News   Jun 21, 2024
 3.8K     6 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.5K     2 
News   Jun 21, 2024
 1.6K     1 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

It'd be great if 407 and the EZ-Pass systems could get together and offer compatability - it would be a bonus to fustrated 407 users and make it simpler for NYS motorists and other Americans to use and pay tolls for the road.

EZ-Pass has high-speed 'gates' - I just sped doing 65MPH (posted speed limit) on the New Hampshire portion of I-95 through the separated EZ-Pass toll 'gates', so they should be similar enough now.

Would indeed be nice, if all the electronic tolls were compatible. The US EZ Pass system isn't compatible with 407, and neither is compatible with what's being used in Quebec on the new Autoroute 25 bridge.

Is the 401 itself going to be widened during any of this? It's horribly over capacity between Ajax and Oshawa with just 3 lanes per direction. I know part of the point of the 407 is to take pressure off the 401 but either way it's in need of a widening through here.

Is the 401 itself going to be widened during any of this? It's horribly over capacity between Ajax and Oshawa with just 3 lanes per direction. I know part of the point of the 407 is to take pressure off the 401 but either way it's in need of a widening through here.

There's a class EA and design study underway for the 401 widening. The Town of Whitby has a brief page on this: http://www.whitby.ca/en/townhall/highway401widening.asp .

There's no timing on funding on it yet, though. It's just a study. Readers will long memories will remember that the 407 East EA process that led to yesterday's construction announcement was the SECOND EA process for a 407 East extension; the first was conducted in the 90s and went nowhere. So take the 401 widening EA as nothing more than a study at this point.

Well atleast it's something...although that only mentions it being widened to Brock road. I personally think it should be widened to Stevenson road in Oshawa. Ultimately I'd like to see 5 lanes per direction to Stevenson dropping down to 4 till the 35/115. Might seem like overkill but 401 has remained unchanged in this area for as long as I can remember as traffic numbers have boomed. Basically just catching up.

If you widen it, it will become "over capacity" very quickly. What it needs isn't widening, but congestion charges so that buses and drivers who really need to use it can move quickly on it.

Congestion charges penalize the poor who will have a harder time paying them. Are we saying only a certain class of people should be encouraged to drive?

If you widen it, it will become "over capacity" very quickly. What it needs isn't widening, but congestion charges so that buses and drivers who really need to use it can move quickly on it.

I don't know how well you know this stretch of highway but what you're suggesting would not work in this case. You're talking about a highway that goes from 12-16 lanes down to 6 in a pretty short distance when traffic levels don't warrant it. No amount of charges or even transit would fix the problem. It's simply well over capacity.

i also think they should have renamed the WEST link of highway 407 still as highway 403. our highway numbering system is so screwed up

Keep in mind the 401 isn't just a commuter highway, it serves recreational and long distance traffic throughout the Great Lakes region. The JIT (Just in time) bond between Ontario and Michigan can be severely affected if car parts needed in Oshawa are on trucks that are stuck in traffic congestion. Traffic congestion isn't good for the economy or quality of life.

The way I see it, the 401 needs 10+ lanes between Highway 8 and the Durham Connectors, with 8 to the 35/115. The innermost lanes can be HOV, even in collector-express systems. It's the busiest highway on the planet, don't forget that. Let's keep it moving.

Now if you're talking about highways that feed to bedroom communities that primarily serve commuters, that's a different story. Maybe try HOT lanes? They seem to be working in the USA.

I agree with the connector being toll-free. I worry about its affect on Lakeridge if it's a toll road - Lakeridge is a very effective N/S corridor most of the time - not that busy, 80 km/h limit, no driveways/development to cause cars to slow down, and widely spaced traffic lights. I think there's a real risk that many will use Lakeridge as a free alternative to the connector - particularly given that Lakeridge will have a 407 interchange and looks like it will have a partial 401 interchange.

I can just see people saving a dollar or two overwhelming the capacity of Lakeridge during peak periods. (Yes, you could argue that the Hwy 7/407 situation in York is similar, but no one will argue that Hwy 7 is a fast drive, ever - while Lakeridge actually is).

EDIT: Oh, and as for the connector highway numbers: given the decision to make them toll highways, my bet is that they will be 407A and 407B so that the "407etr" branding stays consistent across that entire toll system.

I agree with this as well. I also think that the DWL should be Highway 412, seeing as how Highway 12 is only a couple KMs away.

i also think they should have renamed the WEST link of highway 407 still as highway 403. our highway numbering system is so screwed up

I'd like to see the 407 stretch in the west end (from the 407-403 to the 407-QEW-403) bought back from the private firm and made a free highway. In exchange, the Province would build a new toll highway extension of the 407 to Guelph (where it could potentially even run to K-W, but I would do that as a similar deal to the 407 East). Or even have that new 403 stretch have the same deal as the 407 East too, where it's government owned and toll revenues go to the Province.

Last edited:

I hate how our highway numbering system has become so arbitrary nowadays. Why isn't Hwy 7 between Carleton Place and 417 a 400-series highway yet? I bet the WDL won't even be called 412, but probably just "To 407." I wonder if 405, 409, and 420 would still be called the same if they were built today.

The West Durham Link (Highway 412?) really should meet Highway 12 north of Brooklin, and be a free highway. Highway 12 is already a busy corridor towards places like Port Perry and Beaverton - it'd be the 410 of the east. I'm generally anti-sprawl and pro-transit, pro-rail and cycling, I see this more of an intercity highway than a sprawl-enabler.

If you were to bring the west durham link further north, it would follow lakeridge more than highway 12 though. You would probably see it connecting to uxbridge and beaverton, rather than swerving over to port perry.

Back