1.7K     0 
News   Jul 12, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Restaurants/Coffee Shops - St. Lawrence/King East

adma

Superstar
Member Bio
Reaction score
Is the restaurant (Pakistani? Bangladeshi? The one where all the taxi drivers go to) still open?

Retail: Restaurants/Coffee Shops - St. Lawrence/King East

In what is probably the shortest-lived bakery in recent history, La Petite Patisserie (King, just east of Sherbourne in the Abbey Lofts building) is closed already! It must have been opened for a max. of two weeks. I tried one of their tasty eclairs, but last week the space was darkened and this week the interior was stripped bare!

I think it's another cursed location. Prior to the bakery, there was the short-lived "Dinner and DVD" place, but that only lasted a few months. The space sat empty for years!

I'd agree, it's not the most inviting retail space. Would'nt anyone with a commercial/retail lease have to sign at the very least for a year ?

On another note,
Modern Weave
http://www.modernweave.ca

moving into the space previously occupied by Harvest House at 160 King Street East

Yikes! That carpet on their website is hideous! But at least it's organic.
The former Young Thailand on Church just north of Adelaide closed earlier this year, and signs are up for another Thai restaurant to replace it. I think it's called "Ivory Thai." It's in for stiff competition with Golden Thai and Go/Spring Rolls within spitting distance.

Charlies Charbroil (King and Sherborne)

Formerly Charlie's Charbroil restaurant at King and Sherborne (which closed down approximately 1 month ago, sad to have seen it go after all those years) has been leased..

Not sure to whom, but would be nice to see another food operation..

downtown east

There are a few new things going on that I've been wondering about in the downtown east area:

- The gift shop in the same building as Charlie's (mentioned above) that was called The Good Neighbour, has also closed. The owner moved around the corner to a unit on Sherbourne just north of Front, and opened a new store called The Monkey's Uncle. I'm not clear on whether the new lease in the Charlie's location also covers that unit, and if so, what's going in there.

- A new "espresso bar" is apparently opening in the base of the King's Court condos on the northeast corner of King and Sherbourne. The unit is the northernmost one on the Sherbourne side. It's been under reno for a month or so, so it should be opening soon.

- A bit further west on King, the two units that were formerly Chocolate Lounge and a grungy Coffee Time have been under continuous reno for months. One permit on the window says something like "restaurant for 30 or more patrons" but what I've glimpsed through the windows looks more like an office than a restaurant. Anyone know what might be going into that space?

- Just south of there, two retail units have been recently leased in the condo with Rogers Video on the north side of Front street between Frederick and George. These were formerly a Mr. Sub franchise, and the corner pharmacy that was attached to the old methadone clinic. Anyone have any word on what's going in either of those spaces?

- And finally, the long awaited TD Canada Trust in the Market Square building by the St. Lawrence Market is finally opening next Monday, July 23rd.

Formerly Charlie's Charbroil restaurant at King and Sherborne (which closed down approximately 1 month ago, sad to have seen it go after all those years) has been leased..

Not sure to whom, but would be nice to see another food operation..
Charlies, operated by Bill and wife Tsula was my breakfast hangout for 25 years and by far the best value in T.O. I will miss it 2. The property is owned by the law office next to it and is slated for a condo project. The leases are (or were) being offered at max 1 year so the owners can keep their options open.

There are a few new things going on that I've been wondering about in the downtown east area:

- The gift shop in the same building as Charlie's (mentioned above) that was called The Good Neighbour, has also closed. The owner moved around the corner to a unit on Sherbourne just north of Front, and opened a new store called The Monkey's Uncle. I'm not clear on whether the new lease in the Charlie's location also covers that unit, and if so, what's going in there.

- A new "espresso bar" is apparently opening in the base of the King's Court condos on the northeast corner of King and Sherbourne. The unit is the northernmost one on the Sherbourne side. It's been under reno for a month or so, so it should be opening soon.

- A bit further west on King, the two units that were formerly Chocolate Lounge and a grungy Coffee Time have been under continuous reno for months. One permit on the window says something like "restaurant for 30 or more patrons" but what I've glimpsed through the windows looks more like an office than a restaurant. Anyone know what might be going into that space?

- Just south of there, two retail units have been recently leased in the condo with Rogers Video on the north side of Front street between Frederick and George. These were formerly a Mr. Sub franchise, and the corner pharmacy that was attached to the old methadone clinic. Anyone have any word on what's going in either of those spaces?

- And finally, the long awaited TD Canada Trust in the Market Square building by the St. Lawrence Market is finally opening next Monday, July 23rd.

See my reply to Beaconer below re Charlies and Neighbour. Also what was Chocolate is planned as a commercial office space, the owner fed up with the party crowd that inhabited previously.

Thanks for the info spacemax.

Yeap, can't beat a lunch of a hearty burger, fries and a pop for $5.50. Breakfast was very reasonable too.

I guess there's always the Patrician Grill and Le Petit Dejeuner(if you can handle the line ups on weekends) for breakfast.

Spacemax, do you know if they are also trying to incorporate the law office on south-east corner into this proposed condo development? Isn't it deemed historical?

If it is just the old Good Neighbour/Charlies Building, that's quite a thin lot to builid a condo.

PukeGreen: I believe the Espresso Bar is now open..

Looks like a new restaurant coming into the Wellington/Front Street East strip.

Where Pravda used to be (beside Trevors close to Reservoir Lounge), signs are up in the window for hiring for a new restaurant Lucien.

Pravda took over the Brack Electronics, renovations are on-going.

Discussed a few posts back, the new tenant in the old Charlie's Charbroil Restaurant at King and Sherbourne is a place called Nazs Falafel House.

Back