News   Aug 13, 2024
 854     1 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 469     0 
News   Aug 13, 2024
 680     0 

Riverdale

The Court Jester is moving into the Zorba's space. My understanding is that they will be opening both a pub and a deli but I'm not sure if those plans are immediate. The Jester opened on the Danforth just as I moved into the area in Nov 1995 so it's been at that same location for almost 19 years!

A deli and pub in the one location (Zorba's), or keeping both locations?

Thought of Ex-Montreal Girl yesterday. A woman, who I don't think I have ever met, stopped me on Carlaw, just north of Danforth, to ask "what's with all the handicapped permits?" I started to indicate that I thought that the cars with disabled permits all seemed to be associated with Ice/Kahlua/Gencor lounge, when she launched into a speech about how she was well aware of who the perpetrators were, how they abused the system, how the City does nothing and directs people who complain to the Province. She said it was also a problem on Gough, where the church parishioners run to see "Dr. Permit". She was going to follow up with Tabuns. Then she suggested that the people abusing the permits were possibly affiliated with the "thugs who run the BIA". She was quite incensed, not unjustly given the situation. The thugs comment made me think of Ex-Montreal Girl. What exactly is the situation with the BIA?

Hah. That was NOT me -- although I sure get riled up about the situation myself.

It is no secret that there is a Danforth underworld. The Globe wrote about it a few years ago.
http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...convictions-in-greece/article591908/?page=all

The guy who was the focus of the story is also head of the Greektown BIA.
http://www.greektowntoronto.com/about.php

He drives a ginormous black BMW and has a disabled permit. Lots of other luxury cars parked near the offices (above 699/701 Danforth which this guy owns) and they also have permits. Do the math. (Yeah, some of them may be local doctors who have offices in the area and give themselves permits or trade them or whatever but it's hard to miss the shenanigans if you walk the area as often as I do.)

On another note, I tried calling Kritamos today to make a reservation but their phone is out of order. I hope it hasn't closed.

ETA: I'd love to know who Dr. Permit is.

simple google search came up with the following:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news...ssmans-criminal-past-in-greece/article592672/

City looking at businessman's criminal past in Greece

City staff say they are seeking legal and governance advice this week to determine whether to act on revelations about the chairman of a local BIA’s criminal record in Greece.

The Globe and Mail reported Saturday that Constantine Voidonicolas, chairman of the GreekTown on the Danforth BIA (Business Improvement Area), was convicted of three gun-related charges by an Athens court in 2004. He fired on four construction workers during an argument outside his home, according to Greek court documents. Mr. Voidonicolas told The Globe that he was protecting his wife and children.

“Quite frankly, I don’t know what the city can or should do, depending upon how the facts turn out. So we are reviewing the situation,†said Mike Williams, general manager of the city’s economic development and culture division, which oversees Toronto’s 72 BIAs.

BIA board members are selected by business and property owners and approved by local community councils, which are committees of city council.

“We need some advice on governance with regard to city boards and we need some legal input.â€

The GreekTown on the Danforth BIA organizes Toronto’s popular Taste of the Danforth, an annual festival celebrating Greek culture that attracts hundreds of thousands of participants each year.

At an emergency BIA board meeting Monday night, 10 members voted to support Mr. Voidonicolas in his role as chairman while one member abstained, Mr. Voidonicolas’s lawyer, Peter Brauti, said.

Mr. Brauti said Mr. Voidonicolas called for Monday night’s vote because he was concerned that the revelations about his criminal past might tarnish the image of the BIA.

At the meeting, Mr. Voidonicolas encouraged the other board members to speak freely, and he assured them that he “wouldn’t be offended in any way,†Mr. Brauti said.

Mr. Brauti added that no one from the city had contacted his client. “His only comment was that the organization runs extremely smoothly and so he’s not sure why there would be any kind of issue. The board is happy and the community’s happy.â€

Aris Sideratos, who runs Skyway Tours, a travel agency based in Toronto, said Mr. Voidonicolas’s history in Greece is a personal matter and doesn’t affect his work at the BIA.

“As a BIA member, as a BIA chair, this man has been great. The BIA has never been in better shape than it is now, we have a huge financial surplus, and absolutely no financial corruption,†Mr. Sideratos said.

Two store owners interviewed by The Globe declined to comment publicly because of the nature of the allegations against Mr. Voidonicolas.

Mr. Voidonicolas was born in Greece, but obtained Canadian citizenship and established himself in Toronto’s GreekTown community, buying and leasing commercial buildings.

After the shooting incident outside his Athens home in 1999, Mr. Voidonicolas fled to Canada. He was later sentenced in absentia to 42 months in prison for “illegal gun carrying,†“illegal gun use†and “illegal gun possession.†Greek court records indicate he has also been convicted of offences related to social-security fraud and unpaid taxes, though Mr. Voidonicolas has denied these convictions occurred. Mr. Voidonicolas is still wanted by Greek authorities. A Greek police officer who acts as a liaison with Interpol, the agency that co-ordinates international arrest warrants, confirmed there is a warrant for Mr. Voidonicolas and that Canadian authorities are aware of it.

