307     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 471     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 653     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Although anyone who was ever a kid on a playground knows it's hard to go up against bullies. Too easy to fall into "I know you are but what am I" type of whine that causes everyone to line up behind the bully and take their kicks. Need to be resilient and you need support. Think someone needs to go for the truth with Ford and don't let up, take him on even if it sometimes seems less than professional. It's a start by labeling him a bully and a liar.

He already has other councillors lining up behind him. Cllr. Fletcher made a similar statement today, and many other councillors came out in support of him on Twitter over the weekend. I think it takes just one person to start the precedence. I'ld imagine my Councillor (Perks, Parkdale is the best!) would be happy to back Ainslie on this.

Last edited:
I'm guessing Ford Nation will think that since he's being attacked like this he must be doing something right. Chalk up another point for the mayor!

They aren't the people that matter. No matter what happens they'll support him, as has been shown. No matter how many times you show them that he has not only lied, he's admitted it, they still call him "honest". No matter how many times he verbally assaults people, gives them the middle finger, reads while driving, shows up at noon and leaves at 2, they'll defend him. No matter how much evidence is presented to them that shows he's not fiscally responsible, they'll defend his "track record". We can't care what they think because if we play to them, nothing will ever be accomplished.

I would. The police are the third rail of Toronto politics. Just like a politician can't win by talking critically about Israel in US politics (or Canadian politics, for that matter), any candidate who campaigns on cleaning up (or even increasing the efficiency of) the TPA is courting disaster. It's like going after the teachers, but instead of teachers you're dealing with a group that is much less educated, much more prone to mental illness and substance abuse, is armed and happy to make use of their arms, regards itself as above the law, and has resources at its disposal to run smear campaigns and a demonstrated history of running such campaigns.

I see your point if a candidate were to champion the cause. It's still an issue that I think will be brought up more often at campaign town halls in 2014 by concerned citizens. If a new Mayor were elected, they might see a serious house cleaning in the TPS as a high priority before settling in.

I see your point if a candidate were to champion the cause. It's still an issue that I think will be brought up more often at campaign town halls in 2014 by concerned citizens. If a new Mayor were elected, they might see a serious house cleaning in the TPS as a high priority before settling in.

One would think so, but the TPA (which is the power behind the TPS throne) have demonstrated time and again that they will not countenance any such house cleaning. It would take an extraordinarily strong politician (i.e. not a Toronto mayor) to effectively clean house at the TPS. It would also get very, very messy. I'm not sure that it could be accomplished by any politician. It's *THAT* bad.

And in other news:

"Lisi has hired lawyer Seth Weinstein from top criminal defence lawyer Brian Greenspan’s office to defend him in these proceedings."
That's an incredibly expensive lawyer for someone who lives in their parents basement.

"It is unusual for documents to obtain a search warrant in a drug case to be 500 pages. In the Project Traveller case, information to obtain a search warrant which targeted multiple addresses and persons ran little more than 100 pages."
Really interesting.........

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...uld_be_revealed_in_police_search_warrant.html

And in other news:

"Lisi has hired lawyer Seth Weinstein from top criminal defence lawyer Brian Greenspan’s office to defend him in these proceedings."
That's an incredibly expensive lawyer for someone who lives in their parents basement.

"It is unusual for documents to obtain a search warrant in a drug case to be 500 pages. In the Project Traveller case, information to obtain a search warrant which targeted multiple addresses and persons ran little more than 100 pages."

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2...uld_be_revealed_in_police_search_warrant.html

But first we get redactions, delays, publication bans etc. etc. Not holding out great hope. But part of me wants to believe this and the Project Traveler wiretap hearing are the fire under Giroux's ass for busting Ford. If they have what they need however, there should be absolutely zero reason for delay. If he's broken the law, he gets busted.

But first we get redactions, delays, publication bans etc. etc. Not holding out great hope. But part of me wants to believe this and the Project Traveler wiretap hearing are the fire under Giroux's ass for busting Ford. If they have what they need however, there should be absolutely zero reason for delay. If he's broken the law, he gets busted.

I was more pointing to the 500 pages to acquire the search warrant part of it. It's going to be a battle, just like everything else has been a battle, but sometimes the devil is in the details. 100 pages to acquire warrants for multiple dwellings and way more people, 500 for Lisi.

I was more pointing to the 500 pages to acquire the search warrant part of it. It's going to be a battle, just like everything else has been a battle, but sometimes the devil is in the details. 100 pages to acquire warrants for multiple dwellings and way more people, 500 for Lisi.

500 pages? Any pictures? And we have to read every word? Even the big, long ones? Groan.

No wonder Rob ignores reports.

I always start out thinking I can last the whole 2 hours. Haven't made it yet!;)

That's why I download the netcast, I can stop, and when I calm down, I start listening again to the circle jerk.

Last edited:
And in other news:

Was anything actually decided in today's court appearance? Deadlines set for the crown etc? Maybe I'm not reading it (the article) right but I'm not really sure.

we all know that giroux is eligible for retirement at the end of this year, right?

Now in the home stretch of his policing career — he can retire with a full pension in three years

http://www.thestar.com/news/crime/2010/12/31/is_torontos_homicide_squad_losing_its_lustre.html

Was anything actually decided in today's court appearance? Deadlines set for the crown etc? Maybe I'm not reading it (the article) right but I'm not really sure.
"Crown lawyer Tom Andreopoulos said he needs a week to review the search warrant information — which is 500 pages — and black out certain sections. Andreopoulos said the main issue is whether the documents will prejudice the interest of innocent parties — those who police may say were interacting with Lisi but aren’t charged as part of the investigation. The Crown also plans to censor information related to confidential informants and police investigative techniques."

"Crown lawyer Tom Andreopoulos said he needs a week to review the search warrant information — which is 500 pages — and black out certain sections. Andreopoulos said the main issue is whether the documents will prejudice the interest of innocent parties — those who police may say were interacting with Lisi but aren’t charged as part of the investigation. The Crown also plans to censor information related to confidential informants and police investigative techniques."

Right but I guess that is the part I was unclear about. The crown says they need a week - were they granted that? Meaning next Tuesday everybody will be back in court for the next steps? I'm assuming yes but it wasn't really explicitly stated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back