News   Jul 17, 2024
 808     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
26 members (out of 44) at city council meeting today

I'm only watching to hear about the development applications - it's a gong show

She's like a kindergarten teacher up there

Very funny how Rob pretends to be led out of council chambers in handcuffs... and then this--

ddale8 10:13am via Twitter for iPhone
Mammoliti to reporters: I didn't mean my apology at all, but they made me do it, and we had to get on with business.

Last edited:
Maybe Rob should use Mammo's line because I'm pretty sure he doesn't mean his apologies either

Very funny how Rob pretends to be led out of council chambers in handcuffs... and then this--

ddale8 10:13am via Twitter for iPhone
Mammoliti to reporters: I didn't mean my apology at all, but they made me do it, and we had to get on with business.

Damn, this pisses me off. These two clowns are treating Council as a joke. Good thing Douggie is not around. Sure he'll join in to make it the three stooges.

The Ed Keenan article linked to above is well written, as is normally the case with Keenan's work - though the subhuman pro-Ford trolls responding to it in the comments section: Ye Gods!!! - but it misses the mark just ever so slightly IMO. What Keenan fails to take into account is that many of us, possibly even most of us, are being subjected to this carnival sideshow whether we want it or not. It's like sitting next to some extremely loud party in a restaurant; in that situation, you're being forced to eavesdrop against your will, and any complaints to the management are entirely depenent on how reasonable the other party is willing to be. If they're contrite, and tone it down some, fine. If not, well...You're stuck there until you finish your meal, unless the disruption's so bad that you decide to bail altogether.

Of course, if the people causing the disturbance are so disruptive, then they can be thrown out, right? But that rather depends on how willing the management is to police their establishment. If the other party's behavior comes just short of crossing that line, but is still bad enough to spoil your evening, then you're fucked. Or let's say their behavior is bad enough to justify being thrown out, but the management is too gutless to do so. That would seem to be the closest analogy to Ford's stranglehold on city council, particularly with the spineless likes of Nunziata supposedly overseeing things.

Like it or not, Ford is still Mayor (in name at least), and his behavior simply isn't something we can ignore. I might also add that following the seemingly endless tabloid trash series that is the Ford Family dynamic in the hopes of finally seeing His Oafship get some comeuppance is hardly the same thing as being addicted to Ford's scumbag antics as such. Believe me, I'll be happy when he finally slithers off the public stage for good, and I never have to think about him again.

Last edited:
John D:

I think it is pretty imperative to get these individuals off the council chamber at the first sign of misbehaviour - the ongoing drama just help said folks to undermine the serious work of the council (vis-a-vis the crypto-argument for a strong mayor system).

AoD

It's like sitting next to some extremely loud party in a restaurant; in that situation, you're being forced to eavesdrop against your will, and any complaints to the management are entirely depenent on how reasonable the other party is willing to be. If they're contrite, and tone it down some, fine. If not, well...You're stuck there until you finish your meal, unless the disruption's so bad that you decide to bail altogether.

Your analogy is a good one but you've missed the part where about 25-30% of the other restaurant goers actually support (even idolize) the table causing the disturbance. They hate you so much (even though they've never met you) that they love watching that table ruin your evening. Then when you ask them to explain why they think it's acceptable behaviour they scream obscenities at you.

That "apology" was lame and totally unbelievable.

And according to The Globe and Mail, the legal deadline for an apology after being served the notice of libel was Sunday night. I suppose that Dale can always choose not to continue with the action, but Ford's notpology technically did not meet the requirements of the law.

Last edited:
Another sorry, sorry, sorry from Mr. Ford. It's xmas and I guess a dancing bear, um... mayor, will become part of the holiday tradition at council.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back