News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.3K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 542     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.1K     1 

Roads: GTA West Corridor—Highway 413

How about tolling all major 400 series highways from the borders of Halton, Peel, York, Durham? Do so in a manner that encourages us, the general public and business, to become more prudent in our driving activities, encourages development of capacities to move people and cargo using transit options throughout the regions quickly (with precedence at all intersections and roads over cars...), and funds those improvements and costs on an ongoing basis. Tolling could also encourage the use of green energies, reduce existing congestion, and speed up the development of planned transit infrastructure of various types. The tolling does not need to be at 407 levels, but being fully electronic, could certainly be tailored to meet differing specifications, maybe even give me a Transit Credit on my integrated transit card (must it be Presto?) if I live in the Region somewhere and only drive my green energy vehicle x number of km's per month?

Something to look into is whether there is a clause tying IO's with setting tolls on parallel routes to 407.

to the surprise of absolutely no-one. The fact that Brampton thought it was a good idea to waste hundred of thousands on consultant fees for that crap-shoot of an idea is mind-boggling. It was literally the worst of both worlds. "lets make a road that is bad for cars, *and* people!"

Last edited:
What does it prove?
Most of these cites that "oppose" the highway don't actually oppose it, some examples below.

Vaughan and King

It's all a show.

Most of these cites that "oppose" the highway don't actually oppose it, some examples below.

Vaughan and King

It's all a show.
Ah.

York Region for sure hasn’t seen a piece of land it wasn’t interested in paving over.

The 413 isn't really a municipal/regional issue. Not much they can do about it.

The next provincial election is just over 4 months away and I am sure this will be a major issue during the campaign. No sense stirring the pot till then.

After the election, I'm sure municipal/regional politicians will promote their stance on the project to get support/media attention for the local elections held in October.

By 2023 the makeup of our local and provincial governments could look very different, and that could impact this project considerably. Conversely, it could also be pretty similar to what we have now. Up to us to decide.

Last edited:
The 413 isn't really a municipal/regional issue. Not much they can do about it.

The next provincial election is just over 4 months away and I am sure this will be a major issue during the campaign. No sense stirring the pot till then.

After the election, I'm sure municipal/regional politicians will promote their stance on the project to get support/media attention for the local elections held in October.

By 2023 the makeup of our local and provincial governments could look very different, and that could impact this project considerably. Conversely, it could also be pretty similar to what we have now. Up to us to decide.
People will vote for the highway when they realize the other parties will offer nothing.

Dont really care about Mississauga opposition towards the highway as their opinion is irrelevant, but this paragraph caught my eye.

Meanwhile, a project manager with Ontario’s Ministry of Transportation is scheduled to speak at tomorrow’s Region of Peel council meeting, where he’ll present councillors with information related to preliminary design of Hwy. 413.

A change in pace.

Too bad Highway 416 was already taken...
Hwy416map.jpg
From link.

Too bad Area Code 413 was already taken...
413-area-code.png
From link.

Back