494     0 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 1.4K     2 
News   Jul 17, 2024
 619     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Would this be the most number of people who lost power at one time, since the Aug 03 blackout?

Definitely! Occasionally a transformer can take out part of a neighbourhood for half a day or a sub-station could take out a larger area.

Definitely! Occasionally a transformer can take out part of a neighbourhood for half a day or a sub-station could take out a larger area.

This is not to dismiss the magnitude of the outage - and while the media has perhaps handled the 300K number poorly - multiplying that by 200K is just a poor inference. Presumably of the 300,000 customers out of power also included businesses. While the total number of people effected by the outage is undoubtedly over 300k, I thought Shelley Carrol's tweet was also hyperbolic.

This is not to dismiss the magnitude of the outage - and while the media has perhaps handled the 300K number poorly - multiplying that by 200K is just a poor inference. Presumably of the 300,000 customers out of power also included businesses. While the total number of people effected by the outage is undoubtedly over 300k, I thought Shelley Carrol's tweet was also hyperbolic.

I thought 1 million was a pretty legitimate estimate. When you factor in condos, apartments and family homes 1 million is very feasible.

I wasn't completely sure but I thought the "2.5 people per customer" estimate was a hydro provided number so I did some digging and found the below:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ice-storm-aftermath-30-000-customers-still-without-power-1.2477813

[Toronto Hydro CEO Anthony] Haines, who noted that the average Toronto Hydro customer is equivalent to 2½ people, said he sympathizes with people.

"[Toronto Hydro CEO Anthony] Haines, who noted that the average Toronto Hydro customer is equivalent to 2½ people, said he sympathizes with people."

By that explanation, a "customer" must mean a single unit. ie: Each unit in a condo or apartment building must count as a customer, regardless of the number of accounts?

Also, it does not seem ( to me, at least ) to include commercial customers, because a single account could involve hundreds of people.

Last edited:
I just realized that Toronto never had anything like and Occupy Sandy response. Occupy Sandy did go door-to-door, checking on people, bringing food & water, helping people get to safer locations, etc. And they still have various Sandy projects going.

I wonder why nothing like that happened here. Is it because Americans know the official response will be useless, so they just get on with it, while Canadians are a bit naive about their government still? Or were things just not bad enough here to spark that kind of response? Curious.

to be fair, there is nothing naive about expecting more from your government when they take a much bigger chunk out of your pay for taxes than in the U.S.

l.jpg

http://www.yelp.com/biz_photos/king...peYZDSlR1BVFL4DZ56xONQ#peYZDSlR1BVFL4DZ56xONQ

Attachments

• l.jpg
    l.jpg
    70.6 KB · Views: 556
U.S. news site gives Rob Ford ‘public corruption’ award for his scandal-plagued year

The U.S.-based online political news outlet Talking Points Memo chose the winners Thursday of its seventh annual Golden Dukes awards, “recognizing the year’s best purveyors of public corruption, outlandish behaviour and The Crazy.” And despite the news site’s American focus, 2013 was a banner year for Toronto Mayor Rob Ford.

Ford took three-and-a-half of a possible seven awards this year, tying with failed New York mayoral candidate Anthony Weiner in the category of Best Scandal – Sex and Generalized Carnality (no doubt Ford’s domestic dining habits helped him compete with the sexting Carlos Danger). Ford’s other accolades are for having the best local scandal, the best general scandal, and outstanding achievement in corruption-based chutzpah.

[...]

According to editor Josh Marshall, a delegation is visiting Toronto early in January to deliver the golden statuette, made in the image of the California congressman who is its namesake.

“This isn’t like Gawker. We’re not showing up unannounced and meeting with drug dealers in some parking lot,” Marshall wrote on TPM over the weekend. “This is a public delegation arriving in your city on public business.”

http://o.canada.com/news/local/rob-ford-2013-golden-duke-award-tpm/

to be fair, there is nothing naive about expecting more from your government when they take a much bigger chunk out of your pay for taxes than in the U.S.

If you live in NYC the combined effective tax rates from the three levels of government (fed, state, city) are higher than income taxes here.

If you live in NYC the combined effective tax rates from the three levels of government (fed, state, city) are higher than income taxes here.

Not to mention cost of compliance. The Canadian tax system is pretty complex, but US is way more so--which means lots of $$$ for accountants if your financial situation is even slightly complicated.

Tax-wise I don't think most US jurisdictions have had much of an edge on Canada in a long time--and that's especially true once you start thinking about health insurance premiums there.

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 36m

"There will be no opportunity for media interviews with the Mayor at the levee" press release on Mayor Rob Ford's New Year's levee #TOpoli

Don Peat ‏@reporterdonpeat 32m

No answer from Mayor Rob Ford's chief of staff or press secretary on why Ford decided not to cross U.S. border for Winter Classic #TOpoli

Aaaand it's back to usual business for Ford now that the storm situation is winding down.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back