News   Jun 03, 2024
 16     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 711     0 
News   Jun 03, 2024
 533     1 

Roads: Traffic Signals

Yes, that's pretty standard. Makes a bit more sense when you see it happening, and what preceded it (just the red) than looking at a photo.

The Red/Amber combo just before the green light is fairly standard throughout the world. Lights go from red to red/amber to green to amber to red.

When the majority of cars are standard it allows them to get them in gear and ready to motor when it does turn green. It also removes the risk of the slowpoke at the front of the line that is daydreaming and takes the entire cycle for him to get through an advanced left turn (and you are stuck waiting for the next turn signal).

When the majority of cars are standard it allows them to get them in gear and ready to motor when it does turn green.
Which it isn't in North America, where most cars that are sold are automatics. Plus most of the world is going away from Standard transmissions too. Most of the supercars now are automatic with flappy paddle shifting.

Which it isn't in North America, where most cars that are sold are automatics. Plus most of the world is going away from Standard transmissions too. Most of the supercars now are automatic with flappy paddle shifting.

More and more cars are going the hybrid or electrical propulsion way.

Though all those extensions cords could get in the way. lol ;)
Tesla-UMC-Camco-50amp-Cord-Length.jpg

To save on emissions some cars now shut off when parked at a light for a certain length of time. Tapping on the gas turns them on but there is a lag before it accelerates (needs time to turn on). This system would help with this delay (as soon as you see amber you tap the gas to turn back on the car and then press the gas to go as soon as it turns green)

Pedestrian crosswalks have additional lighting overhead.
lakey.jpg

Yet, at traffic signal intersections, there is no additional lighting other than the normal street lightning.
1.jpg

Maybe using LED lights that light up the path at night when pedestrians have the green.
pedestrian-crossing-safety-system-main-image.jpg

Making the intersection crossing brighter would benefit the pedestrian, so there is no funds to improve such safety.

1.jpg

Continued from King Pilot thread

I don't know the timings, but here is how it works.

Except for major intersections:
Lights are timed to match the movements of the streetcar such that the cross traffic lights are green and the streetcar lights are red when the streetcar approaches the stop. When the streetcar comes to the stop, the lights begin their change from green/walk, to red/don't walk. At this point, the streetcar should be loaded and ready to go. They can now move due to it being green for them.

Major intersections would need better timing to take in consideration the traffic patterns and the streetcar passenger load.

A couple problems at minor intersections:
- You can't ensure the light is already red and resting in north-south green/walk when the streetcar approaches. Sometimes it will already be green for the streetcar.
- If the light is red when the streetcar approaches it may not be possible for the streetcar to reach the stop due to other cars in the way

At major intersections:
- How exactly do you propose to 'take into consideration' the traffic patterns and streetcar passenger load? Real-time sensors or a back-of-the-envelope calculation?

Pedestrian crosswalks have additional lighting overhead.
lakey.jpg

Yet, at traffic signal intersections, there is no additional lighting other than the normal street lightning.
1.jpg

Maybe using LED lights that light up the path at night when pedestrians have the green.
pedestrian-crossing-safety-system-main-image.jpg

Making the intersection crossing brighter would benefit the pedestrian, so there is no funds to improve such safety.

1.jpg
You could try the Salt Lake City solution.
57fd4529ead9f.image.jpg

I have noticed the new approved signage for pedestrian crossovers ('crosswalks') has flashing LEDs and the curb sign but no warning lights on the overheads. I don't like it and think it is potentially dangerous. Sorry, I couldn't find an actual photo . . .

On another note, perhaps a quick fun test: what does a motorist do when facing (a) a dead traffic signal (i.e, the power's out) and (b), they are flashing red and amber for opposing directions (i.e the signal's logic has failed)?

On another note, perhaps a quick fun test: what does a motorist do when facing (a) a dead traffic signal (i.e, the power's out) and (b), they are flashing red and amber for opposing directions (i.e the signal's logic has failed)?

Hit the gas and pray ;)

I wish they would raise crossovers to sidewalk level, for an extended space out from it, so there would essentially be speed bumps to slow traffic right down. You could probably get rid of the flashing lights and buttons (so long as the crossing is well lit).

Wouldn't work where there are streetcars, but I think it should be standard everywhere else, at least whenever a street is repaved/reconstructed.

Back