891     2 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 795     0 
News   Jul 18, 2024
 583     0 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
oh man you are just so text-book it's hilarious. in every way, you are, in every imaginable way, THE EXACT definition of:

THE CONTRARIAN TROLL.

Contrarian Trolls frequent boards whose predominant opinions are contrary to their own. A forum dominated by those who support firearms and knife rights, for example, will invariably be visited by Contrarian Trolls espousing their beliefs in the benefits of gun control. It is important to distinguish between dissenters and actual Contrarian Trolls, however; the Contrarian is not categorized as a troll because of his or her dissenting opinions, but due to the manner in which he or she behaves:

Contrarian Warning Sign Number One: The most important indicator of a poster's Contrarian Troll status is his constant use of subtle and not-so-subtle insults, a technique intended to make people angry. Contrarians will resist the urge to be insulting at first, but as their post count increases, they become more and more abusive of those with whom they disagree. Most often they initiate the insults in the course of what has been a civil, if heated, debate to that point.

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Two: Constant references to the forum membership as monolithic. "You guys are all just [descriptor]." "You're a lynch mob." "You all just want to ridicule anyone who disagrees with you."

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Three: Intellectual dishonesty. This is only a mild indicator that is not limited to trolls, but Contrarians display it to a high degree. They will lie about things they've said, pull posts out of context in a manner that changes their meanings significantly, and generally ignore any points for which they have no ready answers.

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Four: Accusing the accusers. When confronted with their trolling, trolls immediately respond that it is the accusers who are trolls (see Natural Predators below). Often the Contrarian will single out his most vocal opponent and claim that while he can respect his other opponents, this one in particular is beneath his notice.

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Five: Attempts to condescend. The Contrarian will seek refuge in condescending remarks that repeatedly scorn his or her critics as beneath notice – all the while continuing to respond to them.

Contrarian Warning Sign Number Six: One distinctive mark of Contrarian Trolls is that every thread in which they dissent quickly devolves into a debate about who is trolling whom. In the course of such a debate the Contrarian will display many of the other Warning Signs mentioned above.

Made me laugh. Everything in here is true :rolleyes:

What we need is a more centrist Mayor next election who can bring people together, has a true transit vision and who represents all Torontonians - or at least who is seen to represent all Torontonians.

Otherwise, Toronto in ten years

I would definitely like a centrist, but we need that true conservative in the next election to show people that Rob isn't the only (or even the best) choice. Otherwise we end up with the fact that everyone who's not Ford is automatically labelled a leftist by his divisive techniques.

This is about Ford. It is about the double-standard the media uses. They criticize Ford for not attending pride parade but not McGuinty who has never attended either.

there should be a double standard. because Ford is an insecure bigot and a bully, and has demonstrated it over and over again. whereas McGuinty is not a bully, and is not a bigot.

so his non-appearance at Pride Toronto doesn't say anything about the larger truth of his character and beliefs.

everyone knows why Ford stays away, and it has to do with homophobia. you know, his "Justin Trudeau is a f-g" type of homophobia.

The Pride parade is a city event. I would no more expect the premier of Ontario to show up than I would expect the governor of California to attend San Francisco's parade. (I also don't recall anyone making an issue of whether Mike Harris or Ernie Eves attended either.)

Last edited:
I would definitely like a centrist, but we need that true conservative in the next election to show people that Rob isn't the only (or even the best) choice. Otherwise we end up with the fact that everyone who's not Ford is automatically labelled a leftist by his divisive techniques.

We've had a bad streak of conservatives in Toronto. First Lastman and then Ford. Are there any conservatives other than Stintz who are likely to run?

It's one of the biggest parades of its kind in the world. Its significance is national at least, if not international. That's why the prime minister, Stephen Harper, should attend.
But what about Ottawa's Pride Parade? Should the premier attend that one, as well as the Prime Minister? How about Vancouver's, or Montreal's -- should Harper go to those as well?

Toronto's parade is one of the largest in the world, but in all cases the parades are city events, and not national or state -- they are put on by local groups. It would be great if the premier and or PM attended, but I don't think it's a duty like it is for a mayor.

The difference for McGuinty is that there are at least a dozen pride festivals across Ontario over the summer. Toronto has one.

Actually I'd guess that it's a lot more than a dozen. Lots of small towns and cities have pride festivals now.

there should be a double standard. because Ford is an insecure bigot and a bully, and has demonstrated it over and over again. whereas McGuinty is not a bully, and is not a bigot.

so his non-appearance at Pride Toronto doesn't say anything about the larger truth of his character and beliefs.

everyone knows why Ford stays away, and it has to do with homophobia. you know, his "Justin Trudeau is a f-g" type of homophobia.

I'm sick of hearing this nonsense about Ford being homophobic.

Name one thing he has ever said that is homophobic.

He made one comment that is statistically true (in regards to AIDS) and that seems to be the entire basis for calling him homophobic.

There was a huge discrepancy in the initial allegations of the crack video, as John Cook said the speaker off camera said the "Justin Trudeau is a fag" line. Right now, this is an unproven and highly suspect allegation (the Trudeau line, not the video).

http://www.nowtoronto.com/news/story.cfm?content=186617
http://www.cartt.ca/news/14891/Radi...oadcast-on-CFRB-ruled-homophobic-by-CBSC.html

One isnt only judged by their words - but also by their actions. Anyone who is remotely aware of the issue would have cut that comment short - and he isn't one to hesitate to do that on his show. Besides, he himself has taken heat on a comment of a similar nature - which he had to apologize for - what does it tell us about his capacity for learning and the apology for his original comment? And yes, please also remind me the use of the code word "homosexual" per Fox News. Oh and do remember the variants of "I know lots of gay people" defense as well. It's almost stereotypical .

AoD

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Back