News   Apr 26, 2024
 2.5K     4 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 653     0 
News   Apr 26, 2024
 1.3K     1 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

I concur

Perhaps, U.S. resto/fastfood chains have a decidedly mixed track record here.

For every Chick-Fil-A, there's a Carl's Junior, a PF Chang and a Panera.

Arguably, their closest comparitor in this market might be Denny's..........which has never done particularly well here.

I'm quite partial to the Perkins on Dixon Road, which has a scattered presence in Canada.

I concur

Perhaps, U.S. resto/fastfood chains have a decidedly mixed track record here.

For every Chick-Fil-A, there's a Carl's Junior, a PF Chang and a Panera.

Arguably, their closest comparitor in this market might be Denny's..........which has never done particularly well here.
I wonder how the Denny's at Bay and Dundas is doing. It's a 2 minute walk from my work and I've passed it hundreds of times yet have never felt much of an urge to try it out. Never looks very busy either.

I wonder how the Denny's at Bay and Dundas is doing. It's a 2 minute walk from my work and I've passed it hundreds of times yet have never felt much of an urge to try it out. Never looks very busy either.

When U.S. chains fail here; I find its often because they fail to study the local market and simply assume: America North.

Tastes are different, and price expectations are different.

I think they also often fail to properly consider local labour market and supply chain issues.

So, for instance, a chain reliant on being the low-cost option in the market, and famous for its 'slams' prices those as low as single-digits in many U.S. markets, but rarely far above $10USD

A quick glance online shows a Lumberjack Slam at one U.S. Dennys at $11.39USD; in Toronto, that dish is $18.99CAD

Straight exchange rate would be the dish at $15.38 in CAD.

Now the pricing here is roughly in line w/what you might pay at Cora's.

But I would argue, that the value perception is different; and that people who find Denny's appealing in the U.S. might think its not as good a value here.

Last edited:
I don't have any inside sources at McDs.....

But offhand, I would note that all of those properties are either subject to proposed development, or will be.

2 out of the 4 have definitely seen significant footfall reductions (fewer customers, shorter mall hours, not sure about the other two).

My guess would be that in at least a couple of cases, McDs is just making a move ahead of redevelopment; while in one or two others, I suspect business is off enough to merit either closure or relocation. But that's just a guess on my part.
The bridlewood mall one is rumored to a burger king or dairy queen (I believe the former is expanding/remodelling to compete).

The food court here is difficult to find a seat midday, but imagine it's mostly seniors and students at the nearby gym; so perhaps not enough food/meal sales.

The food court here is difficult to find a seat midday, but imagine it's mostly seniors and students at the nearby gym; so perhaps not enough food/meal sales.

That is one of things that killed a few restaurants in Eglinton Square.

The McDonalds there was well known for their "Senior Coffee" meaning Coffee with a Senior discount. It was a meeting place for the youthfully challenged.

When U.S. chains fail here; I find its often because they fail to study the local market and simply assume: America North.

I think they also often fail to properly consider local labour market and supply chain issues.

So, for instance, a chain reliant on being the low-cost option in the market, and famous for its 'slams' prices those as low as single-digits in many U.S. markets, but rarely far above $10USD

A quick glance online shows a Lumberjack Slam at one U.S. Dennys at $11.39USD; in Toronto, that dish is $18.99CAD

But I would argue, that the value perception is different; and that people who find Denny's appealing in the U.S. might think its not as good a value here.

Some restaurants are actually more expensive in the US than here.

When I walked to the Arbys in Niagara Falls NY last year, I paid more for food there than I would here with the exchange rate.

Flo's Diner at 70 Yorkville Ave will close at the end of March 2024 after 33 years in business:

Oh no! Must be a development in the works. :( I will miss Flo's , its one of the few decent breakfast places in Yorkville without the Yorkville prices.

Last edited:

Buffalo Wild Wings also failed because of the pricing. Thy are known for cheap drinks and large beer selection in the US. Here in Ontario they got to deal with the Beer Store and LCBO cartels. So no cheap happy hour deals, and a very limited selection of craft beers to choose from.

Buffalo Wild Wings also failed because of the pricing. Thy are known for cheap drinks and large beer selection in the US. Here in Ontario they got to deal with the Beer Store and LCBO cartels. So no cheap happy hour deals, and a very limited selection of craft beers to choose from.

The manner in which beer/wine/spirits are priced for 'wholesale' to restos in Ontario is a problem; irrespective of any U.S. chains.

The pricing is simply excessive (90% to 100%) of retail.

You can do 'Happy Hour' in Ontario.....but there are restraints above and beyond the wholesale pricing regime.

The one thing I won't accept from the above is the selection of Craft Beer argument:

1) The LCBO actually carries a pretty deep range of craft beef

2) You can deal directly w/Ontario Brewers to carry their product. Though pricing regulations apply.

I will say, I was never tempted to eat at Wild Wings, and the booze selection/price was really never the problem.......for me; more an issue of 'ambiance' and 'menu'

iagara Falls NY last year, I paid more for food there than I would here with the exchange rate.
Niagara Falls on both sides of the border (at least in the tourist hubs) is more like an airport or theme park. They have a captive market of tourists and don't use real-world pricing.

My husband, who is an American and once managed a Denny's in Georgia, said it's the worst Denny's he's ever been to.

Niagara Falls on both sides of the border (at least in the tourist hubs) is more like an airport or theme park. They have a captive market of tourists and don't use real-world pricing.

Just in the areas within a 20-30 minute walking distance from the falls. The chain restaurants next to the QEW or I-190 are the same prices as those anywhere else.

Though it’s not as bad in NFNY as it is in NFON. The only other place (outside of a sports venue, airport, or amusement park) I can think of where the prices are marked up as bad is at Times Square.

Hold on...........LOL

Wendys wants to test 'surge pricing' or dynamic pricing...........such that your burger combo may cost significantly more or less depending on time of day and how busy they are............

This sounds like a PR disaster of enormous proportions.

Not my establishment of choice............but I'm just imagining the few Wendys I ever see really busy, typically ones w/drive-thrus, in evening rush.........and imagine those drivers facing 50% premiums on their orders for having the temerity to order dinner at dinner time, LOL

Hold on...........LOL

Wendys wants to test 'surge pricing' or dynamic pricing...........such that your burger combo may cost significantly more or less depending on time of day and how busy they are............

This sounds like a PR disaster of enormous proportions.

Not my establishment of choice............but I'm just imagining the few Wendys I ever see really busy, typically ones w/drive-thrus, in evening rush.........and imagine those drivers facing 50% premiums on their orders for having the temerity to order dinner at dinner time, LOL

Yeaaa this is going to go about as well as New Coke!

I can just see the confusion now regarding how much the food will cost and people complaining (rightfully so) about it. Keep one price, not several based on demand.

Back