News   Jul 15, 2024
 367     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 503     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

I got a look at it this weekend, and I was surprised to see that they are using concrete!

That for the base with pavement on top

On Saturday, June 25 at 11 p.m. until Sunday, June 26 at 9 a.m. eastbound and westbound lanes on Highway 401 from Hurontario Street to Mavis Road will be closed for the removal of the old Hurontario Street bridge.

"As part of the work to widen Highway 401, a full closure of the eastbound and westbound lanes is necessary and detour routes during the critical hours will be in effect," said Zeljko Subic, capital project manager, Engineering & Works Division.

During this closure, Highway 401 traffic will be detoured as follows:

• Highway 401 eastbound traffic will be detoured onto Mavis Road south to Britannia Road, east to Hurontario Street, and north to Highway 401 East.

• Highway 401 westbound traffic will be detoured onto Hurontario Street north to Courtneypark Drive, west to Mavis Road, and south to Highway 401 West.

• Hurontario Street will have one northbound lane open and two southbound lanes open.

• Ramp from Highway 410 southbound to Highway 401 westbound will be closed. Traffic will be detoured off Highway 410 southbound at Derry Road, west to Mavis Road, and south to Highway 401 west.

Information signs will be posted on the highway in advance of, and during the closure to provide motorists with alternative routes.

Both the eastbound and westbound exit lanes are now using the new stretch of highway. I was surprised to see the westbound exit using the new transfer tunnel this week. It's going to look quite different with that old bridge out of the way.

I thought that might be the reason for the 401 closure that night. Good to hear.

Here's a video from lastnight's demolition:

A picture just before they started too:

s64u46.jpg

Was in Dutton this weekend and heard things didn't go as plan.

Driving over the bridge at 10pm Sunday night, could see parts of the existing north side of the bridge still in place.

Was in Dutton this weekend and heard things didn't go as plan.

Driving over the bridge at 10pm Sunday night, could see parts of the existing north side of the bridge still in place.

Driving east it was hard to see, but it looks like they only demolished the part of the bridge directly over the highway. I figured it was because one night wasn't enough to demolish the entire structure, so they just did the part that required the full closure of the highway.

Driving east it was hard to see, but it looks like they only demolished the part of the bridge directly over the highway. I figured it was because one night wasn't enough to demolish the entire structure, so they just did the part that required the full closure of the highway.

Based on the news reports I caught, the plan was to have everything opened by 9am Sunday, however, they didn't get the highway open until the afternoon. I'm sure drivers out in that area were not too pleased

I have yet to see a bridge come down in the short time frame that was plan for this bridge and not surprised with the delay.

I don't known what traffic was like on Hurontario and MT 19's buses, but expect long delays for the 19's.

Good thing I was out of town this weekend. The only thing I care about the 401 traffic, was coming home on Sunday, eastbound.

I think taking down an entire bridge span over one night is pretty darn impressive. I would be surprised if the intention was ever to demo the entire structure, including the sides. They will need to close a few lanes whenever they decide to take those sides down, though.

I think taking down an entire bridge span over one night is pretty darn impressive. I would be surprised if the intention was ever to demo the entire structure, including the sides. They will need to close a few lanes whenever they decide to take those sides down, though.

When I was driving home from downtown last night (around midnight) they had closed off the two right lanes of the 401. It was a traffic nightmare after midnight on the 401 west. I got off at Hurontario (so I used that new underpass thing) so I didn't get a good look what they were doing, so I imagine that is what they were doing.

Once they fully remove the old bridge, they'll start prepping for the new one.
It all depends on how long it takes to clean up all of that concrete.

Back