News   Apr 19, 2024
 652     2 
News   Apr 19, 2024
 1K     3 

Riverdale

Toronto public school destroyed by fire in 2019 will reopen in 2022

540 Jones Ave.

Sept 30, 2020

It’s been more than a year since the Jones Avenue Public School site was shut down after fire tore through the building.

But it will be a while longer before the Toronto District School Board is able to reinstate the pre-existing Adult Learning Centre and Elementary School Classroom Space.

The school has been closed for remediation and reconstruction since May 2019 after a four-alarm fire forced the closure. No one was injured in the fire but a number of roofing workers were rescued.

The fire forced the closure of the school and temporary relocation of about 200 students and various adult programs.

JUST THE FACTS

• Work first included repair and remediation of structural fire and water damage.

• Safe removal of interior finishes, systems and assemblies related to fire and water damage is "largely complete."

• TDSB anticipates a reopening of the school in January 2022.

• Capacity will include 10 classrooms and approximately 200 students; adult English as a Second Language Classes; Enhanced Language Training and the Essential Skills Upgrading Program.

• Students will continue attending Wandering Spirit School at 16 Phin Ave. until reopening.

This project doesn't have its own thread as yet; so I'll just park this here.

TDSB is set to approve the construction tender for rebuilding the Elementary School/Adult Learning Centre.

A report went to the most recent TDSB Finance Ctte.

Of note, construction to start July 2021:

1620746246688.png

Also, they're short a bit of money, which they are hoping the province might cover.

1620746283343.png

Taste of the Danforth cancelled for the second year.

Yes, locals hate it, but it's a life raft for a lot of Greek restaurants who are barely hanging on.
Not ALL the locals hate it. Just those unfortunate enough to live within three blocks of it. But they should have considered that when paying $1M++ for their semis. The Danforth -- and that includes the Taste of the Danforth -- helped make their neighbourhood the hot property that it is. This ain't Oakville, kids.

I can remember the very first Taste, before they shut down the street. I have never missed a single one, if only to take a stroll in the afternoon before it gets nuts.

My only criticism is that there is very little diversity now despite the influc of non-Greek restaurants. Too many establishments stopped participating. It's all souvlaki souvlaki souvlaki, at least that's what it seems to me.

Not ALL the locals hate it. Just those unfortunate enough to live within three blocks of it. But they should have considered that when paying $1M++ for their semis. The Danforth -- and that includes the Taste of the Danforth -- helped make their neighbourhood the hot property that it is. This ain't Oakville, kids.

I can remember the very first Taste, before they shut down the street. I have never missed a single one, if only to take a stroll in the afternoon before it gets nuts.

My only criticism is that there is very little diversity now despite the influc of non-Greek restaurants. Too many establishments stopped participating. It's all souvlaki souvlaki souvlaki, at least that's what it seems to me.

Good points. I always felt like they should extend ToD east towards Greenwood or Coxwell. One, to help spread out the crowds, and two, to embrace the mishmash of Middle Eastern, Ethiopian and Italian joints.

Good points. I always felt like they should extend ToD east towards Greenwood or Coxwell. One, to help spread out the crowds, and two, to embrace the mishmash of Middle Eastern, Ethiopian and Italian joints.
Yes, agreed! But I think Taste is controlled by the https://greektowntoronto.com and only goes from Jones to Chester. I could be wrong.

Yes, agreed! But I think Taste is controlled by the https://greektowntoronto.com and only goes from Jones to Chester. I could be wrong.

Its generally run to Broadview in the past with the cooperation of the BIA than manages Chester to Broadview.

As such, I don't see why it would be an inherent challenge to cooperate w/the BIA to the east, which runs all the way to Westlake (close to Main Street)

Though, I'm not sure it makes sense to diffuse the event too far.

Other ways of managing the load on the area would be to incorporate parts of Broadview and Pape; and possibly make use of one or more of the Green P lots.

To get people on to transit, boarding should be free at any of the stations that serve the event.

Last edited:
Mezes located at 456 Danforth is renovating the former Pappa's Grill space at Arundel with plans to open later this summer. This is great news, Mezes will do well with the new patio.

Few tidbits:
- Former Old Nick location at Danforth/Broadview now has a sign for Mandy's Bistro and based off some show listings appears to be opening by mid-November. More info on Instagram and other places, excited for this opening!

- Burger King's sign has gone up where the old McDonald's was across the street.

- Former New York Cafe and sort-of Big Munch Grill (check their Google reviews, eeks) now has a sign up for the "New Yorker". Also some real estate listings are up for the restaurant so... *shrugs*

There's a report heading to next week's Infrastructure and Environment Ctte concerning the top of the slope of Riverdale Park East.

The slope is in poor condition due to inadequate sidewalk capacity, tramping of grass resulting from that and from tobogganing when the ground is not fully covered by snow; there are additional issues due to erosion.

From Streetview a bit of a sense of the current state:

1634661535938.png

You can obviously see warn away grass, but what may be less visible at first blush, is that there is a meaningful, ankle-twisting drop off the side of the sidewalk in many sections, you can get a clearer hint by looking at the front
of the bench pad in this picture, and realize that the ground was once level with the front of that concrete.

The City doesn't have any detailed design done yet......

The report proposes to figure that out over the next two years, then aim constructing a solution in 2024.

The ostensible reason for the delay is the on-going Toronto Water work through 2022, and then TTC track work in 2023.

I'm not sure I buy that.

But either way, at least some interim action should be taken, just for public safety.

Report here: https://www.toronto.ca/legdocs/mmis/2021/ie/bgrd/backgroundfile-171739.pdf

I think Palace Restaurant (across from Pape Station) is or will be closing permanently too

Yea, that's a shame. I just saw the For Lease signs. The Palace was one of the oldest running Greek restaurants in Greektown. The mother was still working the kitchen until the end. They had great lamb, and probably the best wine selection of any Greek joint in the area.

Back