900     2 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 406     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 491     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am willing to give TPS the benefit of the doubt for the time being. If Ford is still uncharged a year from now, then I think serious questions are warranted.

If you're complaining right now, it's like complaining about the plot of a mystery movie when you're only 25 minutes into it.

Keep in mind that on almost a week-by-week basis we learn something new about what Ford and his goon squad has been doing, and what TPS has been doing. Each week there is something new that we didn't know or expect. There is no reason to think that we know 100% (or even 50%) of the intel at this point.

I feel like it's worth keeping ego in mind. Just as the journalists chasing the Ford story were driven both by their professional instincts and huge ego, so too are police driven by a desire to self-aggrandize. Do you want to give the Chief Magistrate a DUI? Or, if you know there are bigger, more sensationalist charges on the horizon, do you let him get away with DUI - and even endanger public safety - to arrest him on something much more serious down the road?

Wow, that's a thoughtful and fair-minded comment. But don't you think that while unlike the Fords, TPS are not evil and stupid, they might be intelligent, well-intentioned, hard-working, and nevertheless failing to make good decisions?
Yes. As I said, I have very extensive firsthand experience with them making stupid decisions. Though they were pro in beating me up. Kicked my back, chest, and arms so there were no visible bruises like my face might show. So, even when they're being assholes they know what they're doing. :)

If this is an extensive investigation then they're piling on evidence and can't jeopardise it by cutting out key suspects on what may end up being much lesser charges than the penultimate ones they're going for.
Cops are pretty clever most of the time, in my experience. (And assholes too...at times)

I'm sure the Ford brothers will develop some new strategies going forward this week. Will they mount a full on attack of Blair directly, or will they try to blacken the names of other councillors, as they threatened to do last week, or will they find a new media outlet to promote their tired shenanigans? In any event, if it's another week in Toronto, we'll certainly have another Ford scandal...

I'm sure the Ford brothers will develop some new strategies going forward this week. Will they mount a full on attack of Blair directly, or will they try to blacken the names of other councillors, as they threatened to do last week, or will they find a new media outlet to promote their tired shenanigans? In any event, if it's another week in Toronto, we'll certainly have another Ford scandal...

They have nothing. Anyone with even half a reasoning mind ignores everything they now say. I do and I have half a reasoning mind (the other half is space cadet).

If this is an extensive investigation then they're piling on evidence and can't jeopardise it by cutting out key suspects on what may end up being much lesser charges than the penultimate ones they're going for.
Cops are pretty clever most of the time, in my experience. (And assholes too...at times)

I think you mean "ultimate"..."penultimate" is second last.

A few questions after reading that long Star report from today.
By the end of the month, investigators, using data recovery technology, would discover the “crack video” buried deep on the laptop hard drive of one of the Project Traveller accused they arrested on June 13, the very same day Blair delivered his tightly scripted promise that “evidence has been secured.”

Since this is clap trap, why would the Star jazz it up with 'buried deep'? What does that even mean? Most gang bangers probably don't understand how hard drives and deleting files actually works, and no data recovery software could recover and play a whole video file if the gang bangers did understand tech and 'deleted' properly.

So since it was, at worst, sitting there waiting to be overwritten, wtf does 'buried deep' mean?

(Legally, police, armed with a special wiretap warrant, can listen in on private telephone conversations and monitor text messages for 90 days before they have to inform their targets. The Project Traveller wiretaps began March 18, according to police documents.)

This is the earliest date I've seen mentioned so far from cops or sources re Traveller other than the 'year long' business.

The narrative has always been that Ford stumbled into a massive gangs/gun probe. But this is the first thing mentioning a doc date I've seen showing the cops were looking into Dixon rd goons before Smith was killed.

Is there more I've missed that shows the scope of the probe Ford bumbled into?

Another blast from the past but still....
"He's a big part of the community," said a friend, Mohamed Sayed. "He's really going to be missed. He was a brother."
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/toron...ith-was-a-big-part-of-the-community-1.1357878

His buddy, with the vid, is giving interviews to the media about the hit.

Seems weird.

And way back when the raid happened.
http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2013/06/13/massive_police_raid_launched_in_toronto.html#

It was the Star reporters on the scene at 4am ready to take the dramatic pics.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this but it seems clear to me the cops have been working with the Star.

The DiManno withdrawal and edit notwithstanding, the Star being johnny on the spot at the raids, and the back story releasing of info as charges/docs become public, seems to me they've had the whole story for a while and have been asked/told to let the legal process unfold before reporting some things and in return they are getting access.

Without being able to quote a line for example, I still get the impression that timeline article today is screaming 'don't worry there's a lot more to come, we'd say more if we could.' Of course, wishful thinking might be at play too.

