News   May 09, 2024
 476     0 
News   May 09, 2024
 791     1 

Restaurant Comings & Goings

👀

Basic small greek salad: $14
Reuben sandwich (no sides): $24
Eight-piece fried chicken with coleslaw, biscuits, a caesar salad, pickles, fries and gravy. $85

Only the salad is merely 'slightly excessive/fully priced' the others are just nuts.

The recent episode of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (season 2, episode 3) is set mostly in Toronto - as Toronto!, and not another city - and there is a scene in a restaurant The Lakeview. I originally thought it was a made up name but maybe it's exactly the same one!

The recent episode of Star Trek: Strange New Worlds (season 2, episode 3) is set mostly in Toronto - as Toronto!, and not another city - and there is a scene in a restaurant The Lakeview. I originally thought it was a made up name but maybe it's exactly the same one!
1000x415_smart_fit.jpg

For people wondering, this was not set in a future Toronto, but a current Toronto to where a character was sent back in time.

It was also an alternate reality Toronto, though it was explicitly noted to not be significantly different from what we know now, with only small changes to the timeline being made to that point.

But on to the fun part: the episode establishes as cannon that in both the Star Trek Prime Timeline (the basis of the TV shows and the pre-2009 movies) and in alternate reality timelines there was a Great Lakes Bridge that was constructed in the early 2000's that runs from Toronto across the whole of Lake Ontario to some point presumably in New York State (it is specified only that the bridge is a symbol of "International Cooperation").

The bridge is also (at least partially) destroyed in both the prime and alternate timelines, for slightly different reasons, but in the Prime timeline it was one of a long series of events that leads to World War 3 on Earth.
And yes, they have played with the start date of WWIII many times over the Star Trek franchises from as early as the late 1980's to as far out as the 2050's, but they are relatively consistent on the cause of it, though I won't spoil that part of the episode for you.

Last edited:
For people wondering, this was not set in a future Toronto, but a current Toronto to where a character was sent back in time.

It was also an alternate reality Toronto, though it was explicitly noted to not be significantly different from what we know now, with only small changes to the timeline being made to that point.

But on to the fun part: the episode establishes as cannon that in both the Star Trek Prime Timeline (the basis of the TV shows and the pre-2009 movies) and in alternate reality timelines there was a Great Lakes Bridge that was constructed in the early 2000's that runs from Toronto across the whole of Lake Ontario to some point presumably in New York State (it is specified only that the bridge is a symbol of "International Cooperation").

The bridge is also (at least partially) destroyed in both the prime and alternate timelines, for slightly different reasons, but in the Prime timeline it was one of a long series of events that leads to World War 3 on Earth.
And yes, they have played with the start date of WWIII many times over the Star Trek franchises from as early as the late 1980's to as far out as the 2050's, but they are relatively consistent on the cause of it, though I won't spoil that part of the episode for you.

Someone clearly knows his ST.

AoD

I feel like Star Trek is rather OT for this thread, but since, for now, we're discussing it here, I will say, I watched the episode.

I'm not a devotee of the franchise, though I'm certainly familiar with it and did watch the last season of Picard.

That outta the way, I was, of course, watching to see what they showcased of our fair city.

They shot this one in the cold weather, of course, LOL, so the American view of our City won't change.........

But here's some of what we see:

-Yonge-Dundas-Square and the Eaton Centre where Kirk initially observes, looks like 21st century New York City.........
Before being corrected by his companion who notes it's clearly Toronto.

-A car chase through downtown, highlighting Commerce Court and Metro Hall, the square of which gets raced over.......

-The Waterfront

- Outside of ROM

- And the source of all evil, genetic experiments and cold fusion reactors.................. The Royal Conservatory of Music! You knew they were covering something up there, didn't you? LOL

- Khan was apparently raised in the RCM. What else could explain a super-human with a keen intellect and a megalomaniac personality?

- Of course, poutine got a shout out, along with our brilliant streetcart hotdogs? LOL

Not sure if this was shared, but it's confirmed the Starbucks outside of the HHOF won't be reopening and that Pigeon will be opening their second downtown Toronto location. The first location opened quietly at 337 King West.

Commentary will be mixed, as the Starbucks was an interesting tenant for the location outside the HHOF, which saw the Spirit of Hockey move from the concourse level to the current location on the ground floor of Brookfield Place a number of years back. The fact that Starbucks didn't re-open this location after the pandemic, while also giving up other nearby leases (including the St Lawrence market at Front street - turned into Au Pain Dore) and not re-opening locations as of yet (like the Royal Bank Plaza location, outside of Union or First Canadian Place, across from Laduree) shows that this was an attempt to put something into a space that sat empty for more than three years.

Back