1.4K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 398     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't see people not capitalizing sentences in internal e-mails, even on portable devices. And if they do ... they won't work there long. Extremely unprofessional. If one doesn't care enough to do as something as simple as capitalize a sentence, then they shouldn't be working there ... or posting here.

It's not like it takes any longer to capitalize a sentence! But it does make it easier and quicker to read. Why should someone read something that the person writing cares so little about?

WHAT? What's with the ageism? I don't see the need for that kind of vile bigotry!

I thought things on this thread got bad last week. Now they're 10x worse. Some people here need to take a week long brake. Honestly.

Some people here need to take a week long brake.

...then your probably going to fast...

Ugh, what hole did you people crawl out of? Stop poisoning my eyes with your spelling and grammatical errors! You're making me dumber!

Joking aside, yeah, enough already. It's a shame that we've got to where we are, and I think it's time we got back on track. Hopefully we can get some laughable (or debate-provoking) quotes out of the radio show today :)

The best case as to why one should care is that we are judged by what we project onto the world. On the internet, it's mostly the words we type (or don't type). When someone sees another not using proper grammar, punctuation, and spelling, we first assume that the person isn't aware or doesn't know how (i.e. 'lacks knowledge') and not that the person knows how but they just don't care. It's a basic dumbing-down of your communications with the world at large. And remember, your communications are direct reflection on you.

see, i would submit that demonstrating one's ability to master and adhere to an arbitrary convention of the written language actually suggests something opposite to what you're onto here. i work in tech here in san francisco and the culture is very much oriented toward dispensing with the unnecessary, the rote, the barriers to communication and creativity and commerce. what you see as dumbing down, i see as de-cluttering, stream-lining and, to a certain extent that we could discuss in a different forum, making more elegant; parsimony and clarity, not convention and adornment. and the jokers that say they'd "fire" people for internal communiques in the lower case, i just roll my eyes, as if anyone with that sort of inflexibility and narrow-mindedness would ever succeed in my field to the extent where that they'd occupy any sort of position of authority.

anyway, this topic is as far removed from rob ford's villainy as any i can think of, so i'll just leave it there. sorry for the drift, i just couldn't believe the bizarre hate i was seeing for a thing i see as pretty much standard.

see, i would submit that demonstrating one's ability to master and adhere to an arbitrary convention of the written language actually suggests something opposite to what you're onto here. i work in tech here in san francisco and the culture is very much oriented toward dispensing with the unnecessary, the rote, the barriers to communication and creativity and commerce. what you see as dumbing down, i see as de-cluttering, stream-lining and, to a certain extent that we could discuss in a different forum, making more elegant; parsimony and clarity, not convention and adornment. and the jokers that say they'd "fire" people for internal communiques in the lower case, i just roll my eyes, as if anyone with that sort of inflexibility and narrow-mindedness would ever succeed in my field to the extent where that they'd occupy any sort of position of authority.

Oh my. As someone who works in publishing and has a fairly decent background in typographic conventions, I have to say that you're showing a complete disregard for the legibility of your writing. Believe it or not, correct capitalization functions as an aide to the reader's eyes. Employing proper capitalization and punctuation is like cutting up your food before you eat it - it may not be necessary in itself, but it certainly helps in digestion. I'm all for a sleek and simple style, and there are plenty of great style guides out there that can help you achieve that (the Guardian's, for example) while maintaining a polished look. Coincidentally, it is almost unanimously agreed that double-spacing after the full stop is a complete waste of space - an excess of 90s word processing amateurism.

Back to the topic at hand (finally!), is anyone else feeling as conflicted as I am over the Etobicoke Centre vacancy? I generally prefer to err on the side of the people whenever it comes down to an election v. appointment scenario, but this time is proving uncomfortable. I just don't like agreeing with His Worship even if I disagree with his motives. Has anyone heard who council might be mulling over for an appointment? Can we expect anyone in particular to jump into the race if a by-election is called? Can we start talking about relevant things again?

If it takes an entire week to come to a stop, then your probably going to fast and need a break. :)

86untitled.jpg

Its not like we're discussing any thing serious anyways... How is everyone's evenings. :)

Last edited:
Can someone please start a "pedants 'r' us" thread so we can get back to Rob Ford's impending crash and burn?

I also found it interesting that you used the term "machine" to describe Rob Ford. If you're referring to the political science concept of a political machine (which is generally used to explain the dominance of the Democratic party in US cities), then I don't think it really fits in this case. Canadian cities have tended not to have the same machine-based politics that occur in the US. Having almost zero support among the traditional "establishment", Ford is about as un-machine like as you can get. Not even the leadership of the Ontario PCs and Federal Conservatives are willing to stick their neck out for him.

Though in terms of Toronto, I've long tended to refer (whimsically, or not) to whatever Paul Godfrey-allied forces as a "Tammany" of sorts...

anyway, this topic is as far removed from rob ford's villainy as any i can think of, so i'll just leave it there. sorry for the drift, i just couldn't believe the bizarre hate i was seeing for a thing i see as pretty much standard.

Oh, wow. This should be interesting. Or at the very least it'll help pass the time for a day or two until Rob does something stupid again.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back