News   May 14, 2024
 2.8K     2 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 Resign
2 Step aside for a few months
3 Ask Province/Council to call election

I don't get it. He's always made it clear he's ready to go to another election. I suspect he'd have elections every 6 months if he could.
It's like asking someone do you want me to:
1) shoot you in the head
2) shoot you in the knee
3) ask the bank to give you $5 million.

First, you have no authority to give option #3 and also, rather obviously, its' the more desirable of the options for someone who wants to not be shot. Why would Ford choose to resign or take leave when he can stay in office, everyone knowing full well Wynne won't call an election. Worse, the committee has now handed Ford the ability to say, "I was ready to go to an election but SHE wouldn't let me," putting her on the hit list alongside Blair, The Star et. al.

If that's actually what's transpiring (and I guess we'll have an idea tomorrow afternoon or Monday at latest), it's baffling and, yeah, council should just defund the mayor's office or pass a meaningless-but-symbolic motion asking Ford to step down. He's made it so abundantly clear he has no interest in ever leaving, I can't wrap my head around why they give him that out...It's also the only 3 of the options that totally dodges what's going on now. It's saying, "We don't think you have a drug or any other kind of problem so if you just wanna go to the people and let them decide, that's fine by us..."

(Oh, and to Cooper: the election laws are entirely in the hand of the province, as is everything else to do with municipalities. They could rename Toronto Gooberville tomorrow, and cut it in half if they wanted. So, in theory they could call an election but I can't understand why they would. With everything going on, why would they a) accede to Ford's wishes b) roll the dice on something that could [gasp] leave him in the mayor's chair?)

Last edited:
The more I think about it, this is beginning to look like a stalling tactic by Norm Kelly who was only just recently appointed to Deputy Mayor by Ford. Give the Mayor the option of asking Council to call an election which they won't go along with. Meanwhile weeks pass by and Ford is still mayor with the heat lifted off while Council fights over the by-election proposal.

I hope Councillors and Wynne roundly reject the possibility of an election and keep pressing him to resign.

Maybe Ford could resign on condition that Council calls a by-election instead of nominating someone to replace him? Then he would run in by-election assuming resigning doesn't make him ineligible.

Friday’s other Ford-related court case
Project Traveller wiretaps could finally get released

ITOs are public by default. But wiretaps are secret by default. So what about wiretaps that are included in ITOs?

The media lawyers (Ryder Gilliland for the Star; Peter Jacobsen for the Globe, Sun, Post, CP, CBC, CTV, and Global) argue that, yes, of course it's a judicial "proceeding" when a police officer swears an Information to Obtain before a judge. But the Crown argues that, no, it's not a "proceeding" but merely a judicial "function."

The lower court judge, Philip Downes, agreed with the Crown on this point and ruled that the wiretaps must remain secret. But two and a half weeks later, a Superior Court judge on the Via Rail terror case came to the opposite conclusion when considering the same issue.

[...]

Nordheimer didn't promise a date for his decision but said that he would try to arrive at one "as quickly as I can, due to the circumstances and what's at stake.

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=195142

interesting...

It also provides a glimpse of why police might take such an interest in Lisi and his relationship with the mayor; why it might be concerning to have people with apparent ties to the underworld with ready city access, and why a personal story became public.

“There are an abundance of opportunities for a guy like him to compromise someone like the mayor. Eventually, he could be in the guy’s back pocket,” said a former senior law enforcement officer who has led major drug and organized crime probes.

There are contracts big and small, there are favours of all kinds, if they were able to compromise him. The mere knowledge or witnessing of him using opens up to potential compromise. This guy could do all kinds of damage,” he said.

Ian Greene, is a professor emeritus in York University’s school of public policy and administration after years of work in Alberta’s public service. He has taught on Canadian public law, judicial administration, political ethics and public administration.

“He’s keeping company with criminal elements and that could put the whole city in danger, not only himself,” said Mr. Greene of Mr. Ford. “Criminal elements could think, ‘I’ve got a friend in public office, maybe I can take advantage of that for my personal gain.’”

Mr. Greene said the information unearthed about Mr. Ford’s private life and his relationship with Lisi is clearly in the public interest.

“In order to hold elected office, I think you have to be someone of good character, someone who is honest, somebody that you can trust, somebody who puts the public interest first rather than their personal interest. And you can often judge someone by the company that they keep.

