News   May 01, 2024
 1.3K     1 
News   May 01, 2024
 366     0 
News   May 01, 2024
 368     0 

Road Safety & Vision Zero Plan

Friends, I regularly run-commute from Sunnybrook to Danforth/Coxwell area. I wear fluorescent clothes, and have coloured strobe lights (green on front and red on back) on my backpack/clothes. I shoulder check *every* intersection,(because there's always some automobile driver that is trying to turn right without stopping, contrary to the STOP sign). Probably 2-3 times per day, I have to take evasive action while running with the right-of-way because a driver chooses to ignore the rules of the road.

Sure, anecdotes ≠ evidence, but there is a problem, and I assure you, it is not the pedestrians and many cyclists (yes, not having lights/reflectors is a problem, as is blatantly ignoring signals).

Friends, I regularly run-commute from Sunnybrook to Danforth/Coxwell area. I wear fluorescent clothes, and have coloured strobe lights (green on front and red on back) on my backpack/clothes. I shoulder check *every* intersection,(because there's always some automobile driver that is trying to turn right without stopping, contrary to the STOP sign). Probably 2-3 times per day, I have to take evasive action while running with the right-of-way because a driver chooses to ignore the rules of the road.

Sure, anecdotes ≠ evidence, but there is a problem, and I assure you, it is not the pedestrians and many cyclists (yes, not having lights/reflectors is a problem, as is blatantly ignoring signals).

There is a problem, yes, but we need to hit it from all sides, as there are root causes on all sides... but somehow we always digress into arguments about the other guy. I wish we could get past that.

No lights/reflectors and dark clothing does erode drivers' belief that they hold a key accountability themselves. With lights and higher vis, the cyclist or pedestrian is something I need to be careful about. No lights? Just an inconvenience I wish would get out of the way.

- Paul

There is a problem, yes, but we need to hit it from all sides, as there are root causes on all sides... but somehow we always digress into arguments about the other guy. I wish we could get past that.

No lights/reflectors and dark clothing does erode drivers' belief that they hold a key accountability themselves. With lights and higher vis, the cyclist or pedestrian is something I need to be careful about. No lights? Just an inconvenience I wish would get out of the way.

- Paul
The trouble is that drivers have less empathy for cyclists with more protective gear. Hi vis was the most dehumanizing piece of safety gear.

The trouble is that drivers have less empathy for cyclists with more protective gear. Hi vis was the most dehumanizing piece of safety gear.

^That article mentions full lycra - I can buy that part of the equation, in that cyclists who wear conspicuously high end gear get up peoples' noses - but I'm not sure that is true of more generic hi viz gear, which is pretty ubiquitous these days. (Or maybe I spend too much time in places where people are wearing same?)

Certainly, drivers will (wrongly) assume that they have right of way over people wearing hi-viz on the presumption that these are road workers or construction types. But I see people walking kids to school or pushing strollers in hi-viz.

I would not generalise from visibility gear to merely displaying a light. It's very helpful to see a lit bicycle up ahead while one is able to anticipate and steer clear. The light is more indicative of following the rules of the road.

But certainly, attitudes are all over the map here.

- Paul

Already being done here, but not systematically, in full, just yet.

But that's being worked on; you'll see more of these done next year in Toronto, and with any luck, many more after that.

There's still some work on refining designs/standards/construction methodology as well as operations and maintenance.
Unfortunately, actually implementing Vision Zero in Toronto is not standard nor routine. Asked my councillor for raised crossings or raised intersections along Emmett Avenue and Buttonwood Avenue, located near West Park Healthcare Centre (which provides specialized rehabilitative and complex care after a life‐altering illness or injury such as lung disease, amputation, stroke, and traumatic musculoskeletal injuries). Got a reply that included "Also, the City generally requires a petition to be submitted for any traffic calming requests."

Why doesn't the city do Vision Zero by default in residential areas? Why unless there is a petition? Should be by default. Especially around hospitals, seniors residents, schools, and parks.

Last edited:
Unfortunately, actually implementing Vision Zero in Toronto is not standard nor routine. Asked my councillor for raised crossings or raised intersections along Emmett Avenue and Buttonwood Avenue, located near West Park Healthcare Centre (which provides specialized rehabilitative and complex care after a life‐altering illness or injury such as lung disease, amputation, stroke, and traumatic musculoskeletal injuries). Got a reply that included "Also, the City generally requires a petition to be submitted for any traffic calming requests."

They city does not do Vision Zero by default in residential areas, unless there is a petition. Should be by default. Especially around hospitals, seniors residents, schools, and parks.

The above is no longer true.

The City adopted a revised policy last month:

1701460191340.png

New policy is here:

From the above:

1701460309412.png

1701460333233.png

1701460359724.png

1701460392137.png

1701460412870.png

1701460439478.png

For further clarity, raised crosswalks do not require polls either.

The above is no longer true.

The City adopted a revised policy last month:

View attachment 524225

New policy is here:

From the above:

View attachment 524228
View attachment 524229

View attachment 524230
View attachment 524231
View attachment 524232

View attachment 524233

For further clarity, raised crosswalks do not require polls either.
Too bad my ward councillor (Frances Nunziata) didn't get the memo.

Too bad my ward councillor (Frances Nunziata) didn't get the memo.

I know its taxing, but write a second email, and this time, include the info indicating that polling data is not required.

Alternatively, by-pass that office and go to the Vision Zero staff; use the words in the policy 'vulnerable population' in reference to your desire for improvements near the health centre.

So much better for avoiding winter slush too.
Would like to see the city clear the intersection corners and transit stops of the snow windrows.

Currently, pedestrians get a lower priority than the automobile. The Gardiner & Don Valley gets the plowing and salting when 2 cm of the white stuff falls. The intersection corners get delayed, and delayed, and delayed, until the sun melts it or spring comes. Sometimes, if no snow falls after a couple weeks, they come around and clear the corners.

Reactions: rbt

Back