News   Jul 15, 2024
 132     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

By the way when going to work this morning I noticed some construction equipment where I've indicated the red star.

I don't suppose it's possible they're building the 401 east to 403 south ramp without it being documented anywhere? I know, wishful thinking. So what was that construction tractor thing doing there? Related to the express/collector expansion in some way I imagine, but why they'd be there in particular I have no idea. The only proof I have is my own eyes. Did not take a picture while driving sorry. Nor a video. Too lazy :p

The star might be a bit off, but it was definitely after the ramp splits off to the 410 north.

Attachments

• 401.jpg
    401.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 272
I just think the 401-403-410 should be finished first. It would make it much easier for me to drive to my friends who live off of Cawthra.

You know that this isn't really a valid argument when debating transportation policy, right?

I'm not saying finishing the 401-403-410 interchange shouldn't be done. I just think all transportation plans should all be shelved so a subway to Cabbagetown can be finished first. It will make it much easier for me to visit my friends AND for me to get to work, so it offers double the benefits of your project.

You know that this isn't really a valid argument when debating transportation policy, right?

I'm not saying finishing the 401-403-410 interchange shouldn't be done. I just think all transportation plans should all be shelved so a subway to Cabbagetown can be finished first. It will make it much easier for me to visit my friends AND for me to get to work, so it offers double the benefits of your project.

I like the logic of your argument

They are supposed to build an off ramp for the eastbound lane to go south on 410. At the same time a new off ramp from 410 to 401 going west is to be built.

It has been on the books since 2002, when I first talked to MTO about the 401 expansion west of 410.

They are supposed to build an off ramp for the eastbound lane to go south on 410. At the same time a new off ramp from 410 to 401 going west is to be built.

It has been on the books since 2002, when I first talked to MTO about the 401 expansion west of 410.

Makes sense because they can be accessed via the new collector lanes currently under construction.

Do you have a link handy where we might find this document/design? I'm interested to see how it's going to be done.

I suppose they could be building part of the ramp now. The map I've seen shows part of the ramp.

It is on the books - but it wasn't included in the publicly-released construction drawings for the current widening from 403/410 to Mavis. Unless it's been added as an extra to the contract, it would be a later item (though why they wouldn't do it right now is beyond me ...

There was a large pile of dirt on that green spot next to the star you added to the map. The last time I drove by, they were getting rid of the pile. I wondered the same thing.

401-403.jpg

Maybe they're building the tiny part of the ramp that's in grey up to the line that's labelled "limit of construction". but why'd they build a portion of a ramp like that i don't know

Attachments

• 401-403.jpg
    401-403.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 410
Ah - that might be it. Sometimes they build such things, so that future construction can be done without interfering with traffic. Remember the very short stub of 401 express lanes they built around Morningside in the 1970s that sat unused for years until they started that extension of the 401 express lanes in the early 1990s?

Ah - that might be it. Sometimes they build such things, so that future construction can be done without interfering with traffic. Remember the very short stub of 401 express lanes they built around Morningside in the 1970s that sat unused for years until they started that extension of the 401 express lanes in the early 1990s?

No I can't say I remember something from the 70s haha. I barely remember the 80s. Okay that's not true, I remember my sister being born in '89, and I remember the countdown to 1990.

But I hope you're right. I suppose it's possible they'd build part a ramp. But if you're going to build part a ramp, why not just build the whole thing?

Haven't seen anything actually happen at the 401 east to 410 north ramp recently. There's a pile there of rubble, looks kinda like a mix between concrete and asphalt and dirt. Just another useless update lol

May 23
The new bridge and road should be open by the fall of this year to allow the traffic to be shifted, so the old bridge is removed. They are in the process of waterproofing the bridge deck and will be pave right after it. We can see the new collector lanes being built. Only could shot the west section as you have to put your life in harm way to shot the east side.

Here are only of some of the photos I shot and the rest are on the video as well my site. This is the first time I had this year where I could shoot on a weekend without rain falling and I was hoping for better light doing it, but to be had.
5754661470_105ae9da62_b.jpg

5754089439_b105bfff40_b.jpg

5754088301_23f11a43d6_b.jpg

5754639678_f215e6c5bd_b.jpg

[video=youtube;fpnJmE54rlY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fpnJmE54rlY[/video]

Back