News   Aug 09, 2024
 1.1K     2 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 815     0 
News   Aug 09, 2024
 3.6K     3 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

Now, let's do the same with Jarvis Street...

201156-jarvis-south-carlton-1890s.jpg

201156-jarvis-1903.jpg

201156-jarvis-north-carlton-jan-1947.jpg

From link.

Others may have seen this Vision Zero interactive map but I just came across it.

Lots of info!

The more data the better!

The Toronto Police Services have a very helpful portal also. Having one that uses both sets of data would be desirable.... for instance the VZ web site does not let one query by type of roads, or look for things like crossing mid-block without adequate pedestrian crossing control. Or compare pedestrian incidents on roads with sidewalks to those on roads lacking sidewalks.

Hopefully the City will continue to improve the data presentation. It's certainly a good start.

- Paul

Others may have seen this Vision Zero interactive map but I just came across it.

Lots of info!
Almost all at intersections. It kind of shows how the intersections are the problem, and fiddling with stuff like cycle tracks only improves perception of safety perhaps but still leaves people vulnerable at intersections.

Yeah, the turbo-roundabout design makes a lot of sense. I have even seen a few 2 lane roundabouts here that incorporate a lot of the elements, but don't go all the way (lane dividers to discourage lane changing, etc.). There is one in Niagara at the end of the 406. You select the exit road before entering and in practice you never see people switching lanes in the roundabout. Could be more pedestrian & cyclist friendly though!

Yeah, the turbo-roundabout design makes a lot of sense. I have even seen a few 2 lane roundabouts here that incorporate a lot of the elements, but don't go all the way (lane dividers to discourage lane changing, etc.). There is one in Niagara at the end of the 406. You select the exit road before entering and in practice you never see people switching lanes in the roundabout. Could be more pedestrian & cyclist friendly though!

I've never really been able to figure out how a roundabout is pedestrian friendly it almost seems like it's worse for them as it could take twice as long to walk around it as it would to cross two streets.

Reactions: rbt
I've never really been able to figure out how a roundabout is pedestrian friendly it almost seems like it's worse for them as it could take twice as long to walk around it as it would to cross two streets.
They are not pedestrian friendly. That is one of their drawbacks. There are ways to mitigate, see video below for details. Briefly, it involves refuge islands, designing to roadway to enforce low speeds, having the correct yield rules and leaving space for a car to yield to cyclists/pedestrians without blocking the roundabout, optionally have speed tables for the pedestrian/cyclist crossings to further reduce speeds. The benefits are reduced accidents and accident severity, better traffic flow, fuel savings.

I'll be honest, I'm not convinced that the roundabout I showed in Niagara needs to be 2 lanes, but I don't drive it during rush hours. I think part of the reason they opted for a roundabout was to avoid people flying off the end of the highway at a high rate of speed. The traffic flows also requires a lot of effectively 'left turns'. It's also pretty big in diameter, I think partly motivated by higher design speed. It would probably be better/safe and more pedestrian friendly if it were tighter and had lower speeds.

Last edited:
yongeTOmorrow sent out emails stating Round Three of Consultation's have started, and they're recommending option 4C.

tZqflXXsk4FXVTcqz8qJCNiv-yeUUPnSr5B8QaeAxdb0DRxsHRjnQhrEPt3POIIN_2lcBpGoSJaZcxQxu0f8e1jyljMdo61i-z33GvXtAEABNMcYCidOclFSGap2OoH5woK3gbnHOXwy9_hw3UfklXO_3QCiHw=s0-d-e1-ft

Seems like they are trying to eliminate through traffic for vehicles while keeping local access. I'm a little surprised to see cycle tracks (but not between Shuter and Queen?) I thought they were recommending cycling facilities on Church instead.

I think it's a decent plan. It will be interesting to see what they mean by pedestrian priority. I think they need to be able to clear it for shuttle buses on short notice, so I can't see them doing a lot to make it much less like a roadway. Maybe different paving.

Seems like they are trying to eliminate through traffic for vehicles while keeping local access. I'm a little surprised to see cycle tracks (but not between Shuter and Queen?) I thought they were recommending cycling facilities on Church instead.

I think it's a decent plan. It will be interesting to see what they mean by pedestrian priority. I think they need to be able to clear it for shuttle buses on short notice, so I can't see them doing a lot to make it much less like a roadway. Maybe different paving.

No cycle tracks from Shuter to Queen.

They've only been added from Gerrard to College connecting 2 sets of bike lanes, and where there is a wider section of Yonge

Bike lanes on University are the primary alternative and have been implemented.

Bay st. may be considered at some point, as might Church north of Carlton. I'd be surprised to see them in the section with streetcar tracks.

Thank you for the extracted renders.

I’m absolutely willing to be proven wrong (and acknowledge that these plans are drawn up by people with more context than me), but what I find surprising are the ‘mode switches’. From one-way-local to pedestrian-priority to one-way-local and then back...

I can totally imagine drivers getting confused and continue driving into the pedestrian-priority areas.

Back