180     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 282     0 
News   Jul 08, 2024
 525     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think earlier posters here had it right...the Ford revelations won't be out until after Tuesday's memorial service for Mandela. So I'm guessing it will be in the Thursday or Friday papers. They may as well hold off until the weekend. I was a bit of a jerk on Twitter and asked Cooke about it and—surprise!—no response.

The 50K is rather pathetic - it's a drop in the bucket out of his personal net worth, and it's designed to solicit maximum media exposure while minimizing cost. One has to wonder - how much does each Ford Fest actually cost the city in terms of cleanup and police OT instead.

AoD

Not if anyone at the Canada Revenue Agency is paying attention (big assumption).

I don't think trips to City Hall, to the Esso station, the LCBO, the high school parking lot, and Douglas B. Ford Park qualify.

That section applies to a self-employed person who buys or leases their own vehicle and then wants to claim a capital cost allowance deduction based on the % of use that is for their business. (BTW capital cost allowance can only be claimed on a maximum of about $20,000 of the purchase price or capital portion of the lease.)

if, as here, a corporation buys or leases a vehicle and allows an employee, or director, or shareholder to use it, that person is treated as receiving a taxable benefit based on the % of the use of the vehicle for purposes other the the business of the corporation. It would seem implausible beyond measure for Robinoccio to claim that he makes more than a trivial use, if any at all, of the Escalade for the purposes of Deco Label's business.

Last edited:
I believe it is possible to make such a donation on a charitable basis; if so then he can include that in donating his city wages. As discussed 100s of posts ago, if Doug has a good living without his councillor's salary then he can afford to donate that salary to charity - at worst, after deducting the donated total he would owe a couple of thousand dollars of net income tax on that salary. Taking his city wages and then donating them (rather than just waiving his councillor's salary) allows him to decide to whom to donate them.

Do we even know he actually does donate his salary? I mean, we know he SAID he was going to, but with the Fords that doesn't seem good enough. Has he ever shown receipts from charities that received the money? Has he ever even said which charities?

That section applies to a self-employed person who buys or leases their own vehicle and then wants to claim a capital cost allowance deduction based on the % of use that is for their business. (BTW capital cost allowance can only be claimed on a maximum of about $20,000 of the purchase price or capital portion of the lease.)

if, as here, a corporation buys or leases a vehicle and allows an employee, or director, or shareholder to use it, that person is treated as receiving a taxable benefit based on the % of the use of the vehicle for purposes other the the business of the corporation. It would seem implausible beyond measure for Robinoccio to claim that he makes more than a trivial use, if any at all, of the Escalade for the purposes of Deco Label's business.

True, and Rob knows all that because as the CFO of Deco he would have been responsible for filing the tax returns.

There is no public (as in open-to-the-public) repository of charitable donation receipts. So far as I can find he has never been asked these questions, and so far as I know there are no means to compel him to answer such questions if asked.

There is no public (as in open-to-the-public) repository of charitable donation receipts. So far as I can find he has never been asked these questions, and so far as I know there are no means to compel him to answer such questions if asked.

I sure would like to know the answer, though! And for a guy as unsubtle and ego-driven as Doug, it does seem telling in a way that he hasn't talked more about all the people he's helping with his donated salary. I am no internet bloodhound but I bet a few people on this board could get more details if they tried.

A corporate tax return has to be signed by some officer of the corporation - but not necessarily the CFO, if the corporation even has a person with that sort of title (many of course do not). As well, it is very common for small and medium size corporations to hire external accounting firms to prepare their tax returns and the annual financial statements that have to be filed with those returns. So, Robinoccio might never have laid his eyes on a Deco Label tax return, much less prepared one.

If Douginoccio does carry through on his claim that he will donate an amount equal to his councillor's salary then one would expect that he would do it over time and look for opportunities that serve his own ambitions for himself or his baby brother - such as the parks initiative.

This morning, I'm finding myself wishing that the newspapers would grant us a Ford-free day, or perhaps week. Like as in just ignore them, and concentrate on what's new (South Africa, perhaps the Philippines, what have you). Fords are grandstanding at this point, and consorting with criminal types like Conrad Black .. it's all guaranteed to keep them in the news. What crafty little bastards.

We all need a Ford-free existence, at least for a while.

A corporate tax return has to be signed by some officer of the corporation - but not necessarily the CFO, if the corporation even has a person with that sort of title (many of course do not). As well, it is very common for small and medium size corporations to hire external accounting firms to prepare their tax returns and the annual financial statements that have to be filed with those returns. So, Robinoccio might never have laid his eyes on a Deco Label tax return, much less prepared one.

Exactly, thus my sarcasm.

Plus I think that "tweet" of Keenan denying Manuvsteel existed came after this, right?

https://twitter.com/thekeenanwire/status/394668445507522560

What a family that must be to live among. Mom mixing up all manner of noxious health food in the name of 'clean eating' (whatever that is), Dad strutting around like he's some kind of übermensch and everyone constantly one-upping each other in the health and fitness stakes, no doubt.

in light of some of the recent arguments of who is or isn't a troll or a reasonable poster, etc, I'll just leave this here... :p
Tencommandmentsofrationaldebate.jpg
+1

Thanks!

So what's with all the horrible food pics? Some of them look like mouldy poutine.

And those pictures of the teenage girl with a six-pack are squicky in all kinds of ways. Ugh.

The food is, I would guess, stuff that Karla makes in her quest to achieve 'clean eating' (as opposed to filthy eating?).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back