169     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 923     3 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 1K     1 

Rob Ford's Toronto

Status
Not open for further replies.
Stintz supported Ford's subway plan to get the TTC Chair job. A year later, she switched to supporting the Transit City plan. A few months later she came up with her One City plan with a B-D subway to Scarborough. A few months later she voted to support Metrolinx and the Transit City Plan. A few months later (this year), she again voted for a B-D subway to Scarborough. I would say she has no credibility on transit. Transit is the weakest file for Ford and it seems unlikely that the person who took control of that file away from Ford would be seen as competant.

Stintz saved the transit file from Ford's machinations after he ditched Transit City (which was a problematic plan in some respects) and made the Eglinton route viable and cost-effective. One City was also a good plan, but badly executed. As you say Ford sucks in this area, and she at least is trying to salvage something. That's what most voters see, I promise you.

Rob Ford intervened in North York fence dispute, neighbours say

From The Star, at this link:

A homeowner was upset about the city's demand to tear down part of his fence after city inspectors ruled it a safety hazard.

cifence18.jpg.size.xxxlarge.letterbox.jpg

The letter from the city was titled “Final Notice of Violation.” It gave Nick D’Amario two weeks.

D’Amario had erected a wooden fence on public property beside his corner house near Downsview Park. While North York’s community council had given him permission to build a fence, city inspectors ruled in 2010 that this one was “not built to approved plans,” caused “sight line obstructions” for drivers coming around the bend, and needed to be made smaller.

The city sent letters to D’Amario in June, July, August, and November of 2010. The community council rejected a proposal from D’Amario in June 2011. The city’s “Final Notice,” dated Oct. 13, 2011, ordered him to take down the four fence panels closest to the corner.

People pass along the offending fence on Gilley Rd., which residents banded together to have taken down because it blocked the sightlines of drivers.

The order did not turn out to be final.

Two weeks later, on Oct. 27, the top city transportation official, Gary Welsh, met with D’Amario. Welsh offered him a break: he could take down just the final panel, not all four.

The six neighbours who had complained about the fence were bewildered. The city had agreed for more than a year that the fence was a hazard. Why would officials suddenly change their minds two weeks after they issued a supposedly final order?

The city has not given the neighbours an answer, and it did not answer the Star’s questions. It appears, however, that the city’s position shifted soon after Mayor Rob Ford got involved.

D’Amario’s neighbours filed a freedom of information request. Among the emails they obtained: one sent by Welsh six days after the “Final Notice” and eight days before his meeting with D’Amario.

“I received an urgent request from the City Manager to have Transportation staff get in touch with (censored) regarding the encroachment agreement issue,” wrote Welsh, now retired. He added: “The City Manager would like staff to call today, if possible, and have a status update for him and the Mayor by tomorrow morning.”

Ford is renowned for personally returning residents’ phone calls. He regularly visits their homes, senior bureaucrats in tow, to offer assistance with even minor local disputes — such as one about a pile of sand in a man’s backyard.

The city refused to discuss the nature of Ford’s involvement in this case, and Ford’s spokesmen did not respond to emails. But neighbour Steve Tonon said city employees confided that Ford had intervened in some unspecified way.

“Basically, they would say, ‘Our hands are tied, it’s beyond my department now.’ They would tell us, ‘off the record,’ under their breath, that the mayor’s office was involved. And through the Freedom of Information Act, we saw that there was some kind of trail there,” Tonon said.

“If this is the way he wants to be a mayor, I don’t like it. It was his city (staff) that said these four panels were not safe, that this was a sight obstruction. How can a mayor come there and say, ‘There’s nothing wrong with this fence’ after the department has deemed it unsafe? If this is the way he wins votes, it’s not very democratic.”

The city manager, Joe Pennachetti, is Toronto’s chief civil servant. He earned $330,000 in 2011.

Pennachetti declined to comment. City spokeswoman Wynna Brown said Pennachetti “doesn’t recall this specific matter.”

