805     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 615     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
They need to give options on who they would rather elect for PM: Rob Ford or...?

Rob Ford or...Paul Bernardo?

Rob Ford or...Mike Duffy?

Rob Ford or...Doug Ford?
I'd take Mike Duffy over Rob, and Rob over Doug. Rob is a mentally challenged moral blank, but Doug is the Devil.
I think it's telling that the only one I had to think about for awhile was Rob vs. Paul Bernardo. I guess I'd go with Rob? Argh! Let me get back to you on that one.

Thank you, milkywaymusings.

Democracy doesn't end when the votes are counted and is definitely not limited to dragging ourselves away from the internet long enough to cast ballots every few years. Democracy is about having systems and mechanisms in place to non-violently transfer power from an elected official to another elected official or to a caretaker selected by other duly elected officials.

In this particular instance, a weakness in our municipal system has been made glaringly obvious. Knowing Rob Ford is still the mayor of Toronto annoys me but having parents who fled from violence, revolution and lack of civil liberties on two continents, I'm thankful that there were no tanks trampling Torontonians to seize power from him.

Most Torontonians would have gladly stepped aside to let the tanks through. The real danger would be if Rob or Doug were ever in a position to command an army. Can you imagine?

I'm surprised the Fords didn't jump out of their seat and lash out at the reporter.

me too! i'm sure there are reporters in toronto that could do just as well or better, but the fords won't give them an interview... and they are probably regretting giving that one.

I'm telling you, if they want to do a film treatment, they should do it David Simon styles: 13 episode miniseries. Make the regular cops the focus. Start with a routine drugs investigation. Hell, start way back in 2012 to the Eaton Centre shooting. Give us insight into the Dixon Road area, into racism, accurately depict the Somali community and their relationship with police, and local police work. Introduce Ford in like, Episode 3.

We learn about Ford as the police...and the media do. Like in the real story.

There is just so much more compelling material here about the face of Toronto, the weird politics and demographics of Etobicoke, the relationship between the police and Crown lawyers, the legality of the wiretaps, the work of traditional print journalists in a digital world, the possible small-time corruption of 23 division. Gary Giroux as the guy LITERALLY one year from retirement.

I so want to fucking write this...

I'm telling you, if they want to do a film treatment, they should do it David Simon styles: 13 episode miniseries. Make the regular cops the focus. Start with a routine drugs investigation. Hell, start way back in 2012 to the Eaton Centre shooting. Give us insight into the Dixon Road area, into racism, accurately depict the Somali community and their relationship with police, and local police work. Introduce Ford in like, Episode 3.

We learn about Ford as the police...and the media do. Like in the real story.

There is just so much more compelling material here about the face of Toronto, the weird politics and demographics of Etobicoke, the relationship between the police and Crown lawyers, the legality of the wiretaps, the work of traditional print journalists in a digital world, the possible small-time corruption of 23 division. Gary Giroux as the guy LITERALLY one year from retirement.

I so want to fucking write this...

I think you're well on your way to the unmade season six of The Wire

I watched the interview with her friend and "colleague" - Michael - and he's as old or older than Ford! I'm not saying that this makes her a sex-worker but she seems to like to hang out with guys old enough to be her father. Also Michael said that as far as he is aware Alana had never met Ford before St Paddy's day. I think the fact that Ford described her as a "friend" and we have video of both of them in an Easter parade two years ago disproves this statement. Again not suggesting that Alana "K" is a sex worker - I just didn't find her friend to be credible.

i hate how he's like "she's not a sex worker, she's a nice girl"... like sex workers can't be nice people. if anything, they know how to be nicest.

i get how she would have worked with him at going green for green, but she's worked at his restaurant? that's 2 hours away from ajax. i dunno, seems like a far way to go.

i wonder what he'd say if he saw her staacked photos.

What Jeffrey Simpson neglects to consider is the fact that there are still a large number of people who believe that elections matter and that you don't replace an duly elected mayor with someone un-elected (and in the case of Kelly someone who would be completely un-electable as Mayor).

I've got it Peepers, next election, you visit the 100-odd debates and tell the candidate wannabe-mayors that they can't die, resign, run for other government or be removed for conflict of interest, lest democracy be slapped in the face with the glove of council's discretion to appoint or call an election.

Please, show me the posts of your outrage at Peter Leon being appointed to ward 3, and maybe then I'll believe your righteous indignation.

Royson James takes a look at Ford Nation. Great read:
http://www.thestar.com/news/city_ha...ation_ford_haters_inc_and_the_rest_james.html

Ford Nation, the hardcore supporters — not the ones who voted for Ford out of protest in 2010 and may now experience occasional pangs of guilt — will go down with the sinking ship.
They care not about Toronto’s image or highfalutin ideas about respect for democratic institutions. They cheer when Rob Ford charges through the council chamber like a raging bull, bowls over a female city councillor, and wags his finger at the council gallery, spoiling for a fight.
To expect these voters to change is to be deluded.
Rob Ford’s demise, should it come, will have to find traction elsewhere. Fortunately, the vast majority of Torontonians — between 80 and 85 per cent — hold the key to the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back