151     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 446     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 623     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
While civic engagement is always to be encouraged, I think folks are underestimating what is going on here. Simply put, Ford is being outed as a drug user, friend to known criminal thugs, and who knows what else coming down the pipeline. Nobody can run for mayor under those circumstances. The Fords aren't comic book super villains. There's only so much that can pile on them before they're through. I believe we are inching closer to that point.

It takes a tough guy to coach tough kids.
Torontodoh said:
You mean it's not a good idea to recruit your drug dealing buddy's enforcer to help coach at risk teenagers who would otherwise be on the street?
Why do we consider these players to be tough kids or at risk teenagers? Because some percentage of them are black or immigrant kids living in high rise housing? Isn't there also expensive housing in this area of Etobicoke? Seems the mix of many high-school catchment areas in Toronto.

That his football players were at risk of involvement in crime if not for his efforts in football is another simple-minded Rob Ford aggrandizing delusion. And it's a bit racist. Rob Ford is a white person from an affluent family and that family is riddled with drugs. His social circle of white friends is also riddled with drugs. Ford and his friends might eventually be seen to be a risk factor for his players. Would Lisi have sold to anyone at this high school?

That is not the issue. People that work with kids should have criminal background checks. It's that simple.

I had a background check to work in a place where children were present even though I had no contact with the kids. Situations like this are shocking because a lot of places are cautious.

Why do we consider these players to be tough kids or at risk teenagers? Because some percentage of them are black or immigrant kids living in high rise housing? Isn't there also expensive housing in this area of Etobicoke? Seems the mix of many high-school catchment areas in Toronto.

That his football players were at risk of involvement in crime if not for his efforts in football is another simple-minded Rob Ford aggrandizing delusion. And it's a bit racist. Rob Ford is a white person from an affluent family and that family is riddled with drugs. His social circle of white friends is also riddled with drugs. Ford and his friends might eventually be seen to be a risk factor for his players. Would Lisi have sold to anyone at this high school?

That is one of the key reasons why the parents of that school wanted Ford gonezo

could win now that Ford got the subway.

Ford didn't get the subway. The subway side won in spite of him. Ford insisted on getting a subway for free so it slipped out of his hands early in his term and the Sheppard LRT was revived. Stintz and DeBaeremaeker persisted for the OneCity plan and finally Ford was convinced to take this subway paid for by tax increases.

Nonetheless, Ford will take credit for the subway so I understand your point. Still, I don't see this winning him much support. The narrow pro-subway pro-tax Ford Nation demographic might support him for this win but if he takes credit for the subway he also owns the debt and tax increases for something that should have been free which will cost him the true Conservative voter that made up so much of his support.
The core Ford Nation battle cry is to end waste, reduce spending, reduce taxes and eliminate the debt. Ford did the exact opposite with this subway. I wonder how that's going to affect his solid 25-30%.

This is a common view on this forum. Somehow all of Scarborough and Etobicoke is a tenement filled, rough and tough, low income, hard scrabble place to be viewed only from afar from a 30th floor, 600 square foot, quartz countered, Starbucks populated, urban condo. Stereotypes both. Both groups should wander into one another's spaces more often.

Ford didn't get the subway. The subway side won in spite of him. Ford insisted on getting a subway for free so it slipped out of his hands early in his term and the Sheppard LRT was revived. Stintz and DeBaeremaeker persisted for the OneCity plan and finally Ford was convinced to take this subway paid for by tax increases.

Nonetheless, Ford will take credit for the subway so I understand your point. Still, I don't see this winning him much support. The narrow pro-subway pro-tax Ford Nation demographic might support him for this win but if he takes credit for the subway he also owns the debt and tax increases for something that should have been free which will cost him the true Conservative voter that made up so much of his support.
The core Ford Nation battle cry is to end waste, reduce spending, reduce taxes and eliminate the debt. Ford did the exact opposite with this subway. I wonder how that's going to affect his solid 25-30%.

Given the 25-30%'s ability to absorb any information contrary to what already rattles around in their heads, I'm guessing the answer is 'very little'.

Is this a sign that the zombie apocalypse is truly upon us? I have no other explanation.

To be fair, this is exactly how Ford talks about them. He suggests that they'd all turn into gun-toting thugs if it weren't for his football knowledge.

I had a background check to work in a place where children were present even though I had no contact with the kids. Situations like this are shocking because a lot of places are cautious.

He lied on the police check and gave the wrong name, that is what the school said (via the Globe.)

I'd like to go back to the time when I thought the reason Ford coached football was because he was a pervy closet case. If it's actually a front for dealer recruitment and getting drugs into high schools, that's some messed-up shit.

Read this on Toronto Reddit. Wouldn't that be an incredible angle.

To be fair, this is exactly how Ford talks about them. He suggests that they'd all turn into gun-toting thugs if it weren't for his football knowledge.

it's like rob ford thinks he's st. john bosco himself...

St. John Bosco, the beloved 19th century Italian priest who sought out the homeless youth of Turin to help them have a better life. He overcame incredible challenges, including the government who wanted him out of the way, an archbishop who tried to silence him, and the revolution that put a price on his head. But nothing could stop Don Bosco from rescuing the poor and outcast children to give them a home, teach them work skills, and catechize them in the Catholic faith.

Don Bosco is the inspiring true story of a brave and holy priest whose single-handed battle to save the children of the streets inspired the formation of the Salesians, which is now a worldwide religious order that carries on his work with youth everywhere.

http://www.amazon.com/Don-Bosco-Story-Apostle-Youth/dp/B007BFOTWW

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back