“He is sometimes contacted directly by a resident or a member of council about operational issues. He typically refers these incidents to the appropriate division head for follow up and response,” Brown said.

The community council voted Tuesday to order D’Amario to remove the entire fence — though the neighbours had asked only to require him to take down the three panels.

D’Amario’s lawyer, Daniel Artenosi, said D’Amario was not given adequate notice of the debate, doesn’t believe the fence is dangerous, and is “very upset.” He is “considering his options,” Artenosi said.

“We have a real concern with the way the procedure played out,” he said. He added: “My client is definitely committed to addressing any public safety concerns.”

There is a parkette across from D’Amario’s house, at Keswick Rd. and Gilley Rd. Another neighbour, John Teti, said a young girl was nearly hit by a car as she crossed the street on a bicycle in April, a teenage boy on a skateboard in May, and a younger boy visiting from Italy in early June.

Councillor Maria Augimeri said Ford had put city staffers “in an untenable position.” She said she wishes “we had more members of staff who are able to show some backbone in defending the community council decision, and children’s safety.”

Artenosi said he was only hired in the past week and does not know whether D’Amario called Ford. D’Amario declined to comment.

"Safety" is word not in Rob Ford's vocabulary.

City property does not end at the curb or sidewalk. That fence was put up on city property. City inspectors wanted that fence removed, for safety concerns. If there was a serious incident because of the poor side-lines, the city would end up in trouble for allowing it.

However, it looks like Rob Ford may not be so concerned about safety, even when raised from several neighbours.

Last edited:
Rob Ford intervened in North York fence dispute, neighbours say

The Star

"Safety" is word not in Rob Ford's vocabulary.

City property does not end at the curb or sidewalk. That fence was put up on city property. City inspectors wanted that fence removed, for safety concerns. If there was a serious incident because of the poor side-lines, the city would end up in trouble for allowing it.

However, it looks like Rob Ford may not be so concerned about safety, even when raised from several neighbours.

Ford is famous for micromanagement, no doubt this is just another case of "If your councilor won't do anything..." to carry favour, instead of allowing people to do their jobs.

"The city manager, Joe Pennachetti, is Toronto’s chief civil servant. He earned $330,000 in 2011."

Not sure what his salary has to do with the story...

Stintz saved the transit file from Ford's machinations after he ditched Transit City (which was a problematic plan in some respects) and made the Eglinton route viable and cost-effective. One City was also a good plan, but badly executed. As you say Ford sucks in this area, and she at least is trying to salvage something. That's what most voters see, I promise you.

I can't see any intelligent right-winger staying with Ford (but that's just me). They have an obvious choice: Stintz, and if Stintz is smart, she'll tailor her appeal. I don't know how this will play out with Chow supporters, but I will repeat myself --- I think that in this particular constellation, lefty Chow wins because the right gets divided.

All depending on whether Ford can stick around long enough to run in the next election BUT if the conservative powers-that-be see a vote split in the offing, it's not crazy to think that Stintz or Ford would be offered an opportunity to take on a very well-payed chair or board position somewhere.

You know, the realization that I've come to is that Ford would make a wonderful Chief Customer Service Officer for the city. He's not cut out to be mayor but someone in an exec role who could move things through red tape would be right up his alley.

I can't see any intelligent right-winger staying with Ford (but that's just me). They have an obvious choice: Stintz
I think that many in Ford Nation view Stintz as a traitor. That said, I don't know if such folks count as "intelligent".

I must admit, this aspect of his personality has given me new found respect for his abilities as a ward councilor. If I could call up my councilor any time of day and get him to come out and solve a problem for me, I think I'd be pretty pumped about it too.

As a mayor he's a trainwreck.

You know, the realization that I've come to is that Ford would make a wonderful Chief Customer Service Officer for the city. He's not cut out to be mayor but someone in an exec role who could move things through red tape would be right up his alley.

That would be a nightmare. Imagine all the safety and rules violations. Ok, sometimes they are excessive,but some are there for good reason. Ford would just ignore them all and do whatever he wanted.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back