News   Jun 27, 2024
 393     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 438     0 
News   Jun 27, 2024
 454     0 

Roads: Ontario/GTA Highways Discussion

Britain, of course, designates Motorway-standard roads not in of themselves Motorway with the (M) marker such as A1(M), but that's unique. We'd have 7(M) - near Ottawa, 8 (M) - Kitchener, multiple 11(M), and one or two 17(M).

They also call artics "bendy buses". How can you say they're a model for anything?

If you listen to the rhethic from City Planners, the rail corridor is meant to spur development along the imaged central corridor (Mall to Mall). It's development and planning, not an integration transportation plan to break the tri-city subburb preference.

Mapleson, please get informed.

Its regional planners, not city planners, and its more than just rhetoric.

All municipalities need to prepare for the expected population increase that comes with places to grow. York Region is doing VIVA, Brampton/Missisauga are proposing the Hurontario line. Rapid Transit is what regional planners came up with to concentrate new development in the core where it can be accommodated by higher-order transit. Instead of allowing dispersed, low-rise development to overburden the regional road system and force the widening of roads in established neighbourhoods.

And it is an integrated transportation plan. There are a number of cross corridor express bus routes being planned to run in conjunction with the rapid transit line as seen here.

Can we move this to the Waterloo LRT thread?

I'm not sure if its been discussed here, but why in hell's name does the 427 north go from three lanes to two lanes commencing north of the Rexdale exit and then goes back to three lanes again. This is what causes
the constant traffic during rush hour heading north during the week. I really can't believe no one has been pressing on this issue. It's absurd.

I'm pretty sure there is ample space to implement the short third lane to connect the others to. It's not impossible at all. I remember driving from school back in 2002 and always wondering what the reasoning behind the traffic in that small area was. Almost 10 years later, the same B.S.

How long has it been and the 401-403-410 interchange is still not complete. Going northbound on the 403 you cannot go westbound on the 401. Going eastbound on the 401 you cannot go southbound on the 403.

I thought that I had brought up the 401-403-410 debacle and someone mentioned that it was in the "plans". Now what in the plans means and when it will be complete is beyond me.

W.R.T the 427 north of Rexdale, there is more than enough room in the median of the highway, however I think expanding that area from 2 to 3 lanes would require some significant restructuring of the ramp from the 409 West and the Rexdale interchange. Basically the ramp from the 409 West becomes the rightmost lane for the off ramp to Rexdale. So you'd need a way to get that ramp from the 409 to merge into the 427 north and squeeze the off ramp for Rexdale after that. I do agree that it is one of the major bottlenecks on the 427 and does need work though.

I thought that I had brought up the 401-403-410 debacle and someone mentioned that it was in the "plans". Now what in the plans means and when it will be complete is beyond me.

W.R.T the 427 north of Rexdale, there is more than enough room in the median of the highway, however I think expanding that area from 2 to 3 lanes would require some significant restructuring of the ramp from the 409 West and the Rexdale interchange. Basically the ramp from the 409 West becomes the rightmost lane for the off ramp to Rexdale. So you'd need a way to get that ramp from the 409 to merge into the 427 north and squeeze the off ramp for Rexdale after that. I do agree that it is one of the major bottlenecks on the 427 and does need work though.

What baffles me though is that there's only a small portion of that section that consists of two lanes. Why they decided from going from three lanes to two lanes and then back again to three lanes is ridiculous. Does any other highway do that?

What baffles me though is that there's only a small portion of that section that consists of two lanes. Why they decided from going from three lanes to two lanes and then back again to three lanes is ridiculous. Does any other highway do that?
It doesn't go back to three lanes again heading northbound at any intersection. Yes a third lane appears a couple times north of Rexdale, but it always peels off at an intersection, and there aren't 3 full lanes through any intersection except Highway 7, where one is blocked off so it can't be used (that was built much more recently). The structures over Albion, Steeles, and the 407 only carry 2 lanes and would require widening.

There are many other examples like this ... 401 for example heading west drops from 7 lanes at 409, to 4 lanes through Martin Grove and Highway 27 before coming 9 lanes west of 427. Gardiner drops from 3 lanes at Spadina, to 2 lanes through Yonge, before coming 3 lanes at Jarvis (and in this case the infrastructure is there, they have simply blocked off one lane to improve traffic flow).

Look at the bright side; they have gotten rid of the traffic light on the 427 at Morning Star Drive - that was the biggest bottleneck when I drove this frequently.

Last edited:
427 and Morning Star drive? I don't remember that and I don't think I'm incredibly young:confused:

Why does the traffic occur heading north bound on the 427 at Rexdale drive commencing around 3:30pm if there are two lanes else where heading further north? That's the only single spot of traffic heading north, so clearly there is something wrong.

427 and Morning Star drive? I don't remember that and I don't think I'm incredibly young:confused:
I think it was Morning Star ... wasn't that long ago ... I used to use427 it regularly in 1994 and there was no sign of construction back then. It can't have been more than 15 years ago. 407 construction was well underway back then ... so I'd think that it would be about the same time, or newer than 407 ... so relatively recently I'd think.

Why does the traffic occur heading north bound on the 427 at Rexdale drive commencing around 3:30pm if there are two lanes else where heading further north? That's the only single spot of traffic heading north, so clearly there is something wrong.
Was designed before 407 was constructed, when 427 was just an artery with traffic lights; and when demand was a lot lower. Needs widening. I'm aware of the 427 QEW to 401 studies, and the 407 to further north studies, but I'm not aware of the plans for this section.

Back