News   Jul 26, 2024
 648     0 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.6K     1 
News   Jul 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Roads: Traffic catch all

Don't want to sidetrack this thread, if you want to discuss further, we have discussed in the Disruption of Transport thread. I'll just remind folks that cars used to require a flag man.

Yonge Street definitely needs to be pedestrianized. There's zero reason for anyone to need to drive it.
I was in Montreal again for business purposes, and after a meeting I was standing outside on De Maisonneuve. The ROW for that street appears very comparable to Yonge. And DM is a one way street, with a very good physically seperated, concrete curbed two way bike lane and enhanced pedestrian width. Could we not consider that for Yonge, with another parallel street (Bay for instance) running the opposite direction using the same format. The model could, be used for Richmond and Adelaide, which are already one way streets. And then Wellington and King. Add in the changes to University that are happening, and I think you have improved cycling transit, pedestrian walking, and smoothed traffic flows (although this is the greatest challenge, as you need transit signals for priority, pedestrian crossing priorities, elimination of right turns on red, and congestion charging). Something has to give to break this logjam of single occupant vehicles.

Reactions: PL1
I was in Montreal again for business purposes, and after a meeting I was standing outside on De Maisonneuve. The ROW for that street appears very comparable to Yonge. And DM is a one way street, with a very good physically seperated, concrete curbed two way bike lane and enhanced pedestrian width. Could we not consider that for Yonge, with another parallel street (Bay for instance) running the opposite direction using the same format. The model could, be used for Richmond and Adelaide, which are already one way streets. And then Wellington and King. Add in the changes to University that are happening, and I think you have improved cycling transit, pedestrian walking, and smoothed traffic flows (although this is the greatest challenge, as you need transit signals for priority, pedestrian crossing priorities, elimination of right turns on red, and congestion charging). Something has to give to break this logjam of single occupant vehicles.
Every single east west route is affected by closures or construction, university is down to one lane. Can we re visit this when a 1km drive isn’t a 45 min trip?

Every single east west route is affected by closures or construction, university is down to one lane. Can we re visit this when a 1km drive isn’t a 45 min trip?
Getting around in certain areas of Montreal at certain times can be challenging and my friend the Bixie is the way to go. I get what you are saying but major infrastructure is not easy.

I know one way streets are generally thought of as being auto-oriented, I don't think this is necessarily the case. If it makes it possible to reduce the number of vehicle lanes that seems quite worthwhile. I know a consideration is provision for bus service at night. Perhaps there could be a contraflow transit lane that is otherwise empty and can be used by pedestrians and cyclists during the day.

I know one way streets are generally thought of as being auto-oriented, I don't think this is necessarily the case. If it makes it possible to reduce the number of vehicle lanes that seems quite worthwhile. I know a consideration is provision for bus service at night. Perhaps there could be a contraflow transit lane that is otherwise empty and can be used by pedestrians and cyclists during the day.
I'm not even sure which way on Yonge is contraflow - it probably changes between Front and Bloor.

The advantage Yonge has, is there several parallel alternate routes. University, Bay, Church, Jarvis, etc. And quite frankly, some are faster (though Church is poor getting to the Gardiner ... at least until they complete the connection to Lakeshore). I'd just pedestrianize Yonge from Richmond to Bloor, with bike lanes.

I’d say Yonge is more comparable to Ste-Catherine, which is largely pedestrianized.
And with due respect, Ste Catherine’s is a waste. More of a haven for drugs and alcohol abuse than anything. It would be helpful if they ran transit along it, kept cars off of it, and returned it to a purpose of moving people, while expanding the pedestrian zone, especially around Quartier des Spectacles. Further east the idea disintegrates in a hurry.

Ste-Catherine's is Montreal's predominant urban shopping street. In Toronto, Yonge is arguably third, at least south of Bloor, with Bloor and Queen likely being more prominent. Still, I do see it as a means of bringing some faded glory back, even if it isn't full pedestrianization (which is basically what we are getting). A lot too depends on CF and what they eventually do with the facade of the TEC between Eataly and Queen.

And with due respect, Ste Catherine’s is a waste. More of a haven for drugs and alcohol abuse than anything. It would be helpful if they ran transit along it, kept cars off of it, and returned it to a purpose of moving people, while expanding the pedestrian zone, especially around Quartier des Spectacles. Further east the idea disintegrates in a hurry.
Well yeah it's Montreal, the whole place is a haven for drugs and alcohol abuse. I mean this (partly) as a compliment btw

Back