801     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.7K     3 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 614     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I wonder what the Toronto Star headline "an end to business as usual" is suppose to mean? It seems to me that what we will be seeing is a return to "business as usual" now that that slime-ball Norm Kelly is in charge. Since he is now the de facto mayor Kelly will be able to take his wife on even more exotic taxpayer funded vacations (http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/19/will-ford-nation-be-replaced-with-spend-nation).

I was down at city hall this afternoon and I was surprised to discover that anybody off the street can go up to the area in front of the Mayor's office. I thought that you would have to show press credentials or be quizzed by security but there is nothing or no one to stop you so I ventured up there and came upon the press conference Kelly was giving to introduce the staffers he raided from the Mayors office. Kelly couldn't even pronounce the names of some of the new staffers. In person the guy is very creepy looking and sounding (looked like he had makeup on). I cannot understand how someone like this can get elected?

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.’”
― Isaac Asimov

I wonder what the Toronto Star headline "an end to business as usual" is suppose to mean? It seems to me that what we will be seeing is a return to "business as usual" now that that slime-ball Norm Kelly is in charge. Since he is now the de facto mayor Kelly will be able to take his wife on even more exotic taxpayer funded vacations (http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/19/will-ford-nation-be-replaced-with-spend-nation).

I was down at city hall this afternoon and I was surprised to discover that anybody off the street can go up to the area in front of the Mayor's office. I thought that you would have to show press credentials or be quizzed by security but there is nothing or no one to stop you so I ventured up there and came upon the press conference Kelly was giving to introduce the staffers he raided from the Mayors office. Kelly couldn't even pronounce the names of some of the new staffers. In person the guy is very creepy looking and sounding (looked like he had makeup on). I cannot understand how someone like this can get elected?

I ask this question out of genuine curiosity, but are you seriously still going on about this? Do you not realize that it is this sort of nonsensical outrage that got us into this position to begin with? I disagree completely with Norm Kelly's ideology but I am still capable of recognizing how incredibly fucking lucky we are to finally have a sensible human being at the helm of our city. He has brought stability to City Hall where no such stability appeared possible, how much fucking more do you want?

J6LdUIJ.gif

too funny! ;)

He has brought stability to City Hall where no such stability appeared possible, how much fucking more do you want?

Pretty obvious Peepers wants someone who will work for free, and who will use his daddy's trust fund to pay for office expenses. That way, Peepers can save $100 on his property taxes, and isn't that what we all want?

Oh yeah, and why be honest about the political staffers who chose to join Kelly's team vs Ford's team, when you can use such sensational Sun News lingo as "raided". :rolleyes:

Pretty obvious Peepers wants someone who will work for free, and who will use his daddy's trust fund to pay for office expenses. That way, Peepers can save $100 on his property taxes, and isn't that what we all want?

Oh yeah, and why be honest about the political staffers who chose to join Kelly's team vs Ford's team, when you can use such sensational Sun News lingo as "raided". :rolleyes:

Well said, and ties in nicely to what Jeffrey Simpson wrote Wednesday morning:

"There is now in Canada, according to all sorts of polls, about 30 per cent of the electorate that is hard-core Conservative/conservative. For them, public policy is almost exclusively about paying lower and lower taxes, while, of course, demanding the same level of services. As long as their leaders deliver on that promise, or keep talking about delivering even if they don’t, this is the prism through which all is judged.
The kind of people who decry high taxes should be furiously against a subway to Scarborough that will cost much more than the light-rail option many urban planners say is more appropriate and cheaper for a sprawling suburban area. But instead, Mr. Ford pitches the subway, and gets $660-million from his Conservative friends in Ottawa for an option that represents a squandering of public money, given the light-rail alternative.
"

hmmmm
For Immediate Release

City of Toronto Ombudsman
Announcement of an Investigation

Toronto – November 20, 2013

The City of Toronto Ombudsman, Fiona Crean, will announce a special investigation
tomorrow, November 21st

The Ombudsman will discuss details of the investigation at a 10:00 am news
conference tomorrow in the Members’ Lounge at Toronto City Hall.

C'mon now. You're supposed to go along with the joke.
I guess I have to realize it's a joke ... after all the craziness here, who knows any more ...

I wonder what the Toronto Star headline "an end to business as usual" is suppose to mean?
And again I don't get the joke. The simple answer is that the headline says "business as unusal" not "usual". But I guess that's pretty obvious. ... but I still don't get the humour here.

Well said, and ties in nicely to what Jeffrey Simpson wrote Wednesday morning:

"There is now in Canada, according to all sorts of polls, about 30 per cent of the electorate that is hard-core Conservative/conservative. For them, public policy is almost exclusively about paying lower and lower taxes, while, of course, demanding the same level of services. As long as their leaders deliver on that promise, or keep talking about delivering even if they don’t, this is the prism through which all is judged.
The kind of people who decry high taxes should be furiously against a subway to Scarborough that will cost much more than the light-rail option many urban planners say is more appropriate and cheaper for a sprawling suburban area. But instead, Mr. Ford pitches the subway, and gets $660-million from his Conservative friends in Ottawa for an option that represents a squandering of public money, given the light-rail alternative.
"

What Jeffrey Simpson neglects to consider is the fact that there are still a large number of people who believe that elections matter and that you don't replace an duly elected mayor with someone un-elected (and in the case of Kelly someone who would be completely un-electable as Mayor). I note also Simpson neglects any mention of London's Mayor Joe Fontana.

What Jeffrey Simpson neglects to consider is the fact that there are still a large number of people who believe that elections matter and that you don't replace an duly elected mayor with someone un-elected (and in the case of Kelly someone who would be completely un-electable as Mayor). I note also Simpson neglects any mention of London's Mayor Joe Fontana.

Now, now, no need to be obtuse. RoFo is still mayor. He just had some things taken away because he doesn't know how to play nicely.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back