News   May 09, 2024
 735     1 
News   May 09, 2024
 520     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 883     1 

Riverdale

Thank heavens - more parking! Just what this neighbourhood needs.
The gondola's annual ridership forecast is between 200k and 500k, which means there will be a lot of pressure for more parking in the immediate vicinity of Broadview and Danforth.

I would think/hope that most would TTC it to Broadview? I think this is a rather interesting idea...the gondola I mean. I'm sure there would be a lot of concern re the towers required however. Where would they go? On another note...there sure are a lot of vacant big spaces on the Danforth. Does anyone know what's in 'store' for some of the spaces?

The plaza at 842 Gerrard Street East (NW corner with Carlaw) is being renovated to accommodate a daycare centre. The portion of the plaza with the Real Jerk looks good, but the remainder of the plaza was mostly vacant and looking crappy (formerly occupied by smoke-filled Rose Donut, which couldn't survive in face of new smoking rules, and a few marginal medical offices). That might explain why they were ripping up the parking lot in the spring - the site used to be a gas station, and some environmental testing/work might have been needed before a sensitive use like a daycare could be permitted.

According to the City's Building Permit database, there will be a new playground area on the roof and a new exterior entrance area in part of existing parking lot. The daycare could be a nice addition to this corner.
View attachment 53987

Well, the daycare centre is now closed. According to that article, the for-profit daycare was operating without a license with 23 children on Dec. 11 again on Feb. 8 with 37 children on-site, the Province issued a compliance order to close. On Feb. 18, the Ministry rejected the centre’s license application.

Kefi lounge is now Fantasia bouzouki lounge, opening night on Friday, no idea what the difference is.

Their website says it's turning into an AAA Bar that will include a secret Mr. Ciao's menu.
I believe they were always owned by AAA, so I guess they just see more value in going with the A-brand, so to speak. I did enjoy their unique pizzas though, so glad to hear they will be still available as secret menu items.

So, while the state of the law is in flux,* another marijuana dispensary has opened on the Danforth, in the old Trove location near the intersection of Chester and Danforth, on the south side of the street.

Somewhat related,** a nice-looking chocolate shop named Avoca has opened on Hampton, just off the Danforth (adjacent to the Second Cup), where there was formerly a Remax real estate office (and a juice bar before that). They have removed the old shack-like structure which protruded towards the sidewalk, opening up what will presumably be a nice patio in warmer weather.

* The law isn't really in flux. It's just being flouted while everyone waits to see what will happen.
** Given that pot gives you the munchies.

Personally, I am not opposed to well-run and properly administered (if only quasi-legal) weed shops -- and I am stunned how many are around -- on the Danforth. They're potentially good for business. Not only do they attract people to the area but they then send them into the bakeries, gyro shops, restaurants, and, naturally, the Big Carrot in search of chips, chocolate, cookies, Chinese, whatever. I know doctors, lawyers, bankers and other "respectable" middle class types who buy edibles on the Danforth and I do not see them as threatening the hood.

What I **DO** worry about is any potential threat they may get from organized crime trying to muscle in. Yes, as we know, we already have organized crime on the strip -- but that bunch has an investment in the area in terms of real estate and business. An outside gang (like the Hell's) would cause problems.

I have no problem with marijuana either. My big concern with the new crop of dispensaries is twofold:

1. Right now these dispensaries are operating on the fringes of the law (as I understand it), and are being tolerated largely because everyone expects the law to change. However, any new laws and regulations, once established, could render these dispensaries clearly illegal. For example, the current government at Queen's Park has speculated that it wants to limit pot sales to the LCBO. From a Danforth/neighbourhood perspective, I would hate to see a bunch of empty storefronts (more empty storefronts) appear overnight.
  2. The dispensaries are all kind of crappy looking. I imagine that is partially a factor of the questionable legality of all of their operations (who is going to invest on nice renovations and attractive storefronts when one might get shut down tomorrow). If the law is changed such that these dispensaries can continue, maybe we'll see nicer, more welcoming facilities. But right now they're hardly a positive contribution to the streetscape - they mostly have all the charm of a cheque cashing place.

I agree with both your points. But I wonder if those storefronts -- how many are there? two? three? -- would have been rented now. I am also curious about the landlords who did rent to them and how much rent they are paying, and can afford.

Back