News   Jul 12, 2024
 965     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 841     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 342     0 

Rob Ford wants to terminate the "War on Cars"....

When people like Chuck and Rob Ford call for an end to the "War on cars", what they are really calling for is the continuation of the "War on transit, walking and biking."

No, Chuck has made it perfectly clear that he is all for transit and biking investment. What he said was that it is unrealistic/unfair not to improve mobility on all fronts, including the car.

Really, nearly every city that built a large transit system since the end of the Second World war also built a large freeway system at the same time: Calgary is building light rail as it builds a ring road; Vancouver expanded and built major road bridges while it built the Millennium and Canada lines; Chinese cities are building roads and subways at an equally feverish pace; Madrid built nearly as many km of autopista as it did subways in the last 20 years. Even our glory days of subway expansion here in Toronto, circa 1959-1977, coincided with a massive construction of freeways in the area.

What improvements need to be made to improve mobility in a car? I can get everywhere by car and there is no place in Toronto more than 10km from the nearest freeway and all the freeways are connected to each other. Vancouver doesn't even have a freeway to get between the 1 and 99 freeways. Many cities outside North America don't have a freeway in the core and besides one or two "grand avenues" don't have a network of four lane plus turning lane roads. If you look at the development of our transit system as compared to our road system and look at the balance compared to other place with good transit systems like London, Paris, Hong Kong, and Tokyo I think it is obvious that our roadway system is much further developed than our transit system and when there are comparable expressway systems in large cities they are primarily toll routes and usually have only two lanes in each direction. Our transit system needs to catch up while our free use freeways with up to 8 lanes in each direction and four lane arterial routes with turning lanes seem quite adequate.

What improvements need to be made to improve mobility in a car?

I have been coming on this forum now for ages, and I know the predominant view is that cars rule in Toronto, but after having to commute from Markham for a few weeks (not my choice), I can assure there are definitely important ways that mobility in a car can be improved.

I recall a rather big debate a few years ago about expanding or widening expressways. The argument against it was essentially, "If we expand the expressways then more cars will just congest it." It's an odd argument, essentially saying that more lanes magically equals more cars. By that same argument, getting rid of lanes on the DVP will magically disincentivize people from having to commute down the DVP every morning.

The DVP could use one more lane - an HOV lane in the centre. I think that's a reasonable accommodation of the demands on the DVP.

That said, Rob Ford is a dick.

I recall a rather big debate a few years ago about expanding or widening expressways. The argument against it was essentially, "If we expand the expressways then more cars will just congest it." It's an odd argument, essentially saying that more lanes magically equals more cars.
It isn't magic, it's science. ;)

Rob Ford must have shares in oil, the way he acting. He wants the car to be king in the GTA.

Crude oil was over $125 a barrel back in early 2008, then the recession hit (some say that was the cause). Remember the price of fuel at the pump. The price of crude oil fell to under $50 by early 2009 at the height of the recession. Now it is over $80 and going up. See this link for the charts. Of course, to get more people to use oil or gasoline, Rob Ford seems to want to get rid of public transit, bike lanes, and return to the sprawl of the late half of the 20th century.

Sorry Rob, you are so 20th century and out of touch with the rest of the world. We need to reduce demand for oil. To do that we need more public transit, more bike lanes, and higher density.

Transit and density will have an impact on oil consumption in the City, bikes lanes won't change much. 1% of people bike, doubling that will not make much of a dent. 25% take transit, that's where there's room to change how people travel.

Rob Ford is running for mayor??? Hookers and blow for everybody!!!!

But in all seriousness, his platform is a complete joke (except for speedbumps, I agree that they cause more harm than good, and there are other ways to do traffic calming). Let's just be thankful that 905ers can't vote in this election, or else he might actually stand a chance.

Transit and density will have an impact on oil consumption in the City, bikes lanes won't change much. 1% of people bike, doubling that will not make much of a dent. 25% take transit, that's where there's room to change how people travel.

Over a 20 year period Amsterdam converted 15% of automobile trips to bicycle based trips and Copenhagen has a similar story. Given the cost of building 15% additional road capacity, it is worth taking the risk on bicycle lanes, particularly where a car lane is not removed.

I do agree that given funding Toronto could make significant headway in boosting public transit usage.

A recent Ipsos-Reid study found that 16% of Toronto residents cycle to work or school, at least some times. Number one reason given for when they don't? Lack of safe bike infrastructure.

In my opinion that still doesn't justify ZERO addition to DVP capacity, especially if done in a way that encourages DVP commuters to car pool.

If additional capacity is added to the DVP, where specifically are all those extra cars going to go when they get off the DVP (both in terms of local streets and downtown parking spaces)?

Hipster:

We didn't really stop building freeways - like most of the cities you've mentioned, it's occuring in the periphery.

AoD

What improvements need to be made to improve mobility in a car? I can get everywhere by car and there is no place in Toronto more than 10km from the nearest freeway and all the freeways are connected to each other. Vancouver doesn't even have a freeway to get between the 1 and 99 freeways. Many cities outside North America don't have a freeway in the core and besides one or two "grand avenues" don't have a network of four lane plus turning lane roads. If you look at the development of our transit system as compared to our road system and look at the balance compared to other place with good transit systems like London, Paris, Hong Kong, and Tokyo I think it is obvious that our roadway system is much further developed than our transit system and when there are comparable expressway systems in large cities they are primarily toll routes and usually have only two lanes in each direction. Our transit system needs to catch up while our free use freeways with up to 8 lanes in each direction and four lane arterial routes with turning lanes seem quite adequate.

Well, yes, our road system is much more advanced and established than our transit network. However, building roads at the same time might be the kind of Faustian bargain we need in order to get a decent transit network set up. My argument was that very few cities have aggressively built transit lines while completely neglecting roads. To do so invites political squabbling that eventually sinks transit expansion, as we Torontonians are acutely aware.

We might not need to build roads, per se, to improve car-based mobility in the city. For starters, we could build more Green P parking garages and eliminate on-street parking to build a bicycle lane. This would be a win-win for motorists, merchants and bicyclists. The Toronto approach, however, would be to attempt to eliminate on-street parking without making any parking concessions. Of course, this ends in a protracted fight between the city and merchants and we end up absolutely nowhere.

Another mobility improvement would be to dedicate former on-street parking space on side streets for delivery vehicles so that they don't end up blocking the right lane of major roads during rush hour. Again, to do this we would have to drive a hard bargain as transit supporters and make sure that if this is done, a transit improvement of equal effort is performed elsewhere.

I am afraid that this is the only way to make inroads (no pun intended) in transit in this city. We cannot afford a war on cars because, frankly, we are already losing.

Hipster:

We didn't really stop building freeways - like most of the cities you've mentioned, it's occuring in the periphery.

AoD

But freeway, like transit infrastructure, needs to be reinforced in the core as the rest of the system is expanded more and more into the periphery. The additional usage that is generated by extending further and further out places more pressure on existing infrastructure further down the line. This is exactly why we need the DRL. Why should expressway infrastructure be any different?

gweed123:

Reinforced is one thing, there is only so much one can do with the existing capacity of roadways which is at saturation during rush hours. I can't think of any major expressway projects at the core of most cities aimed at increasing capacity of the overall system.

AoD

Back