News   May 10, 2024
 725     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 853     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 932     0 

Roads: Traffic Signals

A couple problems at minor intersections:
There's also the very real challenge of timing the lights for *both directions of streetcar*. This problem came up in the San Diego Trolley studies, the Melbourne experience, and I'm sure others. This mandates a higher order of flow and headway control, something Toronto is unlikely to institute at this rate.

The "King Street Project": Toronto's attempt to join the modern era by trading in box tops and empty bottles.

Replace them with proceed with caution and yield to pedestrian signs. A similar idea has been implemented in the UK, and seems to be a successful traffic calming method.
Not on any of their tram routes.

Get rid of stop and yield signs altogether. Replace them with proceed with caution and yield to pedestrian signs. A similar idea has been implemented in the UK, and seems to be a successful traffic calming method.
lol...As a Brit/Cdn Dual, I can assure you that the concept of 'pedestrian right of way' is almost totally absent in UK law, save for the right to ramble over private fields and land and marked road crossings.

Legally, pedestrians have the right-of-way at controlled intersections and in marked crosswalks; but the law also states that "no pedestrian shall unnecessarily stop or delay traffic while in a marked or unmarked crosswalk."
Rules for pedestrians (1 to 35) - The Highway Code - Guidance - Gov.uk
https://www.gov.uk/guidance/the-highway-code/rules-for-pedestrians-1-to-35

Edit to Add: This is new to the UK Highway Code:

Rule 170
Take extra care at junctions. You should

• watch out for cyclists, motorcyclists, powered wheelchairs/mobility scooters and pedestrians as they are not always easy to see. Be aware that they may not have seen or heard you if you are approaching from behind
  • watch out for pedestrians crossing a road into which you are turning. If they have started to cross they have priority, so give way
  • watch out for long vehicles which may be turning at a junction ahead; they may have to use the whole width of the road to make the turn (see Rule 221)
  • watch out for horse riders who may take a different line on the road from that which you would expect
  • not assume, when waiting at a junction, that a vehicle coming from the right and signalling left will actually turn. Wait and make sure
  • look all around before emerging. Do not cross or join a road until there is a gap large enough for you to do so safely.
the-highway-code-rule-170.jpg

Rule 170: Give way to pedestrians who have started to cross

(Don't forget to invert 'right' and 'left' when interpreting this)

The status quo (stop signs) means that a driver stops (or pretend to stop) at intersections, checks that no other car is at the intersection, and then blasts through the intersection with impunity now that they have right of way.
It means that if they hit a pedestrian legally crossing, then they (driver) are legally liable.

Last edited:
How long does it take the city to from the installed stage to set up stage ? Its been over a month it seems since the lights were installed at Park / Rosedale Valley but not set up. Due to GPS, uber & lyft this intersection needs these lights asap as the traffic jams are probably among the longest in the city during rush hour.

Any update on the adaptive signal projects in Sarborough and on Yonge st?

How long does it take the city to from the installed stage to set up stage ? Its been over a month it seems since the lights were installed at Park / Rosedale Valley but not set up. Due to GPS, uber & lyft this intersection needs these lights asap as the traffic jams are probably among the longest in the city during rush hour.

I don't think the traffic lights will make traffic any better. 20,000 cars per day is still gonna be a lot of traffic for a two-lane road. That's as much as a lot of the city's four-lane roads get.

Any updates on the smart signal pilot on Yonge and Sheppard East?

A roundabout would be perfect for that intersection.

Last edited:
Does anyone know why Toronto is so anti-round-about? Is there an official policy about bringing everyone to a complete stop always where two rights of way intersect?

O'Conner and Woodbine would have been perfect before the recent Elmer-the-Safety-Elephant makeover.

Does anyone know why Toronto is so anti-round-about? Is there an official policy about bringing everyone to a complete stop always where two rights of way intersect?

O'Conner and Woodbine would have been perfect before the recent Elmer-the-Safety-Elephant makeover.
It's a very good question. I brushed up a bit on my understanding of roundabouts in Ontario before my last post just prior, and most of the reference is from Waterloo Region. And yet Toronto has had roundabouts for at least a generation (as distinct from 'traffic circles' which have existed here for well over half a century).

The oldest one I'm aware of is on Windermere in Swansea. Just looking at it now, I see that it isn't a 'classic' one as is now being used in Waterloo, but it does something very clever I never realized before seeing it from above:
https://www.google.ca/maps/place/To...23555502ab4c477!8m2!3d43.653226!4d-79.3831843

It's more like an inverse railway roundhouse than a classic roundabout. Note how it services a 'by-pass' for the original Windermere Ave and also St Olave's Rd and a driveway.

