477     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 514     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 514     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Harrison Au has posted on Flagg's FB group. Both Harrison and Donley have been featured in articles in...the Star and the Globe.

Donley's comments on the Mary Walsh visit made me chuckle.

Ford Nation (most likely) on the attack: http://j-source.ca/article/notice-hearing-ontario-press-council

The Ontario Press Council will hold two hearings in response to complaints it has received relating to two newspaper publications:

1. An article published by the Toronto Star, dated May 16th, 2013 entitled “Rob Ford in ‘crack cocaine’ video scandal”

2. An article published by the Globe and Mail, dated May 25th, 2013 entitled “Globe investigation: The Ford family’s history with drug dealing”

The video needs to come out NOW!!

nice find!

The Council will proceed with one of the complaints received in relation to each article. The complainant in the Toronto Star case is Darylle Donley. The complainant in the Globe and Mail case is Connie Harrison. The other complainants will be invited to the hearing as observers and the Council will consider their complaints following its determination of these two matters.

The Council has determined that the issue to be addressed in each of the two hearing is whether the newspaper has engaged in irresponsible, unethical investigative reporting.

[...]

Both hearings will be held on Sept. 9 at Ryerson University. The complaint against the Toronto Star will be heard starting at 10 a.m. and the complaint against the Globe and Mail will be held starting at 1 p.m. The hearings at Ryerson will be held at the Sears Atrium, third floor of the George Vari Engineering and Computer Centre, 245 Church Street. Parking is located on the west side of Church, north of Dundas.

After hearing the submission of the complainant and newspaper in each case and asking questions, the panel will adjourn and deliberate in private. The panel’s findings and recommendations will be presented to the full Press Council when it meets in late September. Following those deliberations, the Press Council decisions will be made public and posted on its web site.

Last edited:
[this is quoted in error, sorry. look for darylle donley further down in this thread for guitarchitect's correction]

Darylle Donley, Toronto

It is not surprising that the Metrolinx recommendations solely focus on the standard taxes to be levied on Ontarians in order to raise the $50 billion needed for the Big Move transportation plan.

While it is claimed that this strategy “reflects residents’ hunger for accountability and fairness in the way the money is collected and distributed,” one does not see any out-of-the box thinking from Metrolinx.

Why not get the private sector involved in a win-win proposition? Large Canadian corporations could be persuaded to come to the table and make comitments to defray part of these huge costs if they were suitably acknowledged/rewarded.

And how about the OLG floating a special Big Move Lottery that could funnel a steady stream of funds for this key initiative that benefits Ontario residents? The Big Move calls for our collective Big Thinking.

http://www.thestar.com/opinion/letters_to_the_editors/2013/06/01/funding_transit_who_will_pay.html

Last edited:
Harrison Au has posted on Flagg's FB group. Both Harrison and Donley have been featured in articles in...the Star and the Globe.

Donley's comments on the Mary Walsh visit made me chuckle.
Ooh, Mary Walsh – scary

Regarding the 411 on Ford’s 911 (NOW, November 3-9). I wouldn’t know Mary Walsh if I tripped over her. If she accosted me at any time, never mind in that outfit with a sword on her ample hips, I would probably push her and then call 911.

She touched Mayor Rob Ford on the shoulder. How would Walsh react if someone came up to her early in the morning in her driveway?

Walsh is not a particularly delicate, fragile-looking person and could easily be a threat to anyone, even without opening her vicious mouth.

Darylle Donley
Toronto

http://www.nowtoronto.com/mobile/story.cfm?c=183622

ford-support-harrison04to1.jpg

Name: Connie Harrison

Occupation: Student and volunteer, currently on the Ontario Disability Support Program

Neighbourhood: St. Jamestown

My ride: Walking, riding the TTC

My last mayoral vote: David Miller in 2006 and 2003.

My political identity: "Left-of-centre."

My top issue: Improvements to Toronto Community Housing and city shelters

Connie Harrison says with a laugh that she knows she's not a typical Rob Ford supporter.

A mother of three grown children, including a severely autistic son, Ms. Harrison is a part-Aboriginal cancer survivor who lives in a social-housing tower in the blighted St. Jamestown projects north of Cabbagetown.

In other words, she benefits from precisely the kind of public programs that could fall under the axe in a Ford administration. But she's sure that if Mr. Ford were wielding the blade he'd have the guts to tell her straight that cuts were coming. That endears him to her.