After last year’s festival, the GreekTown BIA donated over $93,000 to local charities, said Faiza Ansari, the BIA’s director of operations. The Toronto East General Hospital received almost half of that money, and other charities included the Hellenic Homes for the Aged, and the Greek Community of Toronto. Ms. Ansari said it’s up to the board to decide where it will donate money raised from this year’s festival.

This year’s Taste of the Danforth festival received a grant of $60,000 from the province’s Celebrate Ontario fund.

Jim Karygiannis, Liberal MP for Scarborough-Agincourt and the party’s multiculturalism critic, attended Taste of the Danforth this year, where he stopped to pose for a photograph with Mr. Voidonicolis and other politicians.

“The fact that the chairman of the GreekTown BIA has difficulties is unfortunate, but that in no way, shape or form reflects on what happened that weekend and the two million people that visited,†Mr. Karygiannis said.

“We were not aware of any difficulties [for Mr. Voidonicolas] and if there’s any difficulties then it’s for the law to deal with and the authority of the government of Canada,†he said.

Thought of Ex-Montreal Girl yesterday. A woman, who I don't think I have ever met, stopped me on Carlaw, just north of Danforth, to ask "what's with all the handicapped permits?" I started to indicate that I thought that the cars with disabled permits all seemed to be associated with Ice/Kahlua/Gencor lounge, when she launched into a speech about how she was well aware of who the perpetrators were, how they abused the system, how the City does nothing and directs people who complain to the Province. She said it was also a problem on Gough, where the church parishioners run to see "Dr. Permit". She was going to follow up with Tabuns. Then she suggested that the people abusing the permits were possibly affiliated with the "thugs who run the BIA". She was quite insensced, not unjustly given the situation. The thugs comment made me think of Ex-Montreal Girl. What exactly is the situation with the BIA?

Hah. That was NOT me -- although I sure get riled up about the situation myself.

On another note, I tried calling Kritamos today to make a reservation but their phone is out of order. I hope it hasn't closed.

Ha. Didn't think you were her. The thugs comment Maeve me think of you given your past comments.

Bad news, I think, about Kritamos. See top comment here:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restauran...ish_House_and_Rotisserie-Toronto_Ontario.html

Lovely place, but they rarely seemed busy.

Ha. Didn't think you were her. The thugs comment Maeve me think of you given your past comments.

Bad news, I think, about Kritamos. See top comment here:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/Restauran...ish_House_and_Rotisserie-Toronto_Ontario.html

Lovely place, but they rarely seemed busy.

I suspected it wouldn't last. The owner had big ambitions menu-wise. But the place had three strikes against it. One, the price point. Two, no patio. Three, not meat and potatoes enough.

In short, what I call Danforth Greek Restaurant Disease. The hordes who descend on the strip want cheap meat on a stick served al fresco.

Globe Bistro and Allen's, both relatively expensive, survive because they're on the Rosedale side of the strip. Also, Allen's has a great patio and Globe has a certain je-ne-sais-quoi. (I personally am not keen on it.)

Anyway, as I outlined in the Caplansky's thread, this is why I hate Toronto Greek resto culture. It's like Taste of the Danforth all year round, but with table service.

A deli and pub in the one location (Zorba's), or keeping both locations?

They're closing the current location. I've actually never been into Zorba's but supposedly it's a big two-storey space.

It says on their Facebook page that they will moving in the fall.

Last edited:
They're closing the current location. I've actually never been into Zorba's but supposedly it's a big two-storey space.

It says on their Facebook page that they will moving in the fall.

Zorba's main floor is huge enough. It has a basement because I'd see the chef go up and down with supplies. As for a second floor, I assume it is residential.

The old Suckers candy store, on the north side between Corso Shoes and Greek City, which has been vacant for the better part of the year, about to reopen as what appears to be a jewellery store. I think the name is Pretty Things.

There was a bit of a discussion earlier this year on this thread about a potential rooftop patio on The Forth, since they seemed to be doing some construction work up there. But no rooftop patio materialized, and there was no indication of a patio the one time I went for dinner there (summary: it was really good). According to this article in today's Star, the rooftop patio does exist, and will open next year:

http://www.thestar.com/life/food_wi...ts_making_a_comeback_in_downtown_toronto.html

(assuming The Forth is still in operation next year)

There was a bit of a discussion earlier this year on this thread about a potential rooftop patio on The Forth, since they seemed to be doing some construction work up there. But no rooftop patio materialized, and there was no indication of a patio the one time I went for dinner there (summary: it was really good). According to this article in today's Star, the rooftop patio does exist, and will open next year:

http://www.thestar.com/life/food_wi...ts_making_a_comeback_in_downtown_toronto.html

(assuming The Forth is still in operation next year)

How crowded was it, if at all? I haven't heard any buzz or gotten any word-of-mouth from friends and/or neighbours. You're the first person I "know" who has been. Glad to hear it was good. Gotta say, I was wondering it was gonna be a money-laundering operation.

Back