I don't have the references up on my taskbar that I did earlier, but IIRC notable in Waterloo's case is the *increase* in accidents (mostly on initiation of the roundabout) but the *severity* of accidents was vastly reduced. Almost all were scrapes and bumps, no T-bones, no head-ons. Pedestrian safety takes on a new impetus however. Europe has long ago accepted the need for pedestrian underpasses at them. Waterloo's impression is very favourable, but unless addressed in the HTA in the last while, there is no provision in the HTA for roundabouts.

I'll dig deeper on those facets later, and Toronto's official stance. I seem to recollect Toronto leaning toward implementing them. There are very good reasons to doing so.

Edit: Just doing some checking now. One source claims "This is a traffic circle, not a roundabout, as it has stop signs at the junction". Just checked on Google map, that is wrong, they are *yield* signs, technically unnecessary, but a sop to motorists to 'mind their road manners'. In other words, legally redundant but good reminders.

I see also:
https://urbantoronto.ca/forum/threads/roads-roundabouts.8212/

Also:
Roundabouts are one of the best ways to combat traffic congestion, so ...
https://nationalpost.com/.../roundabouts-are-one-of-the-best-ways-to-combat-traffic-con...

Jul 21, 2012 - There are 76% fewer injury collisions at roundabouts than at ... and another in the west end, connecting Windermere Avenue, Coe Hill Drive ...
[PDF]STAFF REPORT INFORMATION ONLY Feasibility ... - City of Toronto
www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2008/pw/bgrd/backgroundfile-11862.pdf

Mar 25, 2008 - Feasibility and Benefits of Roundabouts in Toronto. 1. STAFF REPORT .... typeroundabouts. They are located at Windermere Avenue and Coe.
Later edit: Reading up now, a massive proviso comes to mind from my experience of spending time in the UK, and the eroding ability of UK drivers to use them the way previous generations did:

There's a world of difference between single lane roundabouts and dual lane ones! As an avid distance cyclist, in visits and work sojourns in the UK, I used to have the confidence to zip through roundabouts carefully watching for others' signals, and allowing them to see mine. My last sojourn there a decade or so back...there's no friggin' way I'd cycle through a roundabout...*unless*...it was a single lane one. The *choreograph* necessary to make them work is at least half gone from today's Brits. It's the iGeneration, it's all about them, nothing about everything else, and in that is a massive warning for North Am: They have to be simple, and single lane to work. A majority or close to it of drivers don't signal their turns, and for cyclists, it's a rarity (I actually congratulate the ones that do!) let lone look over their shoulders before lane changing.

The UK also has what are termed "double roundabouts" or "twin roundabouts"...lol...but we won't go there. They take tremendous driver confidence to 'do the dance' and not get their toes crushed doing it. The most important....*crucial* facet is signalling intention. Good luck on that on Toronto roads.

Addendum:
DOUBLE ROUNDABOUT

A single roundabout is often challenge enough for many drivers, especially learners. A double roundabout is of course double the challenge.
Double roundabouts come in both forms, normal roundabouts and mini roundabouts. Although the same rules apply to both types, a very different approach needs to be taken. You will certainly be taking roundabouts during a driving test and if double roundabouts exits within the driving test routes, there’s a good chance you will be taking these too.

This tutorial offers advice for both normal and mini double roundabouts along with the rules.
The key to dealing with any double roundabout is to deal with both roundabouts separately. Below is a diagram of a large double roundabout. which exits off onto dual carriageways.
We’re going to be following the red car which is following the correct driving test procedure for turning right at the double roundabout. As with normal roundabouts, the MSPSL (Mirror, Signal, Position, Speed and Look routine must be applied. See the MSPSL driving routine for further information.
[...]
DOUBLE MINI ROUNDABOUTS AND CYCLISTS
Cyclists can often be unpredictable and can often not use arm signals to indicate their change of direction. Always approach mini and double mini runabouts slowly so you can take effective observation. If cyclists are located at the roundabout, use extreme caution and do not try to push past.
https://www.drivingtesttips.biz/double-roundabout.html

These are tips for double roundabouts for a nation of drivers used to regular roundabouts. In the case of Torontonians, this would apply for even the simplest of roundabouts.

Cyclists and pedestrians: Be scared, be very scared....and for God's sake, look and signal. Or preferably, dismount the bike and walk (or run for your life) across as a pedestrian.

Last edited:

Toronto is anti-roundabout because they are worried, I assume, that people will either not know how to drive around one properly, or hate the idea.

Toronto is anti-roundabout because they are worried, I assume, that people will either not know how to drive around one properly, or hate the idea.
I get the first point, but I don’t understand how anyone would prefer Toronto’s stop sign at every intersection approach over the judicious use of roundabouts. Assuming they’ve ever actually driven in places that have them, which I guess is why yet another good dea in use in many other countries would be inconceivable here. I’m so disappointed by our pig-headed refusal to learn from other cities.

Back