News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 957     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 361     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

How much would a replacement bridge cost?

The bridge needs to be replaced to accommodate a wider 401 and MTO is responsible for paying for all those costs. If Mississauga wants 4 lanes and/or bike lanes then that is their cost. A new bridge costs about $5k to $6k per square metre of deck area. I would guess the replacement bridge would be about 100m long and about 12.5m wide (2@1.5m s/w, 2@1.0m shld, 2@3.75m lanes) - For a total of about $7M. Adding 2 extra lanes would be an extra 7.5m of deck width, or about $4M extra.

How much would a replacement bridge cost?

The bridge needs to be replaced to accommodate a wider 401 and MTO is responsible for paying for all those costs. If Mississauga wants 4 lanes and/or bike lanes then that is their cost. A new bridge costs about $5k to $6k per square metre of deck area. I would guess the replacement bridge would be about 100m long and about 12.5m wide (2@1.5m s/w, 2@1.0m shld, 2@3.75m lanes) - For a total of about $7M. Adding 2 extra lanes would be an extra 7.5m of deck width, or about $4M extra.

The bridge would cost $15M. The $500k Drum is talking about is for a pedestrian bridge only.

I was at the meeting a couple of years back where they sprung it on us that it was not going to be rebuilt. Basically, the city sold their soul back in the early 80's with respect to certain items such as this. They 'exchanged' the cost of certain developments with MTO in order to save on other items. The end result is that the replacement of the 2nd line bridge ended up being the city's responsibility rather than MTO. Remember that this was back in 1982 (?) when the swap was made (I don't remember what the city gained from this), and so at the meeting when the city was challenged on the 2nd line bridge, they shrugged their shoulders and said that their was no money for a new bridge. The problem is that the decision was made so far back that it's basically irrelevant today. So we have a ton of development here today, an aging bridge that has to come down due to 401 widening, and no money to pay for a new bridge because of a decision made in the 80's when the area was farmland. Thanks Hazel.

One interesting point during the meeting... There was a traffic study that was done which showed that only about 4000 vehicles use the road each day, which doesn't show that a new bridge is warranted. This was done on a weekday some time in the late morning when traffic is not heavy. However, the traffic on this stretch during rush hour and on weekends can get fairly busy, as the neighbouring Sombrero Rd. stretch can get pretty bad. So we wanted them to do another study, which they said that they would look at, but I never heard anything further from it.

I'd love for them to rebuild, because it offers a nice alternative to the craziness that is Mavis, but I doubt that we will get anything more than a footbridge when it's all said and done. The other option would have been a pedestrian tunnel following Fletcher's Creek, which runs only a few metres west (this would be incorporated as part of the widening of the current bridge over the Creek), but I think the bridge ended up being the best option.

Meeting story here: http://www.mississauga.com/news-story/3121482-bridge-demolition-angers-residents/

The bridge would cost $15M. The $500k Drum is talking about is for a pedestrian bridge only.

I was at the meeting a couple of years back where they sprung it on us that it was not going to be rebuilt. Basically, the city sold their soul back in the early 80's with respect to certain items such as this. They 'exchanged' the cost of certain developments with MTO in order to save on other items. The end result is that the replacement of the 2nd line bridge ended up being the city's responsibility rather than MTO. Remember that this was back in 1982 (?) when the swap was made (I don't remember what the city gained from this), and so at the meeting when the city was challenged on the 2nd line bridge, they shrugged their shoulders and said that their was no money for a new bridge. The problem is that the decision was made so far back that it's basically irrelevant today. So we have a ton of development here today, an aging bridge that has to come down due to 401 widening, and no money to pay for a new bridge because of a decision made in the 80's when the area was farmland. Thanks Hazel.

One interesting point during the meeting... There was a traffic study that was done which showed that only about 4000 vehicles use the road each day, which doesn't show that a new bridge is warranted. This was done on a weekday some time in the late morning when traffic is not heavy. However, the traffic on this stretch during rush hour and on weekends can get fairly busy, as the neighbouring Sombrero Rd. stretch can get pretty bad. So we wanted them to do another study, which they said that they would look at, but I never heard anything further from it.

