News   Jul 10, 2024
 172     0 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 980     1 
News   Jul 09, 2024
 1.9K     4 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Never, theoretically. the current build north of Bovaird is the final setup, from my understanding. The urban expansion area essentially ends at Mayfield anyway, so there is little need to widen it beyond its current capacity regardless.

OK, got it. Is there any rough timeline on making the highway 5 lanes in each direction from queen to bovaird, then? thanks!

Never, theoretically. the current build north of Bovaird is the final setup, from my understanding. The urban expansion area essentially ends at Mayfield anyway, so there is little need to widen it beyond its current capacity regardless.

Depressingly enough, Caledon is allowing more subdivisions north of Mayfield at the moment. First there was Valleywood (built on flat fields) off of Highway 10. Then there was SouthFields* on Kennedy ("we built the perfect village", yeah if driving everywhere is your thing), and now there's Lotus Pointe off Highway 10 again. Sheeeeeeesh, when's the madness of building on farmland going to end? It seems the Greenbelt may be tied a little too loosely. The end result is that traffic on the north end of 410 will continue to grow.

* Originally named Strawberry Fields

There is the stuff in Caledon directly north of mayfield, If that's what you are talking about. No idea on the development names. The point is that the urban area isn't going to be stretching many km past Mayfield for a wide section, at least according to caledons OP. What is currently built should be able to handle the traffic of the planned sprawl, provided more isn't added.

Most of Brampton's growth is coming from the west side now, thus the push for the mystical highway 408 / west GTA transport corridor.

I love how cities allow the countryside to be destroyed for housing and then they name the subdivision after the green area they destroyed.

Yes. Plus crazy-ass names like Lotus Pointe which never sported a lotus and to which there is no point (of any kind). Ridiculous.

The extension to Zenway was always temporary and, I believe, was actually paid for by the Zen group of companies as it unlocked the development lands they were sitting on right there.
The 427 extension was tendered by the Region and in the purchasing report published by the Region there is no mention of outside funding sources relating to the project. In other words, the Region payed for it. Although to be fair, at the time, I doubt the Region knew they would be tearing it up so soon.
Final build for now, but like anything, overpasses can be widened. If the need for a widening ever comes, I'm sure the highway will be widened. I believe development can occur right up to Old School Road (green belt), which is 3 KMs north of Mayfield, roughly the same amount of land as between Mayfield and Sandalwood, if we're using Bramalea Road as our meridian that is.

Depressingly enough, Caledon is allowing more subdivisions north of Mayfield at the moment. First there was Valleywood (built on flat fields) off of Highway 10. Then there was SouthFields* on Kennedy ("we built the perfect village", yeah if driving everywhere is your thing), and now there's Lotus Pointe off Highway 10 again. Sheeeeeeesh, when's the madness of building on farmland going to end? It seems the Greenbelt may be tied a little too loosely. The end result is that traffic on the north end of 410 will continue to grow.

Where Caledon is building subdivisions is within the "white belt" - areas between existing development and the greenbelt boundaries planned a decade ago. So while they are short sighted, they are permitted. I think what bothers me the most is that Caledon refuses to implement a transit system, or even contract to Brampton Transit to serve Valleywood and the new "SouthFields" development. They are also quite distant from the nearest GO Station. Brampton Transit does serve a warehouse north of the border on Airport Road, but only because the company demanded it to get their low-paid employees there.

There is the stuff in Caledon directly north of mayfield, If that's what you are talking about. No idea on the development names. The point is that the urban area isn't going to be stretching many km past Mayfield for a wide section, at least according to caledons OP. What is currently built should be able to handle the traffic of the planned sprawl, provided more isn't added.

Most of Brampton's growth is coming from the west side now, thus the push for the mystical highway 408 / west GTA transport corridor.

Hey again! :) is there a map of this possible highway 408 (fantasy or real)? :)

Hey again! :) is there a map of this possible highway 408 (fantasy or real)? :)

I thought 408 would have been the mid-peninsula highway.

map-new-m.jpg

413 would be the GTA West highway.

gi626_2072.jpg

When first planned, thought was it would go all the way to Guelph.

Attachments

• map-new-m.jpg
    map-new-m.jpg
    25.1 KB · Views: 2,086
  • gi626_2072.jpg
    gi626_2072.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 3,337
Where Caledon is building subdivisions is within the "white belt" - areas between existing development and the greenbelt boundaries planned a decade ago. So while they are short sighted, they are permitted. I think what bothers me the most is that Caledon refuses to implement a transit system, or even contract to Brampton Transit to serve Valleywood and the new "SouthFields" development. They are also quite distant from the nearest GO Station. Brampton Transit does serve a warehouse north of the border on Airport Road, but only because the company demanded it to get their low-paid employees there.

Same issue with Georgetown.

Milton Transit, while it exists, is way too small scale given how big Milton is now. With 100,000 people you'd think Milton could easily have two or three express buses routes feeding into the GO station from different areas plus a network of local routes feeding into the express routes.

Last edited:
Not really, seperate urban areas of 100k with no university / college almost always struggle for any significant form of a transit network. They are simply too small.

That said there is no excuse for Caledon not paying for Brampton transit to come into their urban area north of Mayfield.

Mid Penn has been eliminated from options for the 30 year horizon, and GTA west has further shrunk to no longer go around Milton. Instead we will get HOV lanes on the QEW and a collector's xpress system through Milton.

Last edited:
Same issue with Georgetown.

Malton Transit, while it exists, is way too small scale given how big Malton is now. With 100,000 people you'd think Malton could easily have two or three express buses routes feeding into the GO station from different areas plus a network of local routes feeding into the express routes.

Surely you mean Milton?

Not really, seperate urban areas of 100k with no university / college almost always struggle for any significant form of a transit network. They are simply too small.

That said there is no excuse for Caledon not paying for Brampton transit to come into their urban area north of Mayfield.

Mid Penn has been eliminated from options for the 30 year horizon, and GTA west has further shrunk to no longer go around Milton. Instead we will get HOV lanes on the QEW and a collector's xpress system through Milton.

I think it goes beyond them not wanting to pay....I don't think they want BT in town even if it were at no cost (this is the reason that was given to me when I had a daughter at Mayfield SS and inquired why BTs route #15 did not extend to the school).

the 427 north of highway 7 is owned by York Region, not MTO. might be why. they are probably doing preliminary work to bring the highway to the proper width for the extension.

Is it prep work for the actual highway or maintenance/repair of the current roadway. It is my understanding that a: 427 extension will not begin until 2017 and b: that the York 99 road north of 7 was simply a temporary road built to much lower engineering standards due to it's temporary nature.

Based on b: I would not be surprised if it is for rehab/repair of the road as it has been closed many times previously due to different issues (pooling water freezing on the roadway, etc)

Back