News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 644     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Rob Ford - Why the Supervillian?

Wow, js97. That attitude is basically the downfall of the democratic system. "It doesn't matter what they do. They're all the same." Well, surprise, surprise, they're not. All those Americans who thought Bush and Gore were the same finally learned that lesson.

Coltaine, it's even more than that. Even refugees need to go through quite a lot of procedure to prove that they're legitimate. They get all kinds of hearings to determine whether they're real refugees, and many get sent home.

One thing I'll say for Ford as mayor (the only thing I'll say for Ford as mayor) is that it'll make the Calgarians' heads explode. They have a competent and capable Liberal for mayor and we have a Conservative drunk driver/hockey brawler.

Last edited:
Wow, js97. That attitude is basically the downfall of the democratic system. "It doesn't matter what they do. They're all the same." Well, surprise, surprise, they're not..

I'm not sure how you extrapolated my point that every politician tells lies/halftruths/ommissions at some point to the downfall of democratic system and quoting me 'it doesn't matter what they do'...

I would think that your 'unimaginative' handle would be more reflective of your conclusions...

One thing I'll say for Ford as mayor (the only thing I'll say for Ford as mayor) is that it'll make the Calgarians' heads explode. They have a competent and capable Liberal for mayor and we have a Conservative drunk driver/hockey brawler.

As someone from Calgary.... I dont think it'll make heads explode. Rob Ford reminds me of Ralph Klein.... and dont forget, he was mayor of Calgary for many years in the 80's.

And honestly... I dont think I've ever seen so much mudslinging in an election before, its quickly becoming everyone/thing vs Ford it seems, and its just making him stronger.

Kitsune, you may well be right.

Js, you said that Ford's dissembling doesn't matter because every politician does it. Is that not what you said? I'd say that's a pretty low standard for your politicians.

Incredible - I had no idea.

Perhaps all those threads about Toronto going downhill actually had some merit to them? :(

Well, I think it's fair to say that Toronto has progressed mightily over the last 20 years and almost none of that progress has had to do with the city government. While Ford's obviously much worse than Lastman, the city survived.

To contradict myself, a city can be really badly hurt by bad municipal leadership. Cities like Detroit, Philadelphia, and Newark have been devastated by bad mayors.

Exactly! If he lied, which he does quite often, he can't be trusted. If he really had forgotten about this incident, then I don't think he has the mental capacity or qualifications for the job of mayor.
Oh this gets funnier and funnier.

Ford is now saying that the reason he forgot about the drug charge, is because he was found guilty of the more serious charge of drinking and driving. Though he says that though he was drinking, and that he and his wife consumed 2 Litres of wine ... that he wasn't drunk. That in itself seems another lie, given that the arrest report says that "a strong odor of an alcholoic beverage on his breath. His eyes were bloodshot".

What seems even more bizarre from the arrest report is that he "approached me and took all of his money and threw it on the ground". So Rob Ford tried to bribe a police officer???

Wow, a liar, a drunk, a druggie, drunk driving, attempting to bribe the police ... and this is just a single incident.

My only fear is that he has until September 10, to abandon his bid, and run for council instead. I figured the worst stuff wouldn't start coming out until September. If it comes out now then we may still be stuck with him on council.

Any other politician would be finished at this point.

0989e0f546f1974e28eb96d8f986.jpeg

With this, the flood waters have officially opened on Ford. As an early leading candidate, the media has had time to do in depth research on the guy. A mug shot? HA!

If Ford started climbing in the polls a month or so before the election, he'd be seen as an underdog, about to beat the odds and that would have gotten him bandwagon jumpers. Unfortunately for him, I think he peaked too early for his own good. I'm actually beginning to see the tide turning against him with the previously unanimous Ford support on the Toronto Star message boards waning.

I hope this circus ends quickly though because I want to see the real issues discussed amongst candidates like Pantalone and Thomson.

Last edited:

Ford is now saying that the reason he forgot about the drug charge, is because he was found guilty of the more serious charge of drinking and driving. Though he says that though he was drinking, and that he and his wife consumed 2 Litres of wine ... that he wasn't drunk. That in itself seems another lie, given that the arrest report says that "a strong odor of an alcholoic beverage on his breath. His eyes were bloodshot".

What seems even more bizarre from the arrest report is that he "approached me and took all of his money and threw it on the ground". So Rob Ford tried to bribe a police officer???

Wow, a liar, a drunk, a druggie, drunk driving, attempting to bribe the police ... and this is just a single incident.

My only fear is that he has until September 10, to abandon his bid, and run for council instead. I figured the worst stuff wouldn't start coming out until September. If it comes out now then we may still be stuck with him on council.

Well, if we don't have Ford run back to his riding, we'll have his brother. Would that be any better? Then again, having the both of them, OY VAY!

Ah, I hadn't heard that Doug Ford was running. Looks like he registered on August 9th.

I really don't know much about Doug. Though if he only has half the rap sheet of Rob Ford, I'd be concerned.

Why did Adam Giambrone quit the mayor's race? Is Adam's reason to quit worse than Rob's current predicament?

What perdicament? Isn't this what was said after the "Fat Fuck" video surfaced? The Dieter Doneit-Henderson incident? The G20 support of the police force remarks? The alledged assualt of a football player? The chicken-suit taunts? The Reverend Brereton endorsement? The Rob Ford's blog/Ford on Ford smears? These latest "he's a xenophobe" allegations? That he keeps coming out of these kerfuffles smelling like a rose and rising in popularity - while lesser individuals have to slink away and hide in order to salvage their reputations - should infer to you that the age of blind political correctness has taken a back seat to demanding honesty (on the issues, not necessarily on one's character), accountability and value-added services for our tax money.

But that's the beauty of the Liberal Media meme: his base will just blame the media for bringing it up. They know he's a good, moral man and the Liberal Media are out to get him--police testimony and criminal charges be damned.

And for the even nuttier like Fresh Start, they'll think his list of scandals is actually a reason to support him.

Back