"His language is plain and blunt and to the point," she said. "He doesn't use words like 'partnership,' 'engage,' 'liaison,' all the fluff words we're using over the last decade that were probably invented by consultants so they could charge more money."

The Etobicoke councillor's style is infinitely preferably to David Miller's, she says, citing one of the outgoing mayor's legacy programs to retrofit concrete high-rises across the city.

"Oh god, if I could show you some city documents from the recent tower renewal, it's all just fluff language to make people get baffled," she said. "It's a softener for the gentrification that's coming in. I just wish people would say, 'Guess what, guys? You're being gentrified. Your buildings are probably all going to be torn down in a few years, so start planning now.' I wish someone had the balls to tell me that. I think Ford would."

Having seen up close some of the programs the city runs for the needy, Ms. Harrison is incensed at the waste and inefficiency, something she believes only Mr. Ford could change. His "frugality" is one of her favourite things about him. She likes that he supports portable rent subsidies to cut down Toronto Community Housing's legendarily long waiting list.

All that, plus his promises to cut council and taxes, is enough to make her overlook Mr. Ford's personal failings and foibles. The fact that he lied to a newspaper about a marijuana bust before admitting to a news conference that he "forgot" he had a joint in his pocket because he was actually pulled over for drunk driving in Florida 11 years ago doesn't bother her.

"He is every one of us. When we set people up to impossible standards, who are you going to get? You're going to get somebody completely phony and fake." Ms. Harrison isn't willing to forgive Mr. Ford everything, though. She can't abide his crusade to save money by getting rid of wine and cigarettes for the homeless men enrolled in a harm-reduction program at Seaton House, the city's largest shelter.

"On the wine thing I was furious with him," she said. "There's these poor old gentlemen who are severe alcoholics and they live in the shelter and he wanted to take it away."

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...-voting-for-rob-ford/article1379370/?page=all

Attachments

• ford-support-harrison04to1.jpg
    ford-support-harrison04to1.jpg
    9.6 KB · Views: 347
I wonder what DiManno means by this statement:

Believe me, if we wanted to attack the mayor’s family, there is more than enough ammunition to do so. Instead, the Star — I can’t speak for any other news organization — has deliberately chosen not to go there, despite on-the-record interviews with no less an authority than Police Chief Bill Blair.

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/201...r_police_no_comment_is_no_answer_dimanno.html

DiManno seems to be suggesting that the Star has lots of dirt on other members of Fords family and that it has been confirmed by "on-the-record interviews with no less an authority than Police Chief Bill Blair".

This is intriguing because I can't imagine Bill Blair confirming to the media details of embarrassing information pertaining to members of the Ford family since he is so tight lipped regarding allegations pertaining directly to Rob Ford.

Further proof that Ford's base is not necessarily white suburbanites with their SUVs, but minorities with poor comprehension of city politics.

I'll never forget my experience political canvassing at Don Mount Court in the east end in 2004. One resident saw my orange coloured button and declared that she "wanted government out of her life" before slamming the door of her government-subsidized townhouse.

I'm pretty sure you've got the wrong quote here, and you should probably edit your post - starting from the top, the authors of the letters are at the bottom (which lines up with the end of the article, too). Which is OK, because hers is actually much less intelligent than the one you posted and is way more in line with the Mary Walsh crap.

Darylle Donley said:
Very interesting to notice that the additional $477 in taxes is to “overcome a generation of public transit neglect.” That would be the period of David Miller’s and Dalton McGuinty’s reign. Money was wasted on travel, French lessons for the then-TTC leader who now works in Quebec, pomp and ceremony but not on practical and boring items.

Now that Mayor Rob Ford is trying to play catchup after His Blondness’ blunders, those left-leaning councillors are too busy creating in-fighting at city hall to allow Mayor Ford to get anything practical done.

Kathleen Wynne should realize that the Liberals have already wasted an incredible amount of money in cancellations, silly energy plans, etc. Between the city and the province something should be able to be worked out.

Darylle Donley, Toronto

Last edited:
I'm pretty sure you've got the wrong quote here - starting from the top, the authors of the letters are at the bottom. Which is OK, because hers is actually much less intelligent than the one you posted and is way more in line with the Mary Walsh crap.

you are right... thank you for pointing out the mistake.

"The Toronto Sun submitted a freedom-of-information request to the mayor’s office and Councillor Doug Ford’s office seeking any e-mails from the last six months that included the words “crack cocaine.”

Can an FOI be filed to obtain call lists from a home telephone or cell number when those numbers are used on city business cards?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back