News   Jul 19, 2024
 800     0 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 3.6K     7 
News   Jul 19, 2024
 1.1K     3 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway

Start at 9h22m58s or click this link

Joe Cressy hitting the nail on the head.

And without damaging his thumb. If more and more people will be walking, bicycling, taking public transit, taking GO, we should be look at tearing the Gardiner down. Think about in a hundred years, when we have used up our finite oil reserves, there would be no need for a Gardiner that carries single-occupant automobiles.

Money saved
$200 million per year to keep such an underused stretch of road is a bit of a waste, when it can be used for so many other infrastructure purposes. Road resurfacing, bus lanes, THCH housing, rail transit expansion, etc.

I think you are off by several orders of magnitude. The number tossed around was about $1B ($900 something million) over 100 years. That is $10M per year. And I think in terms of Net Present Value, it was about half that at $5M/yr.

Beyond this you have to look at the cost of additional traffic on streets (to avoid tolls). This also delays transit.

Most politicians who agree to this will also lose the next election (remember the GST). Every time you pay the toll bill you would be reminded of who passed the law. This is a huge deterrent.

Agreed, there’s a general overall opposition to the implementation of tolls, even amongst supposed progressives looking for revenue (why else has the Prov ruled them out?). And yes, they can also cause drivers to take alternate surface routes.

Naturally a major part of expressways is to make the trip faster for ‘them car drivers’. But another key component that many seem to ignore is that it gets cars and trucks off the surface roads – for the benefit of local communities. People don’t want dump trucks and semis tearing through neighbourhoods leaving mayhem in their wake? Have them drive above or below ground. This logic is very similar to the reasoning for grade-separating our rail corridors.

I was out by Windemere yesterday. Walking below the Gardiner and rail corridor? A breeze. Crossing a boulevard-ized Lake Shore highway? Long wait for pedestrian signal, two-stage crossing, and short countdown when it finally was our turn. Which is more of an impediment for pedestrians – seamlessly walking under a highway, or waiting and hurriedly walking across a highway?

Start at 9h22m58s or click this link

Joe Cressy hitting the nail on the head.

Cressy: "The savings from the Remove option pay for the Waterfront East LRT"
(but not really, because that project has fallen off the radar and/or has been downgraded to BRT – with projects 20km away being a bigger priority and user of future funds).

And IMO it’s a bit flawed for him to use Bill Davis’ quotes, because those concerned the building of new expressways. This isn’t a new expressway, it’s an existing one. On top of that, it’s the shortening and reduction in size of an existing one. As well, a new and important part of the Remove option is not about ‘opening up’ our waterfront for the public. It’s about parcelling it, selling it, and privatizing it for development. The public's access to the Keating Channel would be more or less the same as it is now with the Remove option.

I think you are off by several orders of magnitude. The number tossed around was about $1B ($900 something million) over 100 years. That is $10M per year. And I think in terms of Net Present Value, it was about half that at $5M/yr.

The whole 1B over 100 years is mainly fear mongering. The Gardiner in its present form hasnt even been around for that long

Agreed, there’s a general overall opposition to the implementation of tolls, even amongst supposed progressives looking for revenue (why else has the Prov ruled them out?). And yes, they can also cause drivers to take alternate surface routes.

Naturally a major part of expressways is to make the trip faster for ‘them car drivers’. But another key component that many seem to ignore is that it gets cars and trucks off the surface roads – for the benefit of local communities. People don’t want dump trucks and semis tearing through neighbourhoods leaving mayhem in their wake? Have them drive above or below ground. This logic is very similar to the reasoning for grade-separating our rail corridors.

Wait, what? Are you suggesting that if we remove the section of Gardiner from Don Roadway to Jarvis and replace it with a robust surface route, rogue dump trucks and semis will be tearing through Riverdale or St. Lawrence? Because... they're going where? And from where? That's the single worst grasping at straws yet in this debate.

I was out by Windemere yesterday. Walking below the Gardiner and rail corridor? A breeze. Crossing a boulevard-ized Lake Shore highway? Long wait for pedestrian signal, two-stage crossing, and short countdown when it finally was our turn. Which is more of an impediment for pedestrians – seamlessly walking under a highway, or waiting and hurriedly walking across a highway?

