349     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 484     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
From The Star at this link.

That's one way not to make friends.

However, with the police investigating "friends" of the Ford brothers, maybe they'll be better off if they weren't "friends".

I assume Dougie is including Robbie amongst that 80%.

i think this article (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...retrieve-alleged-crack-video/article13836242/) has new info , like...

It’s unclear how Mr. Lisi, almost a decade younger than Mr. Ford, became acquainted with the mayor. But neighbours in Mr. Lisi’s upscale west-end neighbourhood told The Globe the mayor is a frequent visitor to his home. Mr. Lisi lives on Madill Street in Etobicoke with his parents, Antonio and Celia, who bought the house in 2003.

When the mayor first began visiting the street about nine months ago, one source said, he told neighbours he was there to visit his “friend Sandy.”

Mr. Lisi drove away in his Range Rover after spotting two Globe reporters seeking comment outside his home Saturday afternoon. There was no answer at the door Sunday evening, and the driveway was empty and the lights turned off. His lawyer, Domenic Basile, would only say, “I can’t confirm to you that my client is under police investigation; only the police can do that.”

and...

Mr. Lisi is not the only friend of the mayor who is raising questions. Bruno Bellissimo, a childhood friend of Mr. Ford who several sources said has a lengthy history with drugs, was also in the vehicle the night of the Garrison Ball, The Globe and Mail has learned.

A month later, after Mr. Bellissimo was charged with assaulting his parents, Mr. Ford made an after-hours visit to the Toronto West Detention Centre and attempted to see him. The mayor has so far declined to comment on why he attempted to visit Mr. Bellissimo that night.

and for good measure they added...

Another long-time friend, Fabio Basso – whose home Mr. Ford was photographed in front of in a now well-known image – also has a criminal history. In the photograph, which was circulated by the video’s owners along with the video, Mr. Ford is seen with his arms around Anthony Smith, who was later gunned down in front of a downtown nightclub. Also in the photograph are Monir Kasim and Muhammad Khattak, who were both arrested in Project Traveller, a massive crackdown on gangs and drugs.

Developing: A promising lead is being followed regarding a person who's first name is all that I know right now. Mike.

We might not be looking for that video if this pans out. That video wasn't documenting the first or last time that Ford was stupid enough to smoke crack around people who could film him.

Developing: A promising lead is being followed regarding a person who's first name is all that I know right now. Mike.

We might not be looking for that video if this pans out. That video wasn't documenting the first or last time that Ford was stupid enough to smoke crack around people who could film him.

is this the same guy?

Weird, I know. By the way, does “Mike the Ukrainian guy” ring a bell?

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=193284

Is there an ETA? There are now so many bugs in Ford's web, a bit of wind is all that's needed to shake some out.

You mean to tell us that theres ANOTHER video? Holy shit.

there's this too...

Enzo DiMatteo ‏@enzodimatteo 22 Jun

Got a phone call Friday afternoon from one of @TOMayorFord's minions asking to buy an "eight ball" of cocaine...
Details
Joanne Nicolle ‏@JoanneCangal 22 Jun

@enzodimatteo Been following this conversation which I find bizarre.You seem to be aware of "things" that you're not talking about publicly?
Details

Enzo DiMatteo ‏@enzodimatteo

@JoanneCangal I am, yes. What I have said publicly was to illustrate what it is we're dealing with. Scarier than most people want to admit.

https://twitter.com/enzodimatteo/status/348772680884965376

But the city [New York] has been spared the fiscal crises and the upsurges in gang violence that have roiled other cities, including Chicago, and that have even boiled over into riots in such similarly divided global cities as London, Rio, Sao Paulo, and Istanbul over the past several years.

If you think it can’t happen in New York, just look at Toronto, arguably the most multi-cultural city in North America, and long admired for its tradition of progressive governance. On the surface, all is well. Its banks are stable and its economy has purred even more smoothly than New York’s since the crisis. Its skyline is a veritable forest of cranes, with more high-rises under construction than in every other city in North America combined. Admired for its efficient and progressive urban governance, Peter Ustinov long ago dubbed it “New York run by the Swiss.”

But while Toronto’s high fliers have prospered since the crash, the wages of its middle class have stagnated as the cost of living has skyrocketed. Deepening class tensions between the city’s economic winners and losers led white working-class voters and a diverse coalition of new immigrants to elect reactionary and scandal-plagued Mayor Rob Ford, whose purported run-ins with booze, drugs and more make Anthony Weiner and Eliot Spitzer’s personal foibles look like a walk in the park.

http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/rich-man-poor-man-angry-man-article-1.1429415?pgno=2

Doug Ford again took shots at his council colleagues, saying that 80 per cent of them could not find a private-sector job that would pay them the $105,000 salary they get from the city.

After Rogers sportscaster Dana McKeil said he found grenades among the possessions of his late father, a military veteran, Doug Ford joked: “Do me a favour, those grenades, can you send a couple down to city hall? We might need a couple down there, just to straighten the guys out a little bit.”

Careful what you say, Doug. Unless you want to have a search done when you enter city hall?

Doug Ford again took shots at his council colleagues, saying that 80 per cent of them could not find a private-sector job that would pay them the $105,000 salary they get from the city.

Not sure about the 80% part, but I am sure as hell his little brother couldn't - you can't pull 105K answering phone calls for the TTC even.

AoD

But while Toronto’s high fliers have prospered since the crash, the wages of its middle class have stagnated as the cost of living has skyrocketed. Deepening class tensions between the city’s economic winners and losers led white working-class voters and a diverse coalition of new immigrants to elect reactionary and scandal-plagued Mayor Rob Ford, whose purported run-ins with booze, drugs and more make Anthony Weiner and Eliot Spitzer’s personal foibles look like a walk in the park.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/opinion/...ry-man-article-1.1429415?pgno=2#ixzz2cQ6eYQmA

This is interesting, viewing the Rob Ford vote as a popular protest against a corrupt establishment that is battering the middle class. I can sort of endorse the motive/sentiment but hope that people will come to realize that the vote was misplaced. Rob Ford IS the corrupt establishment, or a player in it at least... the proverbial wolf in sheep's clothing.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back