News   Jul 25, 2024
 200     0 
News   Jul 25, 2024
 332     0 
News   Jul 24, 2024
 850     1 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

Not sure if this has been posted, it's about to start. The concrete structure of this on-ramp looks to be in pretty poor shape.

1721855614161.png

You should delete this one too. And that one. And perhaps then someone will delete the post pointing out it's a duplicate. Or triplicate. Or whatever we are at now.

(yeah, I'll delete this soon - as one does)
Ok, I’ll delete them all. Everyone follow!
I deleted them all, just waiting for you to delete them now.

@kotsy @beatle04

Ok, update. I’ve already deleted all of mine, expect for this one, until just @beatle04 deletes the reply. Kotsy and nfitz deleted already!
Or Craig could do that :)

Last edited:
Pardon my lack of civil engineering knowledge, but would it have been too cost prohibitive to tunnel for both the Ontario Line and a new hypothetical underground Gardiner rebuild? In my head it would make sense to combine the tunnelling costs of the OL with the costs of the Gardiner rebuild and just go ahead and build a massive multimodal tunnel downtown. But hey, what do I know.

Pardon my lack of civil engineering knowledge, but would it have been too cost prohibitive to tunnel for both the Ontario Line and a new hypothetical underground Gardiner rebuild? In my head it would make sense to combine the tunnelling costs of the OL with the costs of the Gardiner rebuild and just go ahead and build a massive multimodal tunnel downtown. But hey, what do I know.
One only has to look to Boston and Seattle to see what it cost them to put their elevated Hwy underground, how long it took and the problems with it after the fact..

Putting the Gardiner underground has been looked at as well over the rail corridor and have gone no where

Waterfront Toronto has wanted to put the eastern section on the surface since 2002 by replacing it as a BLVD and got push back on it as it would add 5 extra minute travel time for drivers. By doing so, it would open up more land for development.

The province needs to fund higher, alternative GO service in order to ratchet back on the gridlock.

LSW needs to go to 15 minute all-day service every day, and they need to squeeze in another couple of peak period trains too.

Milton needs to be maxed out based on current infra. which would be about 3 more trains each way, and K-W needs to be pushed to its limits, particularly in the Union-Bramalea segment.

To tackle the central/eastern segments, they likewise need to get to 15 minute service, all-day, every day on the LSE and bring back express services......

Which yes, again, I'm going to point out the mess here was caused by failing to insist on burying the Ontario Line through Leslieville.

Likewise, they need to get Stouffville off-peak up to 30M 2-way, all-day.

You can't just accelerate work when that work is still going to be measured in terms of six or more years total. You need alternatives.
I've talked about this before. The issue with LSW is the lack of parking between Clarkson and Union. People still opt to drive on the Gardiner cause they can't find a parking spot at the GO stations.

Metrolinx should temporarily expand parking at Mimico while the Gardiner is under construction.

The Gardiner removal ship has sailed and with the upload to the province I don't see any movement for a long time. Better focus on what's doable in this context.

AoD

They're probably not going to put a brand new elevated expressway underground (which is what's under construction now). On the other hand, as the maintenance costs increase and the regional transit system gets built out, I could see provincial bureaucrats deeming it to no longer be a necessary piece of infrastructure. The province won't want to deal with the maintenance costs after awhile.

Back