News   Jul 15, 2024
 341     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 482     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 2K     1 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

When I was driving home from downtown last night (around midnight) they had closed off the two right lanes of the 401. It was a traffic nightmare after midnight on the 401 west. I got off at Hurontario (so I used that new underpass thing) so I didn't get a good look what they were doing, so I imagine that is what they were doing.

You were correct - they took down 1/2 of the north side. So that means at least 3 more nights of similar closures to come...

July 16
The ends were still up on Wed when I went by, but gone today. One loney guy on site jack hammering away.
5944451718_527b7e6792_b.jpg

5943896047_f06da62a10_b.jpg

5944446054_211c61db55_b.jpg

5944445248_048889b36e_b.jpg

5943889575_48a2913b5c_b.jpg

Saw a fair number in the 80's and 90's with 2 at 100 in the short time watching it, Mostly in the high 70's
5943887021_7667bfdf9f_b.jpg

Don't know where to put this, so I'll put it here since it's very close by.

I saw in the Mississauga News a notice about an EA I believe for a 410 widening from south of the 401 to ... somewhere, can't remember where. I think they said add a lane down the middle for an HOV lane.

Anyone have more info? I really should have taken a picture of that notice.

I saw that too. It was hard to see if the EA included the full 403/410/401 interchange, but I would be surprised if it didn't.

What I found strange was that it referred to the 410 south of the 401. As far as I know the 403 ends at 401 and 410 continues and vice versa. Although I guess the distinction where 403 ends and 410 begins isn't wholly important.

That said it looks like they're doing stuff on the 401 eastbound to 410 northbound (future 403 southbound) ramp. Whether it has to do with building the 403 southbound component or just 401 collector lanes though it's difficult to say.

The MTO study, design and staging drawings are available in the MTO online library:

http://goo.gl/2jH9V

I think it's going to be very soon they'll start switching express traffic to the newly constructed collectors so they can start work the new express lanes.

The MTO study, design and staging drawings are available in the MTO online library:

http://goo.gl/2jH9V

I think it's going to be very soon they'll start switching express traffic to the newly constructed collectors so they can start work the new express lanes.

I think they need to pave the new collector lanes with asphalt first...they appear to still be just concrete.

Yeah, they're still concrete but it would take maybe 3 days to lay down asphalt on the required stretch. It'll be this month, I would imagine.

I think the best design component of all is the pass-unders getting of eatsbound that don't take you just down Hurontario, but one block east, greatly reducing the amount of traffic making an east onto Britannia at Hurontario. The same feature will be mirrored on the north side, though I would think it would take less traffic once completed. I really, really think Dixie S is a prime candidate for that sort of upgrade, as there is a crazy amount of vehicle that get off the 401E, go down to Matheson and then need to turn east. If those care could be routed under Dixie and exit either either Creekbank, or onto a service road that goes all the way to Exporer, there would be a rather significant improvement in flow through the whole area.

I think the best design component of all is the pass-unders getting of eatsbound that don't take you just down Hurontario, but one block east, greatly reducing the amount of traffic making an east onto Britannia at Hurontario. The same feature will be mirrored on the north side, though I would think it would take less traffic once completed. I really, really think Dixie S is a prime candidate for that sort of upgrade, as there is a crazy amount of vehicle that get off the 401E, go down to Matheson and then need to turn east. If those care could be routed under Dixie and exit either either Creekbank, or onto a service road that goes all the way to Exporer, there would be a rather significant improvement in flow through the whole area.

Spoken like someone who has dealt with that traffic...but I completely agree.

Spoken like someone who has dealt with that traffic...but I completely agree.
What about all those heading east on Britannia, turning right on Hurontario, and then onto the ramp to the 401 eastbound. Do they get a new entrance direct from Britannia? Or is it going to get even worse for them, as the fairly quiet intersection at Whittle would now have a significant north-south phase.

No, these are exit ramps only, I believe - one way. For sure the timing at Whittle will have to change to accommodate all the EB traffic. I would imagine the westbound Britannia traffic flow will improve, since the delays are caused by the capacity restraints on Hurontario.

I would imagine the westbound Britannia traffic flow will improve, since the delays are caused by the capacity restraints on Hurontario.
You may well be correct! Though often improving a bottleneck somewhere, merely moves the problem to somewhere else.

Here's a video of the 401 at night which shows the ongoing progress of this project.

[video=youtube;5TKkezPFviw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5TKkezPFviw[/video]

Traffic woes would be heavily improved if the 401 had this collector-express system extended to the 407.
-Maybe 10 lanes to Milton (can include HOVs)
-Maybe 8 lanes to Kitchener (could include HOVs)

I noticed that they have installed the overhead signage gantries (and signs, although covered) on the future WB collector, east of Hurontario. I guess they will move traffic onto that within the next few months.

Traffic woes would be heavily improved if the 401 had this collector-express system extended to the 407.
-Maybe 10 lanes to Milton (can include HOVs)
-Maybe 8 lanes to Kitchener (could include HOVs)
Milton to Kitchener: Proposed 10 to 12 lanes. Possible HOV lane. Possible Express/Collector configuration around highway 6.
I haven't seen anything about Mississsauga to Milton.

Back