150     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Still no response to my thought - "Bill Blair is a smart guy - if he was going to pick a day to make up, why the fuck would he pick two days ago? Why not pick, two weeks ago or a month ago? Surely that's more believable"

Sorry, Guitarchitect, I missed that one in all the flurry. But is it not a bit rich for you to complain about my lack of response to ^that on a day like today when you have not once responded to my requests to identify the source of your confidence in the integrity of our criminal justice system. I really wasn't being rhetorical. I'd like to know why you have such faith in the pure motives of the police. I'm hoping that I'm missing something, because I truly would like nothing more than to believe that the TPS is serving and protecting the public interest.

In any event, I'm not sure that you're making a great case re: Blair's timing. You're saying that, if Blair were lying, he would have picked a different day. If it were any earlier, it would beg the question as to why he sat on the information, would it not? I can't see a reasonable explanation for the timing other than that he was sitting on the hard drive but his hand was forced by the Nordheimer ruling. Putting aside your trust in Blair, is that not the simplest explanation?

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

Scarborough Subways
Garbage Privatiaztion
Scrapped Vehicle Registration Tax
Renegotiated Major Union Contracts No Strike

Toronto Life said:
While the entire city has been distracted by the giant blowhard on the screen, the man behind the curtain has accomplished some impressive wizardry. On the labour file, Ford pulled off a previously inconceivable trifecta: he got the city’s largest union locals to sign collective agreements on his terms and outsourced waste collection west of Yonge—all while avoiding any work stoppages. Compare that record with that of David Miller, under whose watch the union’s ranks and paycheques swelled and they still saw fit to wage a strike action that left the city reeking in its own filth.

Name 4 things Miller or Lastman accomplished. I'll wait....

There are several Fidanis, but the most prominent family owns Orlando Corp. They grew up as Ford neighbours, and also have Florida property near them.

A few Fidanis donated to the campaign, and some of them are friends with Doug Ford's daughters.

“Nico Fidani (a former junior staffer of the mayor’s) had brought up concerns that Lisi was providing the Mayor with illegal drugs. Fidani thought that Lisi would drive the Mayor around to “hot spots†and facilitate getting drugs for the Mayor.

“Fidani thought Lisi was addicted to drugs,†the police documents alleged.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...ltiple_meetings_with_alleged_drug_dealer.html

Scarborough Subways

If you get to count an unbuilt subway, you'll have to credit Miller with Transit City.

For that matter, the Crosstown, which is being built, goes in Miller's column, and it will service a much larger area and more people than the Scarborough Subway will...

Scarborough Subways
Sorry, last time I crossed the river they still had an el train

Garbage Privatiaztion
Sorry, last time I crossed the river they still had city garbage service. Although admittedly contracting out the West end was an accomplishment.

Scrapped Vehicle Registration Tax
Providing incentives to motorists in one of North America's most congested cities, while costing the city money. Brilliant

Renegotiated Major Union Contracts No Strike
Doesn't prevent wild cat strikes, will have to be renegotiated soon, and costs the city money.

There's also a list of over a hundred things floating around that Ford did that are inappropriate on some level. Are over a hundred indiscretions worth contracted out garbage service in the West end?

How about - Waterfront revitalization, Spadina Subway, New City of Toronto Act, New Official Plan, etc?

And yes, shocking - purchase of the Green Lane Landfill.

AoD

I have never listened to newstalk1010 for more than 5 minutes at a time (and only ever in a cab) but I have been listening for the past 7 hours. Not once have they mentioned that he's an employee. The good news is that they seemed to have completely turned against him, the bad is that there is no sense of apology. "I don't like to be lied to" is the general stance. Lying is one thing, but being willfully ignorant is another. I hope that along with the vindication to the Toronto Star people also recognize that the Sun et al were being deliberately deceptive. They had to know some of the things that the Star reporters knew. It despicable. The only thing worse is that the callers (and there have been many) who still support him, and demand proof. "Until we know what was in the pipe...."

Sorry, Guitarchitect, I missed that one in all the flurry. But is it not a bit rich for you to complain about my lack of response to ^that on a day like today when you have not once responded to my requests to identify the source of your confidence in the integrity of our criminal justice system. I really wasn't being rhetorical. I'd like to know why you have such faith in the pure motives of the police. I'm hoping that I'm missing something, because I truly would like nothing more than to believe that the TPS is serving and protecting the public interest.
Sorry, it wasn't a critique of you - just an observation, as I thought it was worth hearing peoples' opinions about it and was disappointed it got lost.

I think it's as simple as - I'm not as cynical or jaded as the rest of you, and just because there are a few shitty cops it doesn't make them all bad (I used to be related to a crooked cop, actually... so I have more reason than most to be cynical).

In any event, I'm not sure that you're making a great case re: Blair's timing. You're saying that, if Blair were lying, he would have picked a different day. If it were any earlier, it would beg the question as to why he sat on the information, would it not? I can't see a reasonable explanation for the timing other than that he was sitting on the hard drive but his hand was forced by the Nordheimer ruling. Putting aside your trust in Blair, is that not the simplest explanation?

Evidence like that is controversial and worth keeping under wraps, and the police are not at liberty to disclose it if they don't want to if it's evidence in a case (and this applies equally to the critique of "why didn't they nab Ford after a drug pickup" - the cops won't tip their hand before they need to, and if they are trying to remain discrete and build a larger case to nab a big fish, it's pretty stupid to nab the guy for possession... especially if you think he'll lead you to the big fish). There is certainly an element of "The ruling has forced their hand", but in equal measure I think it's worth being open-minded to the notion that maybe it really is just good timing. Either case is plausible in my mind, and personally I think it would be easier to explain why he would need to sit on it for so long than it would be to handle questions about - or erode the public's trust by being obvious about - a coverup... which is what everyone is asserting here.

But obviously that's just me... in the end, I don't think it matters. As Blair said, it will be shown in court - that's what matters.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back