News   Jun 26, 2024
 206     0 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.7K     1 
News   Jun 25, 2024
 1.1K     0 

Roads: Gardiner Expressway catch-all, incl. Hybrid Design (2015-onwards)

I drive a 2015 Honda Civic, which is paid off, and it certainly doesn't cost me over $1000 a month to own it. Probably more along the $500-$600 range. That's including annual repairs. Plus as @turbanplanner pointed out, it allows me to get to a job that pays me more vs not having a car, taking transit, and most likely being stuck working a minimum wage, service job.
???

We don't own a car, take transit to work, and make many multiples of minimum wage. Having a car does not equal or guarantee a higher wage.

That said, being car-free works for where I live and work in the city, and is a choice. We have two kids at university out of town, so we rent cars (traditional and Turo). Being car-free won't work for everyone.

???

We don't own a car, take transit to work, and make many multiples of minimum wage. Having a car does not equal or guarantee a higher wage.

That said, being car-free works for where I live and work in the city, and is a choice. We have two kids at university out of town, so we rent cars (traditional and Turo). Being car-free won't work for everyone.
I live in Oakville, but work in Brampton. I could take transit, but it would add an hour to my travel time (one way) compared to driving. Losing two hours a day is not acceptable in my mind.

I can't move to Brampton because my rent would easily double. Negating any costs savings from not owning a car.

I live in Oakville, but work in Brampton. I could take transit, but it would add an hour to my travel time (one way) compared to driving. Losing two hours a day is not acceptable in my mind.
Given the topic of this thread I'd suggest you avoid the Gardiner in your commute for even more time savings!

Also, what is your time worth to you.

Photo from the CN Tower last night.

20240527_202810Gar.jpg

A toll or congestion charge would pretty much solve the biggest problems with the Gardiner. It would allow people who need their vehicle downtown to be economically productive to make that choice and not sit in traffic for an hour. If you don't, park it and find an alternative.
My husband says this often and thinks the money earned could go towards upkeep too. I thought that was part of the original intention behind the 407 as well.

Congestion charge addresses that. But even with a toll, people would flock to local roads at first, gum them up, and then decide to either pay the toll to move quickly, or find an alternative to driving.

Back