There’s a danger that if you’re hanging out with people who are involved in criminal activities, then you do risk being drawn into those activities and possibly blackmailed.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2013/1...b-ford-into-the-dangerous-world-of-gangsters/

funny how this might not be that far off the mark...

As many of you know, embattled Toronto Mayor Rob Ford and I were enrolled at Carleton University in Ottawa at the same time. We never attended a class together, but we became last-call drinking companions, and over the years whenever one of us has found ourselves drinking alone and pining for the old days, we’d contact one another. Since Rob’s been Mayor, this has been more frequent and we’re often texting one another late at night, conversations which I often post on my Blog. Rob actually likes that I do this, telling me, “You tell it like it is, just like me!” Impressed by my integrity, Mayor Ford has put me on staff as a writer, and my first assignment was to craft a number of pre-prepared press releases for media eruptions that the office anticipates in the near future.

Scandal Scenario #1

A sex tape purported to feature Mayor Ford, his brother Councilor Doug Ford and an unknown prostitute has been circulating the Internet. The Mayor’s office wants to assure everybody that this is a hoax perpetuated by the left wing media in an effort to subvert the democratic process and defame hard working civic officials. The faces of the men in the videotape are not visible, as they are concealed by football helmets, and Rob Ford’s famous third nipple is nowhere in sight. It should also be noted that Rob and Doug are very common names, and the fact that they are repeatedly bellowed throughout the video in no way links the Ford brothers to this robust threesome.

http://michaelmurray.ca/press-releases-for-mayor-rob-ford-that-i-have-been-hired-to-write

CityNews is reporting that Ford met with Executive Committee today. Video also shows him bullying reporters in city hall garage.

http://www.citynews.ca/2013/11/02/rob-ford-meets-with-executive-committee/

Another editorial from the Sun, they address Ford calling cops on reporters and grabbing a reporter's coat earlier today.

http://www.torontosun.com/2013/11/02/rob-ford-is-in-crisis-not-toronto

That video is vintage Ford hypocrisy.

He refuses to answer any questions, then when they're in the parking lot he tells them they're not supposed to be there, bullies them, makes physical contact and then tells them they have to follow the rules.

When does Ford have to follow the rules?

Ford nation seems to have no problem with him going after a female reporter probably less than half his size. I guess that's why he and Lisi got along so well.

Seems like a terrible solution to me. What legitimacy do any of these people have to control the agenda of the city over any other councillour? Councillours like Palacio, Cristani, Kelly, Mammo, Crawford, Nunziata (and Leon, who has only been there a month) are among the most useless members of the 44, placed there because they were least likely to raise any opposition to the wants of a discredited leader. They failed to effect any change over the last five months, some even took positions on the executive after enough news was released to make Ford's troubles obvious.

It's good for them though, isn't it? They get to run the city and make it seem like they're doing everyone a favour. De-funding the Mayor's office actually makes more sense, but what does that do for THEM?

And how exactly do they plan to do this assuming they don't have Ford's cooperation? What's stopping Ford from removing them from the executive?

This is my preferred option. However I fear that this will lead to more sympathy for Ford among the Ford Nation crowd.

Perhaps it's just best for Council to ignore Ford and do nothing else. Regardless of what Ford says or does he's now an illegitimate mayor. A large majority of Torontonians want him out of office ASAP and Council has zero confidence or respect for the man. Council can continue to run the city as they always have and ignore Ford's cries.

I don't care about the Ford nation crowd anymore. Public distaste for Ford is so strong among the non mentally-unbalanced that, even if by some miracle it was orchestrated that Ford run and win again, he would be torn limb from limb by an angry crowd before he even got to the podium to make his victory speech. It would simply not be stood for.

That video is vintage Ford hypocrisy.

He refuses to answer any questions, then when they're in the parking lot he tells them they're not supposed to be there, bullies them, makes physical contact and then tells them they have to follow the rules.

When does Ford have to follow the rules?

Ford nation seems to have no problem with him going after a female reporter probably less than half his size. I guess that's why he and Lisi got along so well.
Yeah, he was basically physically threatening her. All these times Ford gets in people's faces, I'd really like to see what would happen the one time the other person doesn't step back.

Maybe Ford could resign on condition that Council calls a by-election instead of nominating someone to replace him? Then he would run in by-election assuming resigning doesn't make him ineligible.

In his reality, does that not constitute 'gravy'? The Office of the Mayor has been impotent for the past three years - just one more to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back