News   Jul 12, 2024
 873     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 781     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 327     0 

Rob Ford wants to terminate the "War on Cars"....

Jeez, touchy.

The Transportation Tomorrow Survey (TTS). It's a pretty cool resource.

Basically, rather than ask people if they bike (lot's of people bike, just not all the time) TTS asks people how they got to work that day. That way it takes into account people who's mode of travel changes day by day.

Jeez, touchy.

The Transportation Tomorrow Survey (TTS). It's a pretty cool resource.

Basically, rather than ask people if they bike (lot's of people bike, just not all the time) TTS asks people how they got to work that day. That way it takes into account people who's mode of travel changes day by day.

I did a search, the most recent TTS data I could find is from 2006, and does not specifically count cyclist, but has "walk or cycle" at 11% for City of Toronto AM. Is that what you were referencing?

Last edited:
To get the cycling information you need to sign up to use their data. For example, for people travelling downtown here's the mode split as of 2001:

car: 23%
bike: 1%
GO transit: 30%
TTC: 42%
Walk: 4%

I'm looking at the summary PDF right now, and I believe what you are calling downtown is "PD1" in this document (?)

If I'm reading it right, it says the 2001 modal share to PD1 was 13% "walk or cycle". Why does this not match up with your 1 + 4% numbers? It also says 30% "walk and cycle" for travel within PD1...

If I keep answering your questions do you promise to acknowledge 16% of people don't cycle to work each day in the City?

But freeway, like transit infrastructure, needs to be reinforced in the core as the rest of the system is expanded more and more into the periphery. The additional usage that is generated by extending further and further out places more pressure on existing infrastructure further down the line. This is exactly why we need the DRL. Why should expressway infrastructure be any different?

I think that the expressway usage pattern is quite different. Expressways are used for commercial shipments, and for personal trips between destinations where no public transit option exists. Peripheral expansions of expressways might be justified as long as they serve those purposes.

At the same time, adding expressway capacity into the core is a waste of funds, because the street grid there cannot accommodate more cars.

I see no point in adding new lanes, even HOV, to DVP. It is cheaper to convert 2 of the existing 6 lanes to HOV, and the funds can be used to build more transit into the core.

If I keep answering your questions do you promise to acknowledge 16% of people don't cycle to work each day in the City?

He never claimed that "16% of people cycle to work each day in the City". He claimed that "a recent Ipsos-Reid study found that 16% of Toronto residents cycle to work or school, at least some times".

There is a HUGE difference between "each day" and "sometimes".

To be fair, and accurate, they should use stats for those who've graduated from school and are employed. That would take out a large chunk of cyclists who do so only due to not having driver's license or the income to support daily transit or driving.

Why on earth would that matter? They're still cycling.

I'm, curious what is the better way to do traffic calming than speed bumps?

Widen the sidewalks to create a smaller street, put in curb waves (or whatever those things are called where the curb jets out further into the street in kind of a U shape), put in roundabouts instead of stop signs. There are other ways of doing it besides just speed bumps.

Rob Ford has lived in Etobicoke for most of his life. A 1950's suburban lifestyle, 3 cars in the driveway, drive to work and shops, barbeque in your 40' x 100' yard on the weekends, is all he knows. Unfortunately, it's also all he wants for the rest of us as well. Mayor Ford = end war on cars, build CAA's dream GTA expressways system, replace streetcars with buses, privatize transit and limit vertical growth to 3 storeys, everywhere. Most of all he is about not spending money. I'll be moving if he wins.

To be fair, and accurate, they should use stats for those who've graduated from school and are employed. That would take out a large chunk of cyclists who do so only due to not having driver's license or the income to support daily transit or driving.

In fact, we should be extra accurate, and not include people who don't commute by helicopter due to not being able to afford a helicopter. That would take out a large chunk of drivers who drive cars only because they don't have a pilot license or income to support owning and operating a helicopter.

Last edited:

Back