News   Jul 15, 2024
 234     0 
News   Jul 15, 2024
 380     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.9K     1 

Riverdale

Gotta say, I was wondering it was gonna be a money-laundering operation.

Ha, ha.

How crowded was it, if at all?

It was relatively busy. Friday evening. They only had one floor open, mind you. We ate fairly that evening (6 p.m.), and when we arrived we were only the second table seated for dinner. But the front of the room was quite busy with people having drinks - several dozen people. As the evening progressed, most of the other tables filled up.

I was with two other people who ordered the roast chicken for two. It took awhile for the chicken, but not unreasonably so (and we hadn't said anything - we were having a pleasant time), but they comped the chicken and kept apologizing.

It's getting good reviews (at least the ones I have seen).

I went on a Saturday night (I think) right after they opened. The space is pretty cavernous and was fairly empty when we went; I can see it being hard to fill up both floors regularly but we'll see. It's a shame that passers-by on the sidewalk can't see inside the restaurant, but that does also lend an air of exclusivity to the place. The food was very good, but for me it's too expensive to go back regularly. If that patio does open I will definitely check it out!

I went on a Saturday night (I think) right after they opened. The space is pretty cavernous and was fairly empty when we went; I can see it being hard to fill up both floors regularly but we'll see. It's a shame that passers-by on the sidewalk can't see inside the restaurant, but that does also lend an air of exclusivity to the place. The food was very good, but for me it's too expensive to go back regularly. If that patio does open I will definitely check it out!

I don't know if there's an elevator. If not, that makes it off limits to a lot of people.

I can't shake the feeling that it was born to fail. Don't get me wrong. I love fine food, imaginative decor, etc. and loathe the crowds, gridlock and uber-hipsterness of the King West corridor and even the Distillery District. I welcome this kind of place. I love Lolita's Lust. (And I mourn Kritamos.) But something is not quite right here. Maybe it's just ahead of its time? Maybe it was just a bad business decision based on how Globe succeeded? I hope I am wrong.

ETA: I added the Local Company as a "success" but, frankly, I wonder about that place. Is it still open?

ETA 2: Oh. http://www.bar-oak.com/

Last edited:
There is an elevator. The hostess at a desk on the ground level came upstairs with us in the lift.

It might fail. It's a big space/big investment. Fact that it is on upper floors, and has a very small footprint on the ground floor, might significantly reduce their rent - but still. If it fails, I suspect that it will be because people in the neighbourhood wanting to spend that much $ on a meal will want to travel to King West or the Distillery District, etc., rather than spending that kind of money at Pape and Danforth. Factors that might help it succeed - the fact that they have two levels will help them accommodate events (rehearsal dinners, corporate functions, etc.) quite handily. Plus the bar area (with great views) looks like it is succeeding in getting people out for drinks (albeit from the impressions I had from my one visit), without being cheesy like the gross Local/BarOak (or whatever it calls itself these days).

I too love Lolita's Lust, but I also have enjoyed the Globe each and every time we've gone. Maybe I've been lucky? I don't think of the Globe as being a "scene".

Thanks for that info. I have wanted to arrange a family get together there but two members of my family couldn't handle any stairs.

I think I may have phrased my last comment badly. I have nothing against the Globe. I agree it's not a scene. My point was that, perhaps the Forth's investors thought, seeing how the Globe has survived 10-plus years, maybe the Forth would succeed?

Stixx Flare Kitchen is done, after only a few months. Windows papered over, with signs saying "exciting new concept coming soon".

I grabbed take-out there a couple times. Not bad, but it was empty both times.

Stixx Flare Kitchen is done, after only a few months. Windows papered over, with signs saying "exciting new concept coming soon".

I grabbed take-out there a couple times. Not bad, but it was empty both times.

I would love a really good vegan or vegetarian restaurant. Or maybe one of those Churrasqueira chicken places.

I would actually prefer something other than another restaurant, but I know that's unlikely...

Probably unlikely. It appears as if the same owners, realizing that the Stixx concept didn't seem to be going anywhere, are going to try a different food concept.

All that equipment, plumbing, exhaust system too. I never went into Stixx but I assume they maintained a lot of the set up of Bamboo, its predecessor.

Back in the day, I used to wish for certain things on the Danforth. A good running shoe place, for example. But now, we pretty much have everything short of big box stores (except for Dollarama which i consider big boxish) and I don't want to see those or any more chain restos or another burger place.

On another note, I passed Tilde, that new taco place at 699, and it was dead. I think we will give it a try this weekend.

Anyone know what's happening with Pape Home Hardware? Home Hardware sign is gone, and there is a sign on the door promoting a "blow-out" sale. Seems to still be full of merchandise, as best as I could tell looking through the window (after hours). Might be nothing. Just worried about it since CTExpress opened two blocks over.

Last edited:
Anyone know what's happening with Pape Home Hardware? Home Hardware sign is gone, and there is a sign on the door promoting a "blow-out" sale. Seems to still be full of merchandise, as best as I could tell looking through the window (after hours). Might be nothing. Just worried about it since CTExpress opened two blocks over.

There is a banner now across the top saying "Retirement Sale"..which probably means that it is closing but I would hope that the owner could have found someone to take over the store..its been there for decades...I wonder what will replace it?

Home Hardware might have a new franchisee to take over the spot.

ETA: Not likely. The Pape location has now been removed from the store locator on the Home Hardware website.

Last edited:

Back