News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.1K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 977     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 367     0 

Roads: Highway 401 Widening - Highway 8 to Highway 410 (MTO, U/C, Planned)

Judging by the photos am I right to assume that there is only going to be two general purpose lanes in each direction in the express sections of the newly widened highway?

It will be 2+HOV I think.

What a nightmare. HOV lanes shouldn't even be considered until there is at least 3 general purpose lanes.

Having 2 general purpose lanes on a 400 series highway is literately a joke!

- Left lane hogging
- tail gating
- HOV lane will be abused more so than usual.

I was afraid of this when I heard they were widening to only 12 lanes instead of 14.

I would much rather see 3 general purpose lanes than a 2+HOV setup.

Last edited:
What a nightmare. HOV lanes shouldn't even be considered until there is at least 3 general purpose lanes.

Having 2 general purpose lanes on a 400 series highway is literately a joke!
This is only on express/collector segments, so your worry is unfounded.

It's actually going to be

3+2 GP + 1 HOV

The ramps for the 401/403/410 are schedule for 2015 or 16 depending on funding. No one knows why this ramp wasn't part of the expansion nor why it taken so long. Detail drawing being done now for it.

The 2nd line bridge is supposed to come down in 2014 and subject to change. Will require a few weekends of closure for the 401. MTO looked at putting a path in under the new Port Credit River Bridge, but not enough head room. This will require a bridge over the 401 and up in the air at this time. The city is talking about one, but not sure where it is at this time.

Construction starts May 2015 for the expansion of the Mavis Rd bridges and about 2 year of work. The eastbound off ramp will see the same thing that was done for Hurontario.

There is talk that on/off ramps maybe built for the HOV lanes only with McLaughlin being possible one of them. Still being looked at and may happen once the HOV lanes go east of 410. This would be a safety issue at stop going cross X lanes to get to/from the HOV lane.

Work on the 401 may start in 2015 subject to fund as well the process of Mavis Rd bridges. Otherwise, 2016 for start up.

No date has been looked at going west at this time. This section has major width problem to the point that exportation may have to take place to get the room for the widening.

When it comes to do the 407 area, the whole thing going to have to be rebuilt.

A new thread should be done for the next phase.

why wait so long, why not start now?
it doesnt take that long to pave a loop ramp that pretty much already exists

why wait so long, why not start now?
it doesnt take that long to pave a loop ramp that pretty much already exists

$$$$$$$

...And politics.

The government is in massive debt and with a minority government decisions are not made lightheartedly. If this was a standard C-E system it would be cheaper than complicating it even further with HOV lanes.

Also the Mavis overpass is relatively new, but instead of building it to support near-term 401 widening, they cut corners to save money. Expanding the overpass will ultimately cost more than if they just built the thing properly the first time.

Further down the 401, some of the overpasses were built to support a C-E system, but they were not designed to support HOV lanes. This means costly, time-consuming redesigns of the highway to squeeze HOV lanes onto it.

-The same could be said for the 401/407 interchange.

Plus, much of the province's road contractors are busy and cannot work on such a substantial project. The work on the 401 in Windsor seems to be delayed for at least another year due to faulty girders.

...And politics.

The government is in massive debt and with a minority government decisions are not made lightheartedly. If this was a standard C-E system it would be cheaper than complicating it even further with HOV lanes.

Also the Mavis overpass is relatively new, but instead of building it to support near-term 401 widening, they cut corners to save money. Expanding the overpass will ultimately cost more than if they just built the thing properly the first time.

Further down the 401, some of the overpasses were built to support a C-E system, but they were not designed to support HOV lanes. This means costly, time-consuming redesigns of the highway to squeeze HOV lanes onto it.

-The same could be said for the 401/407 interchange.

Plus, much of the province's road contractors are busy and cannot work on such a substantial project. The work on the 401 in Windsor seems to be delayed for at least another year due to faulty girders.

Agreed.

I don't mind HOV lanes on all the other 400 series highways except the 401. Seems redundant to add HOV lanes to the 401 when they're already extending the collectors lanes. Having a 2 +HOV lane setup will encourage tailgating, left lane hogging and may even potentially slow traffic down. The HOV lanes on the 401 will most likely become the most abused HOV lanes in Ontario. Drivers swerving onto the HOV lane just to get around trucks driving in the middle lane.

If the government wanted to add HOV lanes to the 401 then they should have added them from Main St. (Milton) to Creditview Rd. (Mississauga).

This whole project is a mess in my opinion.

All of this widening of the 401 in Mississauga will increase the congestion on the 401 between the 427 and the 409.

I know it sounds crazy, but the government should consider burying the 401 between HWY 27 and Islington Ave. That way they have room to add collectors lanes without having to expropriate so much land.

The Mavis bridge was designed to be expanded. It would have been impractical to build the ramps with a full length bridge in place before the widening.

The city has put $500,000 into the 2014 budget for a bridge for the 2nd line. Not approved at this time.

Back