News   Jul 15, 2024
 127     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Restaurants/Coffee Shops - St. Lawrence/King East

120 Front St. East

To update some earlier conversations, two new businesses are opening on the ground floor of 120 Front St East (that's the northeast corner of Front St. and George, just east of Jarvis, with the Rogers Video).

A new Subway franchise is replacing the defunct Mr. Sub. I don't know why, but that kind of makes me laugh, especially since when the Mr. Sub was first shuttered the old owner taped sarcastic handwritten notes in the window that said something like "A hot dog stand would be a better investment than a Mr. Sub" until (I assumed) the landlord removed them.

And the big corner unit that used to be the ugly pharmacy is being converted to a Starbucks. Odd, considering there is already one at King and George which can't be more than 100 steps away. When will I stop being surprised by that...

So much java suddenly in one hood. Weird.

Speaking of, the new cafe in the Distillery District -- Cafe Uno -- is excellent. Great coffee, great desserts, great selection of pasta/salads, etc. A little pricey, but this is Oakville East, so... :p

To update some earlier conversations, two new businesses are opening on the ground floor of 120 Front St East (that's the northeast corner of Front St. and George, just east of Jarvis, with the Rogers Video).

A new Subway franchise is replacing the defunct Mr. Sub. I don't know why, but that kind of makes me laugh, especially since when the Mr. Sub was first shuttered the old owner taped sarcastic handwritten notes in the window that said something like "A hot dog stand would be a better investment than a Mr. Sub" until (I assumed) the landlord removed them.

And the big corner unit that used to be the ugly pharmacy is being converted to a Starbucks. Odd, considering there is already one at King and George which can't be more than 100 steps away. When will I stop being surprised by that...

And to your point, there is already a Subway at King and Sherbourne, which is also about 100 steps away. If I were a franchisee I'd be pissed but not much you can do, I guess.

There's also one on Church, just north of Front/ I guess a sub is like coffee: people won't walk far for it, so if you want people to buy yours, you have to have a store everywhere.

I wish the Tea Emporium would expand their First Canadian Place location and open a small tea shop. I'd walk to that. They're the only place selling estate tea that I know of downtown.

A new Quizno's Sub location is opening on Scott St., right beside the Tim Horton's next to Berczy Park. Yet another chain with locations very close together, as there's one already on Front just east of Jarvis.

Rumour has it that Starbucks is moving into the new six storey building currently going up on the northwest corner of Richmond and Sherbourne.
Even though the area is over-java'd, I'd gladly take a Starbuck's on that corner. And too funny as I was saying to simply Dan just the other day that "Turn of the Century Lighting" will likely be a Starbuck's within five years. I wasn't far off!

Rumour has it that Starbucks is moving into the new six storey building currently going up on the northwest corner of Richmond and Sherbourne.

Shame. Cafe 260 a few steps west is a great independent coffee shop, some of the best tasting around, with good food and service, too. Just a bit south is Bisogno, a serious Italian espresso joint. I'd hate to see Starbucks dent their businesses; Timmy's is also on that intersection, but I imagine that's a different customer base entirely.

BTW, I noticed the new Starbucks being built at 120 Front St put up a "coming soon" banner about a month ago, and within a day or two the window below it was broken and boarded up. Coincidence? Or am I reading too much into this? Personally I think that corner could use a little gentrifying, myself.

Siegfried’s/George Brown Chef School (King E & Frederick)

Haven't seen this posted. Confirmation that in the base of the new renovated George Brown Chef School building (formerly Pasquale Brothers ~217 King Street East), Seigfreids, moving from the hospitality building.

Going to be a nice addition to the street presence there..

-------------------------------------

George Brown expanding to meet demand

Toronto – George Brown College will open a 3,200-square-foot storefront restaurant and add 18,000 square feet of additional teaching facilities to it Centre for Hospitality and Tourism over the next two-years.

Along with the $20-million physical expansion, the school will also add new academic programs.

The college is making the move at a time when there is a growing demand in the foodservice and hospitality industries for qualified graduates. Full-time culinary and hospitality student enrolment has grown steadily in the past several years, to 2,200. The college is preparing to add another 1,100 students in those areas in the next five years.

There should be no problem for an increased number of graduates finding jobs. The college’s research has found that there is going to be an increased demand of 300,000 employees between now and 2015, says John Higgins, director and corporate chef for the Faculty of Hospitality and Tourism.

The new restaurant is slated to have a soft opening late this year. It will be at the corner of King and Frederick Streets, close to the school which is on Adelaide Street, east of Jarvis. Open to the public, the restaurant will serve lunch and dinner from Monday to Friday. It will replace Siegfried’s, the dining establishment now inside the school, staffed by students. One of the goals for the new restaurant will be to make a profit, says Higgins.

The design will allow people walking along King Street to see into the restaurant, and watch what is going on in the kitchen. It will have 70 seats at street level and a private dining space for 16 to 18 on a lower level.

The new teaching facilities will include a chocolate lab and a pastry lab.

Two top architectural and design firms are working on the school expansion and new restaurant: Kearns Mancini and Gow Hastings.

Currently, Higgins is striving to bring new international programs to George Brown, similar to those offered by culinary institutes in Europe. Higgins and his team have been working closely with Alma in Italy, the Bocuse Institute and Alain Ducasse in France, and culinary and hospitality schools in India.

Also, George Brown is adding courses in catering management, commercial foodservice, and nutritional cuisine. In addition, it is increasing post diploma programs in the areas of food concept management, culinary tourism, advanced Indian and Pan Asian cuisine, and advanced pastry arts.

EDIT:

Add link to Siegfried’s:
http://www.georgebrown.ca/diningroom/index.aspx

Sign up requesting a minor variance for 117 & 119 George Street (the building with the First Gulf signs on it). They are looking to put a grocery store on the ground floor.

Back