News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 934     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 358     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

It's safe to say that the Hurontario bridge is not moving anywhere.

Is it an ever-so-slight misalignment of the grid? Yes.
Does it make you turn ever-so-slightly to the left and right as you cross? Yes.
Is that important enough to have warranted a complete closure Hurontario for months, to allow for reconstruction directly over top of the existing location of the bridge? Absolutely not.

Will there be another reconstruction of the bridge when the Hurontario LRT is being built? I'm assuming there are provisions in place on the bridge, but I'm still curious.

Too bad Hazel Mccallion never ran for Premiership of ONT. She would have converted the 401 into a 12 lane freeway long time ago, at-least in the major population areas. Some streets in Mississauga like Erin Mills pkway and Eglinton are wider than the 401 stretch from JS to HO.

Too bad Hazel Mccallion never ran for Premiership of ONT. She would have converted the 401 into a 12 lane freeway long time ago, at-least in the major population areas. Some streets in Mississauga like Erin Mills pkway and Eglinton are wider than the 401 stretch from JS to HO.

They're actually the same width: 3 lanes in each direction.

At the intersections there are left and right turning lanes so ninetykman's comment is also partially correct.

surely if you are going to include left and right turn lanes in road width you would have to include on and off ramps too?

They're actually the same width: 3 lanes in each direction.

401W in Mississauga has been neglected for a long time. The provincial govt(s). allowed the expansion of housing in Mississauga and Milton, but did not expand the highway to keep up with the growth. The transit alternative is as bad, there is no GO all day service on the milton line. A lot of people drive. The current expansion will take years, by that time it is completed things will get worse. The Town of Milton is planning more housing between steeles and 401, off tremaine. This is where the Tremaine ramps will be build. They should stop issuing building permits until the highway is at least 12 lanes thru Cambridge. But the developers are too powerful and the govt. needs the taxes.

401W in Mississauga has been neglected for a long time. The provincial govt(s). allowed the expansion of housing in Mississauga and Milton, but did not expand the highway to keep up with the growth. The transit alternative is as bad, there is no GO all day service on the milton line. A lot of people drive. The current expansion will take years, by that time it is completed things will get worse. The Town of Milton is planning more housing between steeles and 401, off tremaine. This is where the Tremaine ramps will be build. They should stop issuing building permits until the highway is at least 12 lanes thru Cambridge. But the developers are too powerful and the govt. needs the taxes.

Not disagreeing with you but since the bulk of the traffic is during the morning and evening rush hours.....you have to wonder if the lack of all day train service is just a convenient excuse by some (not saying you) for maintaining their old driving habits.

I live in Brampton and have wonky hours....but a friend who also lives in Brampton was bemoning the lack of all day service (thinking she had a friendly ally)....I said to her..."don't you start work at 8:30 every day and end at 5 every day"....she said "yes"...."then why do you drive? why do you care that the last train leaves at 6:50?".....no reply.

There are lots of people with flexed hours these days....I get that....but I do have a suspicion that (on all of the limited service lines) there are more people who could be taking the train but choose not to and use the limited service as justification.

Not disagreeing with you but since the bulk of the traffic is during the morning and evening rush hours.....you have to wonder if the lack of all day train service is just a convenient excuse by some (not saying you) for maintaining their old driving habits.

I live in Brampton and have wonky hours....but a friend who also lives in Brampton was bemoning the lack of all day service (thinking she had a friendly ally)....I said to her..."don't you start work at 8:30 every day and end at 5 every day"....she said "yes"...."then why do you drive? why do you care that the last train leaves at 6:50?".....no reply.

There are lots of people with flexed hours these days....I get that....but I do have a suspicion that (on all of the limited service lines) there are more people who could be taking the train but choose not to and use the limited service as justification.

Considering that the parking lots are pretty full, and trains are pretty full, I think the choice to drive is one that is easily made by those who choose to do so.

Considering that the parking lots are pretty full, and trains are pretty full, I think the choice to drive is one that is easily made by those who choose to do so.

sure, increasing train capacity and parking capacity are good goals/ideals to make the choice to take the train easier...no doubt.....but they have very little to do with all day service....if someone works a very tradditional "9-5" day (as many still do in DT Toronto) the fact that there is no 8 pm train has very little to do with our rush hour road congestion.

I agree and I am one of those guilty of driving but I am an early riser, If I leave home around 7 AM, I can be at work 7:40 but when I take GO and other transit, It takes min of 60 mins. And its not cheap either. The issue is that the Govt. talks about lost productivity due to traffic, but doesn't provide a plan to tackle it. They should have build speed inter city rail to take people off the road. If that's exp. then at least build small thruways with low tolls, like in US to give alternatives.

I agree and I am one of those guilty of driving but I am an early riser, If I leave home around 7 AM, I can be at work 7:40 but when I take GO and other transit, It takes min of 60 mins. And its not cheap either. The issue is that the Govt. talks about lost productivity due to traffic, but doesn't provide a plan to tackle it. They should have build speed inter city rail to take people off the road. If that's exp. then at least build small thruways with low tolls, like in US to give alternatives.

curious...if you are at work at 7:40 what time do you leave...how long does the reverse trip take?

I agree and I am one of those guilty of driving but I am an early riser, If I leave home around 7 AM, I can be at work 7:40 but when I take GO and other transit, It takes min of 60 mins. And its not cheap either.
You only save 20 minutes from driving? My gosh, I'd happily trade a 40-minute car drive for a 60-minute on transit, where I can sleep, read and even get a bit more exercise. In fact I did trade a 30-minute car drive for a 65 minute TTC in my previous commute ... and lost some weight! And saved money, because suddenly we only needed one car instead of two.

The issue is that the Govt. talks about lost productivity due to traffic, but doesn't provide a plan to tackle it.
Uh - isn't the Big Move and the $25 billion the government just dropped for the next 10 years (above and beyond the $10 billion already dropped on various TTC, Mississauga and York lines, and who knows how many $billion on GO) a plan?

Aug 28 Photo
I just got around to posting photos up to Aug 28 and some shots from the west end
15323951086_3e68d381f2_b.jpg

15160399098_006e660ce0_b.jpg

15160210499_0355a0fdb7_b.jpg

15343791391_7a6dbcbccc_b.jpg

15160271010_c673d08a96_b.jpg

15323947816_0ca945ed32_b.jpg

Back