Like the other poster above with less than ideal interactions with the police, I too have had mixed results with the TPS.

I still trust the process, and more cops than not. I think we have no other choice, yet.

The Attorney General's office does not direct police investigations. They evaluate evidence collected by police and decide if charges are warranted.

Fair enough and I admit I don't know how it works in Canada (or even in real life). However, on TV the US District Attorneys work with police in discussing what a person can/can not or should/should not be arrested for given the evidence at hand So I can see a scenario where the Crown and Blair sit down and to discuss the situation (a criminal investigation of a sitting mayor) and the the Crown saying "Yeah this investigation is larger than possession let this one slide".

Is that completely not realistic?

Things I learned today:

- Anthony Smith was a revenge killing, not associated with the video, though the same actors are involved which has led to justified speculation.

- Most of the TPS, including the Chief of Police were kept in the dark about Brazen 2 -- only briefed at key checkpoints. Giroux's team have had unusual autonomy to minimize conflict of interest. This is the mechanism by which the TPS avoided having the OPP take over.

- Brazen 2 is about to wrap up. The TPS source is growing skeptical that Ford will be charged since he hasn't been yet but agrees that police didn't bust him when they had the opportunity because they're on to something bigger. The source allows for the possibility that they're waiting on a key piece of evidence. If that doesn't pan out, the source agrees that the optics are going to be terrible and the operation will have been a failure given the minor charges laid via a vis the resources expended and the inevitable public opinion hit.

- Charges against Ford rely heavily on Lisi's case going to trial. The source believes that Lisi will take a plea bargain or plead guilty outright to avoid a trial. The source doesn't have insight into Lisi's council but like me understands that he can't afford the legal team defending him and so isn't the one calling the shots on his own defence.

- Rob Ford is Buster Keaton
[video=youtube_share;zsyRhRR5Iu4]http://youtu.be/zsyRhRR5Iu4[/video]

They have nothing. Anyone with even half a reasoning mind ignores everything they now say. I do and I have half a reasoning mind (the other half is space cadet).

This. (Your statement about the Fords, not the one about the quality of your mind! Can't blame the TPS for your mind, apparently, because you say they were careful to avoid head shots. Sorry about the beating--I have genuine respect for you moving forward and not being consumed with bitterness.)

The events of the last few weeks have been astonishing, but not truly hard to believe, because there is a simple explanation. Rob and Doug are even stupider and more out of control than most of us thought before the big stories broke.

What would truly make me question my grip on reality would be if Rob and Doug schemed successfully to get some traction moving themselves out of the hole they're in instead of digging themselves deeper every single time they're in front of a camera or a microphone.

Things I learned today:

[So much good stuff. Thanks along with all the other UT people who will say the same!]

- Rob Ford is Buster Keaton
[video=youtube_share;zsyRhRR5Iu4]http://youtu.be/zsyRhRR5Iu4[/video]

Nerdy correction: Rob Ford, so far, is Buster Keaton's character, not Buster Keaton. Buster Keaton was clever, industrious, and had a keen sense of cause and effect ... :rolleyes:

more reminders of what went down with the fords and the port lands...

On the CBC, Ford had alluded to a presentation where detailed plans for the project had been unveiled and “everyone’s jaw just dropped.” As McConnell and fellow area councillor Paula Fletcher soon discovered, that “visioning” exercise took place at an August 16 in-camera board meeting of the Toronto Port Lands Company, a city agency David Miller had stripped of its development mandate, turning it into a waterfront property manager. As they also discovered, Doug Ford had a connection to the TPLC’s president, Michael Kraljevic, a former real estate executive. They had played on the same high school football team, though Ford insists he hadn’t spoken to the man in 25 years. “Rob and I specifically ran against backroom deals,” he says. “I can assure you, no one influences Rob and me.”

A paper trail revealed that the mega-mall scheme had been in the works since shortly after Rob Ford took office.
In February 2011, Kraljevic wrote to Ontario’s Ministry of the Environment, questioning its environmental assessments of the Port Lands. In May, a lobbyist for an Australian mall developer, the Westfield Group, had met with Doug Ford and the mayor’s new chief of staff to discuss the possibility of a shopping centre on the site. By the time the August 16 TPLC board meeting rolled around, two high-priced architects, Eric Kuhne and Mark Sterling, were presenting elaborate drawings for a Westfield-backed mall—drawings that included an ice palace in the Hearn generating station, an industrial white elephant on which Ford’s campaign donor Mario Cortellucci and his partners held a long-term lease. Astonishingly, TPLC had paid the architects $55,000—a sole-source contract of the very kind Rob Ford had once railed against as a councillor.

