News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     5 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 670     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

I borrowed your pic for a tweet. Unfortunately, the chain isn't on Twitter.

Frosted glass windows or decorated glass are a big thing in the UK. Typically only traditional British pubs do it.

If done right, it doesn't look too bad. Most pubs only frost half the glass.
typical-london-pub-guests-front-england-june-sitting-tables-99457620.jpg

Holy crap am I taking heat for that tweet. Got some "freedom" peeps calling me all sorts. I was being a bit in jest when I said "illegal," but that's lost on them.
Welcome to Elon Musk's Xitter.

Note that the first letter of Xitter makes an "sh" sound just like in the Pinyin romanization of Mandarin as well as in the Aztec language of Nahuatl.

Interesting article from BlogTO. Apparently, alot of the McDonalds in malls are closing.

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2024/02/mcdonalds-toronto-cedarbrae-closing/

So far the following have closed recently

• Oshawa Centre
  • Eglinton Square
  • Bridlewood Mall
  • Cedarbrae Mall
There may be others as I suspect this is a trend.

@Northern Light you seem to have insight into random things to the point I wonder if you and the SEC are a first name basis. Do you happen to know what is going on here?

Interesting article from BlogTO. Apparently, alot of the McDonalds in malls are closing.

https://www.blogto.com/eat_drink/2024/02/mcdonalds-toronto-cedarbrae-closing/

So far the following have closed recently

• Oshawa Centre
  • Eglinton Square
  • Bridlewood Mall
  • Cedarbrae Mall
There may be others as I suspect this is a trend.

@Northern Light you seem to have insight into random things to the point I wonder if you and the SEC are a first name basis. Do you happen to know what is going on here?

I don't have any inside sources at McDs.....

But offhand, I would note that all of those properties are either subject to proposed development, or will be.

2 out of the 4 have definitely seen significant footfall reductions (fewer customers, shorter mall hours, not sure about the other two).

My guess would be that in at least a couple of cases, McDs is just making a move ahead of redevelopment; while in one or two others, I suspect business is off enough to merit either closure or relocation. But that's just a guess on my part.

I went to check if it's $2 burger day at A&W and noticed this, which looks interesting:

On Monday, that Canada-wide status was truly solidified when A&W Canada launched the spicy piri piri potato buddy from coast to coast.

The $3.99 sandwich consists of a hash brown garnished with red onion, lettuce, tomato and a spicy sauce and placed between two toasted buns. It is available for a limited time, along with versions made with a breaded chicken breast or a beef patty.

The hash-brown-based sandwich is not just a triumph for Dhillon's customers and staff, but also a window into current sensibilities shaping fast-food operations.

The sandwich is spicy, South Asian-inspired, meatless, affordable and derived from customers "hacking" orders -- all traits chains are increasingly targeting these days.

Mad Radish will be opening a new location at King and Yonge, beside Starbucks, where the "box'd by Paramount" used to be.

I concur

But it will be a huge success. First location 345 bloor street east.

Perhaps, U.S. resto/fastfood chains have a decidedly mixed track record here.

For every Chick-Fil-A, there's a Carl's Junior, a PF Chang and a Panera.

Arguably, their closest comparitor in this market might be Denny's..........which has never done particularly well here.

Back