I'd love for them to rebuild, because it offers a nice alternative to the craziness that is Mavis, but I doubt that we will get anything more than a footbridge when it's all said and done. The other option would have been a pedestrian tunnel following Fletcher's Creek, which runs only a few metres west (this would be incorporated as part of the widening of the current bridge over the Creek), but I think the bridge ended up being the best option.

Meeting story here: http://www.mississauga.com/news-story/3121482-bridge-demolition-angers-residents/

The $500,00 is for a pedestrian & cycle bridge only and that maybe on the light side.

You have to thank the residents of the old village of Meadowvalle for the removal of 2nd line and the bridge as that what they wanted sometime ago.

They have change their minds more than enough times that the city finally said it would not replace the bridge when come time to upgrade the road or the 401 since the residents couldn't makeup their mind what the Village was to be in the first place.

The fire department had issues at first with the changing of the road as well the bridge, but can deal with it now.

If you put in a replacement bridge, you need to redo the land use and road south of 401 as its a residential street now, not a through street.

A correction: The $500,000 is for part of the design only as it still not clear what type of bridge it will be nor the cost. Its a funding issue and they may built the piers for it when work starts on the 401, with the bridge following at a later date.

There will never be a road bridge again unless council decide a decade or 2 from now to do it.

Hey, does anybody know if the ramp carrying 403 traffic to the 401 westbound is in this round of improvements, and if so, when it's likely to open?

Hey, does anybody know if the ramp carrying 403 traffic to the 401 westbound is in this round of improvements, and if so, when it's likely to open?
No it's not. It's part of the next phase, which includes widening the 401 from east of Mavis to East of the Credit River. I thought someone posted the dates here somewhere ... was it start in 2015 complete in 2018 or something like that?

Ah yes, that was it. That's the approved list, and much of the planned stuff in that category has a 2017 completion date. So 2018 or 2019 I'd guess.

I'd think they wouldn't start until after the Pan-Am games, and then start fall 2015 or spring 2016, for 3-4 years of construction. Though nothing to say some aspects wouldn't open sooner then the construction end-date.

From the Yahoo OntRoads group:

"Regarding 401 through Mississauga, things have been moving pretty quickly on that. The pylons were removed about six weeks ago (since the Hurontario project was completed). The future HOV lanes are blocked off at this time, but that's not really an issue right now, given how the express is free flow even at the height of the PM peak, excepting back up from the merge at McLaughlin. For the next phase of expansion, there was a PIC last month, and by all appearances they're just about ready to go on that. Of course, even if they called the contract to start in the spring, a project of this scale would likely take four years to build (the one that just wrapped was called in 2009). So, "Beyond 2017" seems fairly appropriate."

I'd love to see construction start next year. If so, the MTO left out a big project in their 2013-2017 report.

Source: http://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/ontroads/conversations/topics/22512

Ah yes, that was it. That's the approved list, and much of the planned stuff in that category has a 2017 completion date. So 2018 or 2019 I'd guess.

I'd think they wouldn't start until after the Pan-Am games, and then start fall 2015 or spring 2016, for 3-4 years of construction. Though nothing to say some aspects wouldn't open sooner then the construction end-date.

The Mavis bridges are not expected to be completed until 2016 and this will have some impact on the 401 traffic during the games, but will have very little impact on the games. Work could start fall of 2015 on the 401 work depending where the bridge work is at that time, but most likely spring of 2016 and completed 2018/19. There are no flyunder or over in this section and will help to speed up the construction time frame. The Port Credit River bridge may take more time depending on how things are schedule as well plan for it.

The Port Credit River bridge may take more time depending on how things are schedule as well plan for it.
I didn't think that was part of the next phase. I thought the next phase from east of Mavis to east of the bridge. And it's the following phase that would see collector lanes cross the Credit.

I didn't think that was part of the next phase. I thought the next phase from east of Mavis to east of the bridge. And it's the following phase that would see collector lanes cross the Credit.

I maybe wrong, but its my understanding that the bridge will be rebuilt under this phase with no express service across it until the next phase. Kind of going hand in hand for the second line bridge that has to be built before that next phase as it needs the room for it.

Back