News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1K     1 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 384     0 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

One of the things we overlook when we (perhaps simplistically) run to the Netherlands for easy answers is...the Dutch did build Toronto-style suburbs, as did most other large cities. They are still there, but with different interfaces between urban, suburbs, and rural.
The Dutch have big roads and big trucks, but their supply chain does not allow as many big vehicles to penetrate the denser, central areas where road space is being reallocated to other non-auto modes of transport.
When we look to such places for inspiration, we need to keep an apples to apples focus....what they are building in urban areas may not be what exists in the Dutch “hinterland”.
The Dutch (and others) have the same problem we do....much of the suburban realm is too new, and not yet paid for....so changing it can’t happen for a generation or more.
We have to start thinking differently about busy roads like, for instance, lower Bayview and Mount Pleasant which we built with the intent of funnelling autos into the core...(something we may no longer want to do) versus, say, Finch or Sheppard.... where it may be 30 years before we have changed enough of the built form to support a “Dutch” thing.
We urgently need roads to be safer on streets like Finch - perhaps more urgently than in the downtown, if one reads the statistics - but the solution may need to be different.

- Paul

You're correct.

And here, let's take Scarborough as our example.

The main N-S streets are laid out roughly 1km apart; and by and large, have surplus capacity at most times of day.

Every other N-S road could easily accommodate cycle tracks, and reduced curb-to-curb distances allowing for shorter, safer pedestrian crossings with only the most marginal impacts on traffic. (some isolated exceptions apply).

The bigger challenge is the (typically) 6 lane E-W roads, particularly, south of the 401, where Kingston Rd, followed by Eglinton, Lawrence and Ellesmere are all 2km apart and are terrible for pedestrian and cycling safety and comfort.

To fix that will almost certainly require new bisecting collector/minor-arterial roads at 1km intervals between the big streets.

That is also what will facilitate intensification.

But its very expensive, and very time consuming.

Interim changes are 1/2 measures.

Curb lanes for transit/cycling; but maintain the curb-to-curb width.

Possibly removing the turning lanes in the middle of the roads (7th lane)

Select additional traffic lit crossings.

Obstructing unsafe crossings and turn movements with median barrier of some description.

This package of changes, both short and long term is very different than what downtown or the extended core requires which involves no new major streets to speak of; can accommodate a greater shift to pedestrians and cycling in the near-term.

Last edited:
Curb lanes for transit/cycling; but maintain the curb-to-curb width.

Possibly removing the turning lanes in the middle of the roads (7th lane)

Select additional traffic lit crossings.

I was in Copenhagen about this time last year and, more than anything with respect to their streetscapes, was struck by how pedestrian- and cyclist-friendly their major suburban arterials are. The ROWs you see in the pics below bear much similarity with many of our 6-lane arterials (reduced in the first case by two lanes for the raised cycle tracks), but they have better VZ infrastructure than most of Toronto's downtown roads -- the cycle tracks; tight curb radii; mid-crossing pedestrian refuges, etc.

You can (and people actually do) cycle all the way to and from the airport to the downtown core entirely on protected cycle tracks, largely on streetscapes that look like those below (once you get off the motorways). It's pretty amazing.

19FB4DBC-FF6A-468F-A163-D27CAA5EA667.jpeg
F2AB7D12-FDA1-4B1A-904C-1B670563F117.jpeg
5328E586-E01D-42A4-AC09-BD551429DCDC.jpeg

Ban Right Turns on Red

From link.

You’re stopped at a stoplight, waiting to turn right, looking left at the stream of traffic going by. Suddenly, you see a gap! You pull out quickly to join the flow – but did you look right first and check for someone crossing?

Priority #10 from #BuildTheVisionTO: Safe and Active Streets for All is to prioritize the safety of vulnerable road users by banning motor vehicle right turns on red. This practice creates a particularly dangerous environment, responsible for 13% of serious injuries and fatalities from walking-driving collisions in Toronto. Drivers filter through pedestrians who have a walk signal, while gauging the space available between cars traveling at full speed. This delicate dance relies entirely upon human behaviour to be executed safely. Eye contact with a driver might reassure someone walking that it is safe to cross. Or a person walking might see that the driver is looking the other way and about to turn, and might choose to walk behind the vehicle instead of in front of it.

Vision Zero does not rely on human behaviour to keep the roads safe, for the simple reason that humans make mistakes. The right-hand turn scenario is particularly difficult because the pedestrian has a green light telling them it’s ok to cross. A child might not understand the complexity of needing to double check anyways, a senior with reduced sight, hearing and movement might not notice the turning vehicle, and a blind person relying on the audible pedestrian signal has no way of knowing a vehicle is about to cross their path.

Since 2006, there have been 41 fatalities of pedestrians involving drivers turning right. Nearly a third of victims were 60 years old or older.

“Rights on red is a big issue for me,” says Daniella Levy-Pinto, a spokesperson for Walk Toronto who is legally blind. “I’ve lost count of the number of times drivers have sped to make their right turn as I start to cross, of course with the light. My dog has pulled me back.”

Where did this practice originate? Although it may seem commonplace to us in North America, where only a few cities like Montreal and New York ban right turns on red, we are actually out of step with much of the world. In Europe, most countries forbid it unless a specific signal or sign says otherwise, including Poland, Germany, Russia, the Netherlands, France, the Czech Republic and many others. The same is true for New Zealand, Australia, the UK, Ireland and Singapore for left turns on red, since they drive on the left-hand side of the road.

In the US, the move to permit turns on red was sparked by the OPEC oil crisis. The Energy Policy and Conservation Act in 1975 tied federal funds to a requirement that states permit the maneuver, and by 1980, every state had complied. Ontario followed a few years later, amending the Highway Traffic Act in 1984 to allow right turns after coming to a complete stop and yielding to pedestrians.