Still, it wasn’t until a week later that it became obvious a bureaucratic coup was in the works. An August 22 report from the city manager recommended, out of the blue, that Kraljevic’s TPLC replace Waterfront Toronto as the lead agency in developing the Port Lands.
“All of us kind of had this wake-up call,” Fletcher remembers. “It was like, ‘Whoa!’ ”

When the mayor’s executive committee promptly endorsed the report, the full import of the putsch was clear. It would pave the way to auctioning off some of the city’s most valuable undeveloped real estate—almost all of it contaminated post-industrial land awaiting soil remediation and basic services—at fire-sale rates.

Already, Doug Ford’s boondoggle comments had provoked panicked calls from one of the waterfront’s biggest developers, Texas-based Hines, demanding to know if their deal was off. But when Pam McConnell told the mayor’s brother he had shaken investors’ confidence—perhaps even threatened a multi-million-dollar development—he seemed uncomprehending. “He said, ‘Send them my way and I’ll make a deal with them,’ ” McConnell recalls. “I said, ‘Councillor, that’s the problem: we’ve already got a deal with them.’ ”

With so many deals in the works, the question now was why the mayor and his brother were so eager to speed up the sell-off.
Some councillors speculated that their goal lay far from the waterfront: earning a quick windfall to fund one of Ford’s pet campaign promises. “Many councillors believed the rush for the money was about using it for other projects,” Paula Fletcher says, “like the Sheppard subway.”

By mid-September, more than 140 experts, including urbanist Richard Florida, had released a letter damning Ford’s vision as “ill-conceived” and “reckless.” Ordinary citizens who had scarcely heard of the Port Lands joined in the outcry, protesting a scheme that smacked of a cozy deal and had no community consultation. Even Jim Flaherty, whose office oversaw the federal stake in Waterfront Toronto, was reportedly furious.

http://www.torontolife.com/informer/features/2012/04/09/the-incredible-shrinking-mayor/

Last edited:
A few questions after reading that long Star report from today.

Since this is clap trap, why would the Star jazz it up with 'buried deep'? What does that even mean? Most gang bangers probably don't understand how hard drives and deleting files actually works, and no data recovery software could recover and play a whole video file if the gang bangers did understand tech and 'deleted' properly.

So since it was, at worst, sitting there waiting to be overwritten, wtf does 'buried deep' mean?

I wonder this as well. Did police recover a file on a hard drive that was simply deleted? If so the fact that they have a view-able video means that this was not a difficult task. They were dealing with a simple deletion instead of a file that had been overwritten with secure-delete software.

Could it be that they were not dealing with recovering a deleted file but rather trying to crack the password for a file that had been encrypted? This would be a much more daunting task.

A while back VICE ran a story which claimed that the Mayor's office had hired a hacker to retrieve a copy of the video file that had been uploaded in encrypted form to an online storage account hosted by "bugs3". If the Somali gang members had the knowledge to encrypt the file uploaded to an online account it would make sense that they would also encrypt any copies on desk-top or lap-top computers. I just cannot see the purpose of deleting the video file. There is nothing illegal in the video itself and it is worth lots of money.

When the VICE story came out I speculated on here that the unnamed hacker was well-known Toronto twitter user @manuvsteele AKA "Drunk Superman". "DS" saw my comment (or someone tipped him off) and he actually signed up here and chatted with us for about a day but didn't come back. I still think "DS" holds the key to a lot of this information but naturally is laying low right now (probably on advice of lawyers).

http://www.vice.com/en_ca/read/rob-fords-office-hired-a-hacker-to-destroy-the-crack-tape

It was the Star reporters on the scene at 4am ready to take the dramatic pics.

I'm not sure where I'm going with this but it seems clear to me the cops have been working with the Star.

The DiManno withdrawal and edit notwithstanding, the Star being johnny on the spot at the raids, and the back story releasing of info as charges/docs become public, seems to me they've had the whole story for a while and have been asked/told to let the legal process unfold before reporting some things and in return they are getting access.

I am convinced that the STAR and Toronto Police are working very closely together. With reference to the DiManno story that was pulled off the site only to reappear a few hours later with edits - I kept a copy of the original article and in it reference is made to the effect that Toronto Police had vetted an earlier story on Rob Ford's wife and that the Toronto Star editors agreed with police that they should not release the story (at that time). When the DiManno story was re-posted a few hours later the reference to the Star editors "agreeing with Police" was deleted!

I suspect that that was the reason why the original story was spiked. Someone at Police HQ probably saw reference to Police vetting Toronto Star story's on Rob Ford and the shit hit the fan!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back