News   Jun 28, 2024
 1.9K     3 
News   Jun 28, 2024
 679     1 

Riverdale

This may interest some Riverdale folks,
Farm (Zoo) entrance on Winchester:

TNZooatWinchester1928.jpg

What happened there? It looks like the streetscape devolved from the sophistication of early twentieth century Toronto to early nineteenth century Toronto. It went from having an intricate metal, brick, and stone fence to a basic picket fence, and from a brick building with a greenhouse to some rustic wooden dwelling.

Presumably part of the "dee-Zoo-ification" of the Zoo site in the 70s--remember that the Riverdale Zoo was stigmatized for its "inhumane" conditions, whereas the Farm substituted a theme-park Rural Ontario organicism, complete with the "Napier Simpson" replica farmhouse...

Heard from a very reliable source at the LCBO that the old Albany Medical Clinic building at Danforth and Player will be razed for a new LCBO, with the smaller store across the street shutting down.

He couldn't relay anything more, but if the stores at Davisville and King/Bathurst are any indication, it will likely be one story.

Heard from a very reliable source at the LCBO that the old Albany Medical Clinic building at Danforth and Player will be razed for a new LCBO, with the smaller store across the street shutting down.

He couldn't relay anything more, but if the stores at Davisville and King/Bathurst are any indication, it will likely be one story.

it's actually at the corner of Ellerbeck, not Playter.
that's going to be a real shame ... the building and parking lot are quite large to be used only for 1s.
i thought a mid-rise from 5-10s would be nice in its' place.

And if said stores are any indication, it'll likely be a placeholder for future intensification. So, don't be surprised if "a mid-rise from 5-10s" actually does come sooner than ya think...

The lawn bowling club house (a designated heritage structure) at its new location on Broadview, just north of the Don Jail and Bridgepoint hospital.

Landscaping has been finished, including the concrete planters along the wheelchair ramps and staircases and sodding over the new sewers down the hill towards the new hospital. Still some fencing up while they try to keep the grass from dying (last night's rain will go a long way!)

This will be a very nice little addition to the park.

It seems as if they've been watering that grass continually for weeks. Today I noticed that they've removed the fence. Perhaps the usual Canada Day thingy is happening in the park.

just heard that the toyota dealership lot by the ninety was sold. the recall building lot was for sale earlier in the year... anyone have any info on this?

Toyota moving to TFS

just heard that the toyota dealership lot by the ninety was sold. the recall building lot was for sale earlier in the year... anyone have any info on this?

When I got our latest oil change at the new Hyundai location at Broadview & Eastern, the manager mentioned that it was a short-term site as the conditions of the dealership grant was a working location had to be in place within x months. The long-term plan was to consolidate with Toyota on the ex-TFS lot.

I had to laugh. All those people who killed the mixed-use residential, then the Wal-Mart power center, are going to get their 'good jobs' -- a car dealership campus! So, you'll get FEWER jobs (although higher paying), and MORE cars, in a deeply unattractive setting. Councillor Paula must be killing herself (although I'm sure she never thinks these things are ever her fault.)

I don't know what the old Toyota lot will feature, but my bet is a Streetcar condo...

When I got our latest oil change at the new Hyundai location at Broadview & Eastern, the manager mentioned that it was a short-term site as the conditions of the dealership grant was a working location had to be in place within x months. The long-term plan was to consolidate with Toyota on the ex-TFS lot.

I had to laugh. All those people who killed the mixed-use residential, then the Wal-Mart power center, are going to get their 'good jobs' -- a car dealership campus! So, you'll get FEWER jobs (although higher paying), and MORE cars, in a deeply unattractive setting. Councillor Paula must be killing herself (although I'm sure she never thinks these things are ever her fault.)

I don't know what the old Toyota lot will feature, but my bet is a Streetcar condo...

Maybe they'll kill the car dealership campus, too.

They still have to build the dealerships. Those campuses are often built in large stages like suburban plazas.

I wouldn't put it past the crew that's killed all the other proposals for this site, without offering a positive alternative. However, you'd think they'd get tired of it, at some point. Or, and this is a radical thought, drum up a proposal they would be happy to support, but would be a positive investment return to the owners.

Back