It could be very true that it takes less time to cross Lake Shore at Sherbourne, Parliament or Cherry now then it will with a boulevard. Or it could be more, if we decide to further inconvenience car drivers with signal changes. But to compare the experience at Sherbourne, Cherry or Parliament now with Windemere now is apples and oranges, and it will not get better with the Maintain* (sorry, 'new' hybrid that follows old route) option. Under the Hybrid option, Cherry pedestrians will be crossing a busier Lake Shore with new on- and off-ramps to dodge, as the Leslie stump is torn down. The experience at Parliament, Sherbourne, and Jarvis will be exactly the same as current (albeit with a shiny new overhead Gardiner to admire and more traffic on Lake Shore coming from the Beaches), crossing under the rail berm, over Lake Shore and under Gardiner. Assuming the planners give a fig about pedestrians and bikes, it might be better ambience, but it will be a busier crossing under the same elevated expressway.

Under the 'Remove' option, Lake Shore will be a busier crossing, with a central median for pausing. But there will be no Gardiner. So, compared to Windemere, your crossing is of one major route, not two, and your time crossing will be less. Compared to the current alignment, it should be comparable but with better ambience. My point -- and I do have one -- is that no one who is concerned about pedestrians first (or at all) would choose the Hybrid option, as it is both worse than the Remove and worse than current.

And IMO it’s a bit flawed for him to use Bill Davis’ quotes, because those concerned the building of new expressways. This isn’t a new expressway, it’s an existing one. On top of that, it’s the shortening and reduction in size of an existing one. As well, a new and important part of the Remove option is not about ‘opening up’ our waterfront for the public. It’s about parcelling it, selling it, and privatizing it for development. The public's access to the Keating Channel would be more or less the same as it is now with the Remove option.

I must admit I don't get your 'shortening' argument -- you're talking about the Leslie stump, I guess? But it's coming down in either option, so I'm not sure how that buttresses your argument. And, c'mon. If you can't see the difference between opening up 12 acres to development, civic renewal, new housing and offices, etc. and leaving it as a rancid cesspool and junkyard, that's just weird.

Last edited:
Wait, what? Are you suggesting that if we remove the section of Gardiner from Don Roadway to Jarvis and replace it with a robust surface route, rogue dump trucks and semis will be tearing through Riverdale or St. Lawrence? Because... they're going where? And from where? That's the single worst grasping at straws yet in this debate.

They'll be so desperate to avoid the 4 traffic lights on Lake Shore that they'll... choose to deal with 10 traffic lights on King instead?

I was more segueing from the point about drivers taking alternates if an expressway were tolled, to the mere existence of expressways in the first place. Yes they were built to make commuting faster, but also because it provides a safe alternative to surface routes through inhabited areas/communities.

The East Bayfront is developing – with or without the Gardiner. My point is that with the Gardiner in place, crosstown drivers (and the dump trucks, semis, construction vehicles etc) will opt to use it if it can be part of their journey. With it gone, they’ll use Lake Shore – much to the ire of the 10,000 residents in the new neighbourhood we’re building. The semis and dump trucks I’m referencing are not theoretical fear mongering. They’re here today, they’ll be here tomorrow. And once we start developing the Port Lands, there will be a lot more of them. It’s only logical to conclude that anyone walking across Lake Shore multiple times a day would prefer if there existed a different route the trucks could use (even if this route was elevated and involved someone having to endure standing in a shadow for a few seconds).

It could be very true that it takes less time to cross Lake Shore at Sherbourne, Parliament or Cherry now then it will with a boulevard. Or it could be more, if we decide to further inconvenience car drivers with signal changes. But to compare the experience at Sherbourne, Cherry or Parliament now with Windemere now is apples and oranges, and it will not get better with the Maintain* (sorry, 'new' hybrid that follows old route) option. Under the Hybrid option, Cherry pedestrians will be crossing a busier Lake Shore with new on- and off-ramps to dodge, as the Leslie stump is torn down. The experience at Parliament, Sherbourne, and Jarvis will be exactly the same as current (albeit with a shiny new overhead Gardiner to admire and more traffic on Lake Shore coming from the Beaches), crossing under the rail berm, over Lake Shore and under Gardiner. Assuming the planners give a fig about pedestrians and bikes, it might be better ambience, but it will be a busier crossing under the same elevated expressway.

I don’t really get what you’re trying to say. My point is that Lake Shore will be wider and busier with the Remove option – and very similar to how I described Lake Shore at Windemere. With the Hybrid, it will be less busy, narrower, with single stage ped crossings – and therefore more optimal to cross for a pedestrian.

