News   Mar 28, 2024
 1.4K     3 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 690     2 
News   Mar 28, 2024
 942     0 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

There are no amount of lanes that will help the 410 given Brampton’s built form. I’ve lived through at least one widening and fairly soon after that it was as bad as it was before.

Brampton’s population has only increased since then, and all new developments are still heavily car-oriented.
The traffic in Brampton is substantially better since the widening, particularly southbound.

The problem is that the widening was originally go to Bovaird, after which traffic counts on the 410 drop significantly. Instead they ended it at Queen for some unkown reason, creating a huge bottleneck northbound. Traffic counts are actually *higher* between Williams Parkway and Queen St than Queen St south to the 407.

This bottleneck causes traffic to back up to the south in the widened portion, but it only exists because of the capacity crunch between Queen St and Bovaird.

The part of the 410 south of the 407 operates traffic-free for most of the day now though, as it is far enough from that bottleneck to not really be effected, and that was absolutely not the case beforehand.

The highway would operate a lot better if they extended the 10-lane part to Bovaird, as the original plan was.

It's because they changed the lane pattern between Steeles and Queen when they added the HOV lane in.
In the past you had the ramp from Steeles Eastbound that went straight and exited at Queen, and the ramp from Steeles Westbound continued right to exit at Clark. Meaning no lanes were lost.

Now both Steeles ramps end before the railway tracks, and then you lose the right lane to Clark and then the next lane exits at Queen as the HOV rejoins. Meaning you got traffic from Steeles moving over several lanes to continue past Queen.

The traffic in Brampton is substantially better since the widening, particularly southbound.

The problem is that the widening was originally go to Bovaird, after which traffic counts on the 410 drop significantly. Instead they ended it at Queen for some unkown reason, creating a huge bottleneck northbound. Traffic counts are actually *higher* between Williams Parkway and Queen St than Queen St south to the 407.

This bottleneck causes traffic to back up to the south in the widened portion, but it only exists because of the capacity crunch between Queen St and Bovaird.

The part of the 410 south of the 407 operates traffic-free for most of the day now though, as it is far enough from that bottleneck to not really be effected, and that was absolutely not the case beforehand.

The highway would operate a lot better if they extended the 10-lane part to Bovaird, as the original plan was.
It's in the EA/Preliminary Design phase now (south of Queen to north of Bovaird). So expect detail design in a couple years, construction starting maybe 2026 and lasting 2-3 years.

Screenshot_20220506-130726_Chrome.jpg

I just noticed that these development proposals threaten to block the extension of the 410 to Highway 413.

View attachment 398642
I just noticed that these development proposals threaten to block the extension of the 410 to Highway 413.
The lands are reserved for the highway - they may own them, but if you look at the draft plans of subdivisions for the sites they more than likely leave the land alone that is needed for the 410 extension.

I hope they cancel it so southern Caledon residents have to put up with local roads congested with truck trailers. And at some point, something bad is going happen that will cause a massive uproar demanding that truck trailers be removed from Caledon municipal roads.

We're in for a rude awakening, and I'm not surprised.

Uhhhh have you been to Bolton lol? This is already the case on Mayfield and on Highway 50 and on Coleraine. It is horrendous and dangerous.
Coreraine actually has a no truck sign yet I see many trucks per day using it. It's now completely covered with deep potholes

Mayfield is also getting clogged with trucks.

I'm still not sold on why we can't just have a contiguous parkway corridor like Donald Cousens or Highway 7 between 410 and the 400, and extend the 427 up to Mayfield Road or King Road. It's cheaper, discourages freeway-centric suburb building in northern Peel, and allows a more direct connection to Bolton for freight trucks.

Uhhhh have you been to Bolton lol? This is already the case on Mayfield and on Highway 50 and on Coleraine. It is horrendous and dangerous.
Yeah, that highway 427 extension is useless from the Caledon perspective because, to get there you have to try and survive on an awful stretch of highway 50 filled with tons of trucks.

Back