Following the change, a number of studies looked at the safety consequences. The Insurance Institute for Highway Safety found in the 1980s that collisions with people walking increased by 60% and with people cycling by 100%. Another study of four states in 1982 found increases in collisions involving right-turning vehicles and pedestrians ranging from 40% to 107%. Observations of drivers also revealed that over half failed to come to a complete stop before proceeding through the intersection.

Restricting these turn movements is a simple way to reduce conflicts between people walking and people driving. As a regulation, it’s in keeping with the goals of Vision Zero, by putting the onus of responsibility for safety where it belongs – on those who design the system.

I think this statement is in error. Always thought that Ontario allowed right turns after coming to a complete stop on a red light, even before 1984.
"Ontario followed a few years later, amending the Highway Traffic Act in 1984 to allow right turns after coming to a complete stop and yielding to pedestrians."
Anyways, practically very few come to a complete stop at a red light (or stop sign for that matter) before making a right turn. Most take it as a suggestion.

Last edited:
Ban Right Turns on Red

From link.

I think this statement is in error. Always thought that Ontario allowed right turns after coming to a complete stop on a red light.
"Ontario followed a few years later, amending the Highway Traffic Act in 1984 to allow right turns after coming to a complete stop and yielding to pedestrians."
Anyways, practically very few come to a complete stop at a red light (or stop sign for that matter) before making a right turn. Most take it as a suggestion.
Prepared to get honked by some angry impatient drivers if you stop too long. Some people violate the no right turn on red on purpose so they can get going.

I'm pretty sure a small portion of the monsters out there would run people down if there's no law against it. Some drivers are just terrible people

Prepared to get honked by some angry impatient drivers if you stop too long. Some people violate the no right turn on red on purpose so they can get going.

This is the heart of the problem. Pedestrian intentions at a red light are often ambiguous. The cautious motorist will stop, and proceed only when certain that those who are crossing are doing so and those not crossing are certain to remain on the curb. By that time, the cars behind will be honking. There is just too much time wasted, combined with peer pressure, so the motorist tries to "jump the gun" to get ahead of pedestrians.

I really think the solution has to be different. At intersections, "share the road" isn't a good solution. There should be "this is pedestrian time" and then there should be "this isn't pedestrian time". The idea of pedestrian gates gets ridiculed, but in my view it's pretty practical.

- Paul

I really think the solution has to be different. At intersections, "share the road" isn't a good solution. There should be "this is pedestrian time" and then there should be "this isn't pedestrian time". The idea of pedestrian gates gets ridiculed, but in my view it's pretty practical.
They already have in place an end for time for pedestrians when the hand starts flashing you aren't supposed to start crossing only complete crossing if you have already done so. Most people don't pay attention to that and keep going anyway because they see that they still have x amount of time to still cross

I think the way this is often handled in Europe is to have a phase for right turns matched with the left turn phase that tracks the same path, and all other times right turns are prohibited so that pedestrians & bikes are given uncontested priority. So you end up with a 4 phase intersection.

I think to make this work, you also need much more sophisticated traffic sensors. I think induction loops are pretty bad. With how cheap cameras are getting and how good AI is getting, it seems to me that a vision based system could work much better. It really makes it clear when you are waiting at a red light for 90 seconds with very light or no crosstraffic, then the lights change just as a cluster of cars is reaching the intersection. This rewards people for speeding to beat the light. This happens a lot at highway offramps in the evening...

Ban Right Turns on Red

From link.

I think this statement is in error. Always thought that Ontario allowed right turns after coming to a complete stop on a red light, even before 1984.

Your are correct. Right turns on a red have been legal in Ontario since as long as I have been driving, which is w-a-a-y before 1984. If it was illegal at some point in the past I have no knowledge.

Yes, right on red is pretty dangerous, at least in high traffic intersections. I feel like we could use a lot more roundabouts. Four way stops are totally asinine.

The advantage of all-way stop intersections is they can be created for the cost of a few signs out the store room to solve a perceived traffic flow problem. Roundabouts require construction and often, land acquisition, particularly in older neighbourhoods.

Roundabouts don't need to be big, particularly for low speed/low traffic intersections. Just a small mountable island in the middle. If you drive in France, you see tonnes of these, and they have some absurdly narrow streets in villages.

A generous sized one in Waterloo, ON

One in the UK.

They don't need to be big. They don't need to be expensive. You need a good hump in the middle to deter people from blowing straight through them, but mountable is good for emergency vehicles, etc.

The good thing about roundabouts is that streets don't need to fan out at intersections with accumulation lanes for left and right turning. Helps to leave space for protected bike lanes.

Roundabouts don't need to be big, particularly for low speed/low traffic intersections. Just a small mountable island in the middle. If you drive in France, you see tonnes of these, and they have some absurdly narrow streets in villages.

A generous sized one in Waterloo, ON

One in the UK.

They don't need to be big. They don't need to be expensive. You need a good hump in the middle to deter people from blowing straight through them, but mountable is good for emergency vehicles, etc.

The good thing about roundabouts is that streets don't need to fan out at intersections with accumulation lanes for left and right turning. Helps to leave space for protected bike lanes.

There's a small one on Windermere in Swansea, just south of Bloor West Village. Always wondered how it got built because it's pretty much a one-off. The only other one in Toronto that I can think of is on Wendell, a couple blocks south of the 401.

In North America they need to be bigger than in Europe because we have larger trucks and cars that need to be able to negotiate them. Plus adding one to existing streets isn't going to be easy to do.

Trucks can do just fine with mountable apron roundabouts. The absolute smallest intersections above would not accommodate a turning truck with any kind of intersection (small residential four way stops) and would have 'no trucks' signs.

Back