News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 926     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

So what's the update on this project? It's now the end of May and construction hasn't begun. What's the hold up? I use this corridor every day and the traffic is terrible, the sooner we get this constructed the better. Anyone know when construction is set to begin for the mavis phase?
The Mavis Road interchange is being widened to accommodate the widening of the 401. Construction should be starting any day now on it, Graham Bros is the contractor doing the work.

As for the actual widening of the 401, given that the widening of the Mavis overpass wasn't coupled with the widening of the highway, as it was for the Hurontario section, seems to indicate that construction of the actual highway widening will not begin this year.

Even if the MTO were to put up the tender on Monday, it would take about 4 months to get construction started (2 months for contractors to draw up their bid, 1 month for the MTO to go over the bids and award the contract and 1 month to set up and start construction). Thus bringing us to October at the earliest, but I don't see that happening.

Hopefully construction will start on it next year, but I think 2016 is the more probable year for this project to get up off its feet.

As for the actual widening of the 401, given that the widening of the Mavis overpass wasn't coupled with the widening of the highway, as it was for the Hurontario section, seems to indicate that construction of the actual highway widening will not begin this year.

Even if the MTO were to put up the tender on Monday, it would take about 4 months to get construction started (2 months for contractors to draw up their bid, 1 month for the MTO to go over the bids and award the contract and 1 month to set up and start construction). Thus bringing us to October at the earliest, but I don't see that happening.

Hopefully construction will start on it next year, but I think 2016 is the more probable year for this project to get up off its feet.
In terms of the work-effort, the longest project is the bridge widening. Quite frankly, given that they are only widening to west of Mavis, and it will still bottleneck over the Credit, I'm not even sure the point of widening the 401 wider than 3 lanes under Mavis. It's the next phase, where they widen over the Credit to Mississauga Road that will finally make a huge difference.

They really need to get it west of Erin Mills to make a difference, hell, bring it to the 407. The 401 through this stretch is probably the most underbuilt highway in the province.

Regardless, this will help people getting off at Mavis.

I drive every now and then but lately it looks like very slow amount of work being done, did they put this on hold?

i saw them doing some digging up of dirt on that 401/mavis bridge, could this need to be widened before they do the next part?

i saw them doing some digging up of dirt on that 401/mavis bridge, could this need to be widened before they do the next part?

Yep.

Here's a pic of the Mavis road overpass lengthening on Saturday

58OJTgD.jpg

the work on the 410 seems to be commencing with the closing of the ramps (NB and SB) to the 407 west.

The work at Mavis is the excavation of the existing road to allow the construction of the collector lanes, as well the on ramp. You can see the support columns where the new support beams over the collector lanes will be place on, next to the current (soon to be Express) lanes.

I saw this some weeks ago while heading home from a trip. Have a photo, but way down the list since I am only posting Aug 5 photos with another 24 days to go.

Yeah the work on Mavis is a lot more intense than I expected. The road is literally torn up.

Are they going to do a lateral slide for the hurontario bridge (or mavis) to make the bridge straight? I hope they're not going to just leave it the way it is.

The work on this project has to be accelerated. The 401 East, from JS to WC is a parking lot during rush hour. West is packed from HO to Trafalgar. I work in Downtown and on a good day I am at 401 W(HO) intersection in 20-25 mins. But from there to (JS) Milton, it takes 40 mins. Crazy. It is also due to bad drivers, people driving in the passing lane at 40km/h leaving huge gaps.

The work on this project has to be accelerated. The 401 East, from JS to WC is a parking lot during rush hour. West is packed from HO to Trafalgar. I work in Downtown and on a good day I am at 401 W(HO) intersection in 20-25 mins. But from there to (JS) Milton, it takes 40 mins.

Since I drive most of that route most days I would dispute that you can get to the 401/Hurontario (I presume that is what you mean by HO) in 25 minutes in anything even close to rush hour. Measuring from the TD Centre to the intersection is just a little bit over 31km.....so you are projecting an average speed of around 75km/hr....which is just not doable on the combination of city streets and Gardiner out to at least Parklawn on any work day prior to, say, 8 p.m.

I get off at the 410 and if I am there in 40 minutes I consider that a very good day.

Are they going to do a lateral slide for the hurontario bridge (or mavis) to make the bridge straight? I hope they're not going to just leave it the way it is.

It's safe to say that the Hurontario bridge is not moving anywhere.

Is it an ever-so-slight misalignment of the grid? Yes.
Does it make you turn ever-so-slightly to the left and right as you cross? Yes.
Is that important enough to have warranted a complete closure Hurontario for months, to allow for reconstruction directly over top of the existing location of the bridge? Absolutely not.

Back