News   May 10, 2024
 772     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 925     0 
News   May 10, 2024
 954     0 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

It seems like the market will sort this problem out pretty effectively. Cafe owners will decide if they want their cafe to be a coworking space, a social space, or something in between. I go to a lot of coffee shops, and they're mostly not that different than 5-10 years ago. Maybe a little more people talking on the phone/zoom/teams than before? (Which is on the rude side of the spectrum, but not inexcusable.)

It seems like the market will sort this problem out pretty effectively. Cafe owners will decide if they want their cafe to be a coworking space, a social space, or something in between. I go to a lot of coffee shops, and they're mostly not that different than 5-10 years ago. Maybe a little more people talking on the phone/zoom/teams than before? (Which is on the rude side of the spectrum, but not inexcusable.)

here are some suggestions...

1-hour free wifi limit, shrink the table size to fit 2 coffee cups, no laptop policy from certain hours of the day, no loud voices...again cafe owners are at the mercy of customers and any bad experience will cause loyal customers never come back. Given Toronto has so many cafes it's not hard to find a new replacement one.

I did that once in a Starbucks near Pittsburgh, and I gave up after an hour when I realized their boring soundtrack was on repeat. Noise-cancelling headphones or ear plugs are essential, especially in December. After 59 seasons, I can hardly tolerate a single minute of holiday music.
I'll agree to an extent - holiday music by modern top 40 "artists" is unlistenable trash. Classical is the way to go.

And/Ore's "Mystery tasting menu" - only $150! What a bargain! The decor honestly looks stunning and I'd love to chill in a spot like that (preferably in the booty shorts), but what the hell would I order there?

And the "new' Old York Tavern - 16 bucks (plus tax and tip!) for small handful of friggin' potato chips. CHIPS. I can't even with this level of silliness.

Do these restaurant owners believe with a straight face that they'll survive long term beyond the initial novelty period??

I did that once in a Starbucks near Pittsburgh, and I gave up after an hour when I realized their boring soundtrack was on repeat. Noise-cancelling headphones or ear plugs are essential, especially in December. After 59 seasons, I can hardly tolerate a single minute of holiday music.

I miss the days where Starbucks had actual furniture, not this commercial seating that we have now. Nothing quite like a latte in a proper leather Chesterfield chair.

The 1990s cafe vibe was so much better than this commercialized crap we have now.

I miss the days where Starbucks had actual furniture, not this commercial seating that we have now. Nothing quite like a latte in a proper leather Chesterfield chair.

The 1990s cafe vibe was so much better than this commercialized crap we have now.
The only Starbucks that I sort of miss is the one in the Junction - it even had a fireplace!

The only Starbucks that I sort of miss is the one in the Junction - it even had a fireplace!

The one at Yonge and Bloor (Britnell Bookstore) was amazing. It had that old-school charm that made it so amazing for dates.

The former location at Christie and Dupont was in a former bank which gave it its own charm.

The one at Yonge and Bloor (Britnell Bookstore) was amazing. It had that old-school charm that made it so amazing for dates.

The former location at Christie and Dupont was in a former bank which gave it its own charm.
And that's a Popeye's now...ugh.

Back