I must admit I don't get your 'shortening' argument -- you're talking about the Leslie stump, I guess? But it's coming down in either option, so I'm not sure how that buttresses your argument. And, c'mon. If you can't see the difference between opening up 12 acres to development, civic renewal, new housing and offices, etc. and leaving it as a rancid cesspool and junkyard, that's just weird.

But it doesn’t have to be left as a “rancid cesspoolâ€. And if I’m looking at the plans correctly, it won’t be. The development, civic renewal, housing, offices, waterfront accessibility, etc are all coming regardless of what plan is chosen.

They'll be so desperate to avoid the 4 traffic lights on Lake Shore that they'll... choose to deal with 10 traffic lights on King instead?

Or by using the Gardiner, deal with no traffic lights (or pedestrians, cyclists, streetcars, buses, etc) – which is an option many want to do away with.

I watched councillors Mihevc and Carroll on TV yesterday trying to justify demolishing the Gardiner yesterday. Their arguments sound ridiculous to me. Yes the Gardiner east of Jarvis has lower traffic volumes than the rest of the Gardiner but if you are crazy enough to demolish the Gardiner and dump all that traffic onto Lakeshore then the traffic will become much worse. The models that lowball the amount of traffic congestion this will cause assume that GO electrification, the downtown relief line and the Queen's Quay East LRT all get built which is unrealistic, obviously only the first one will get built in the next 10 years. Also there will be massive backups on DVP southbound and Gardiner eastbound near the ends of the highways due to traffic waiting at traffic lights. The traffic is awful enough in this city as it is and I absolutely do not support anything that intentionally makes it worse. Also we desperately need to widen the DVP and the DVP/404/401 interchange because the DVP is the single worst congested highway in the GTA, but these far left councillors would go nuts if we suggested that. It is time that we upload the DVP/Gardiner to the province in order to get rid of the tear down the Gardiner types permanently, get the DVP widened, improve the maintenance of the Gardiner and put and end to DVP/Gardiner closures for special events permanently.

I watched councillors Mihevc and Carroll on TV yesterday trying to justify demolishing the Gardiner yesterday. Their arguments sound ridiculous to me. Yes the Gardiner east of Jarvis has lower traffic volumes than the rest of the Gardiner but if you are crazy enough to demolish the Gardiner and dump all that traffic onto Lakeshore then the traffic will become much worse. The models that lowball the amount of traffic congestion this will cause assume that GO electrification, the downtown relief line and the Queen's Quay East LRT all get built which is unrealistic, obviously only the first one will get built in the next 10 years. Also there will be massive backups on DVP southbound and Gardiner eastbound near the ends of the highways due to traffic waiting at traffic lights. The traffic is awful enough in this city as it is and I absolutely do not support anything that intentionally makes it worse. Also we desperately need to widen the DVP and the DVP/404/401 interchange because the DVP is the single worst congested highway in the GTA, but these far left councillors would go nuts if we suggested that. It is time that we upload the DVP/Gardiner to the province in order to get rid of the tear down the Gardiner types permanently, get the DVP widened, improve the maintenance of the Gardiner and put and end to DVP/Gardiner closures for special events permanently.

The idea of highway reducing traffic is outdated and has been proven wrong. It is 2015 now. Stop living in the past.

Tear down the entire Gardiner and close the DVP. Real cities are for people, not cars. It si time for Toronto become a real city again.

There's not enough space to widen the DVP, as has been explained every time we have a new Council, as the new Councillors have the same 'brilliant new idea no one has ever thought of before'.

Amazing how Doady's solution sounds so much more radical than 'spend billions to put cars in the sky', but is probably not really.

While we are debating keeping up the Gardiner, other cities are converting their overpass freeways into parks.

0024e3cc5.jpg

Perhaps they could tear down the Gardiner and make Lakeshore into one of those boulevards with underpass intersections like they use in Europe on urban ring roads, so traffic in the throught-lanes on Lakeshore never has to stop for lights.

https://goo.gl/maps/bWAzt
https://goo.gl/maps/9Mokg
Wouldn't that just be an at-grade version of a highway?

The GTA is a case study of its own - inadequate rapid transit, poorly planned high capacity road network, and relatively low population density.

Last edited:

Back